Biggest Ass Hat in Rock?

ILSnwdog

I think some of these picks are just guys we don't like cause of their opinions on politics etc. I don't particularly like Nugents political rants, but I've never read about him being an asshole to people in general. Same with Simmons, Bono or Springsteen.

I totally agree with Nugent and Simmons. Bono and Springsteen are sanctimonious knobs. :LOL:

But you are right. Having different political views does not make one an asshole.

Being an insufferable twatwaffle about does though. Nuge is a COMPLETE f***ing douche canoe.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 2

And fuck Geoff Tate too for spitting on and then threatening to kill Queensryches drummer, insulting his audience and then smashing a fans phone at a show. Todd LaTorre is an amazing person and fully deserves the be in Queensryche right now.
  • Like 3

I think some of these picks are just guys we don't like cause of their opinions on politics etc. I don't particularly like Nugents political rants, but I've never read about him being an asshole to people in general. Same with Simmons, Bono or Springsteen.

I totally agree with Nugent and Simmons. Bono and Springsteen are sanctimonious knobs. :LOL:

But you are right. Having different political views does not make one an asshole.

Being an insufferable twatwaffle about does though. Nuge is a COMPLETE f***ing douche canoe.

Are you in a band?

I listed Simmons because he just comes across as an arrogant, self important @ss, and thin skinned to boot.

• Like 2

Dave Mustaine

Ted Nugent

Billy Corgan

Gene Simmons

Geoff Tate

Bono

Can you imagine if these guys formed a supergroup? And called it Asshat?

Why does Corgan get thrown into that group?

Or Gene Simmons, for that matter?

I'm not suggesting these are artists I like or don't like. They are just guys I consider asshats. They are either solipsistic, naive, entitled, offensive, just plain irritating, or all of the above. Corgan and Simmons? Do I really need to rundown my evidence base?

I mean, someone mentioned Steve Howe. I absolutely worship Steve Howe the musician. But yeah, he's kind of an asshat--I cannot deny.

I'm just surprised that Corgan and Simmons are people who really bad people...I've never got that sense from them.

Oh, I didn't interpret "asshat" to mean "really bad people." For me the term means insufferable "knobs," to borrow ILSnwdog's term. Just people I probably wouldn't want to be in a room with for more than two minutes. I do think Nugent is a genuinely bad person. Not because of the substance of his political views, but because of the way he delivers them, wrapped in such vitriol and borderline violence. Mustaine's just sort of a pathetic idiot. I am actually a fan of the rest, to varying degrees. Didn't mean to upset anyone. Just joining the conversation.

When I think @sshat I'm thinking pretty much the same: somebody you'd regret meeting if you liked his or her music.

Gene Simmons says idiotic things from time to time. He doesn't seem to have a filter. But, when he visited the Kiss fan with terminal cancer it came across as sincere. It was very touching and decent. I think Gene Simmons, at the end of the day, is a good man.
  • Like 6

Gene Simmons says idiotic things from time to time. He doesn't seem to have a filter. But, when he visited the Kiss fan with terminal cancer it came across as sincere. It was very touching and decent. I think Gene Simmons, at the end of the day, is a good man.

He also gives his time and money to veterans and active military.

From my experience, a good majority of artists are temperamental and insecure. They can also be quite introverted. It doesn't excuse ass hole behavior, but they are definitely a different breed of person. But that's what makes them so amazing in their chosen field. Same with athletes.
  • Like 1

From my experience, a good majority of artists are temperamental and insecure. They can also be quite introverted. It doesn't excuse ass hole behavior, but they are definitely a different breed of person. But that's what makes them so amazing in their chosen field. Same with athletes.

Introverted people can be quite friendly though. An example of this is John Myung of Dream Theater who is the textbook definition of an introvert, but everybody who has met him he's an amazingly lovely guy, albiet very quiet.

• Like 2

Mike Portnoy. i did cartwheels when he stormed off like a bitch from DT

Mick

Nah, Mike might be a dick in some ways but he is one of the most accessible rock musicians alive. Not many guys interact with there fans on the level he does. He is also a really nice guy. I know plenty who have met him including myself that would tell you he is very personable.

