Would you say wearing a hat indoors is rude?

Brucey

Wearing a hat indoors  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is it rude?

• Yes
    • No

Jesus Christ, we're bored.

HEY! Actually yeah you're right

:LOL: I still voted no although i do pull my brothers hat off of her wears out in the house.

If by house you mean your own home, then who cares?

Or are your parents strict?

It doesn't bother me, personally. One problem is, once you've committed to wearing a hat for the day, then you've got the "hat-head" problem. People should respect hat-wearers' right to hide their dented hair.

Haha!

Apparently hat-hair is a look for some young guys.

I'll remove my hat.

If I'm wearing a bandana, no.

Jesus Christ, we're bored.

HEY! Actually yeah you're right

:LOL: I still voted no although i do pull my brothers hat off of her wears out in the house.

If by house you mean your own home, then who cares?

Or are your parents strict?

No, i just like to annoy him :LOL:

To head far south of the original topic, if you've been wearing your shoes all day and you know your feet stink, is it okay to announce that your feet are toxic and request to leave your shoes on after vigorously