He has a big mouth on line sometimes and says some stuff better left unsaid and that gets him in trouble, but I would not say he's a bad guy.

My pick is...

Yngwie Malmsteen. Opened up for him in the 90's and when I met him in his dressing room before my band played he was one of the most self righteous arrogant dicks I have ever encountered.

• Like 3

He also gives his time and money to veterans and active military.

I suspect every person that has ever lived would have people that would defend them as having good qualities, or having done good things. And they'd be right. Simmons isn't evil, as near as I can tell. I just think he comes off a jerk. But my sample size is pretty small of course.

Are you in a band?

The fabulous douchecanoes :)
  • Like 2

I've heard Mellencamp is an ass to deal with... I have some friends from Bloomington that have heard a LOT of bad things about the guy!

In his defense ... most people around here know if you see him you don't run up and try to talk to him or get a pic ... he will do those things at certain times in certain places but not when he is just going to the store or trying to have dinner etc. ... I've seen him a few times around town and I just know not to mess with him ... I'm cool with it ... now all thins doesn't mean he wasn't actually a dick to someone here and there ... he just likes to live his life around here without being bothered too much

• Like 2

Mike Portnoy. i did cartwheels when he stormed off like a bitch from DT

Mick

Yngwie Malmsteen. Opened up for him in the 90's and when I met him in his dressing room before my band played he was one of the most self righteous arrogant dicks I have ever encountered.

Pretty much all of his former bandmates hate him now.

I've heard Mellencamp is an ass to deal with... I have some friends from Bloomington that have heard a LOT of bad things about the guy!

In his defense ... most people around here know if you see him you don't run up and try to talk to him or get a pic ... he will do those things at certain times in certain places but not when he is just going to the store or trying to have dinner etc. ... I've seen him a few times around town and I just know not to mess with him ... I'm cool with it ... now all thins doesn't mean he wasn't actually a dick to someone here and there ... he just likes to live his life around here without being bothered too much

Well that's just normal... I had a friend that lived in NYC, and he said that it was horrible to watch people just walking up to actors and musicians, and just bugging the living crap out of them! One person he felt totally sorry for was Jerry Seinfeld! Said people were always bothering him...

But the few that I've spoken with said that it's just general crap with him..wait staff at restaurants, and all that...

who is the biggest asshole in rock? :huh:

Let the debate begin! :LOL:

Definitely Thomas Jefferson.

http://www.preyerplanning.com/images/rushmore-arch/mt-rushmore-11.jpg

• Like 5

who is the biggest asshole in rock? :huh:

Let the debate begin! :LOL:

Definitely Thomas Jefferson.

http://www.preyerplanning.com/images/rushmore-arch/mt-rushmore-11.jpg

A bigger asshat than Teddy? I don't think so!

• Like 1

Well that's just normal... I had a friend that lived in NYC, and he said that it was horrible to watch people just walking up to actors and musicians, and just bugging the living crap out of them! One person he felt totally sorry for was Jerry Seinfeld! Said people were always bothering him...

But the few that I've spoken with said that it's just general crap with him..wait staff at restaurants, and all that...

I have a buddy who has had direct contact with him, from a music/ tech/ TV production point of view and said he is not pleasant person.

Edited by custom55

Pretty much all of his former bandmates hate him now.
I met Mark Boals in Las Vegas in July 2015 (he was performing in a show called "Raiding the Rock Vault". One of the nicest people I have ever met, in any situation. We spent about an hour sitting in the Tropicana taking about music. He had some very interesting stories. I must say however that he did not have anything bad to say about Malmsteen.

I have a buddy who has had direct contact with him, from a music/ tech/ TV production point of view and said he is not pleasant person.

John Mellencamp or Jerry Seinfeld? Just curious. I'm a little tired today, was having trouble understanding which one, in case I run into them ??!! :P :P

• Like 1

I'm gonna retract my defence of Blackmore. After watching the RRHOF Deep Purple induction, Blackmore was a spiteful dick for not attending. If the fans were not worthy of him attending, he could have at least attended out of respect for John Lord.
  • Like 1

Wait until they stop coming up to a celebrity, and see if they like that better.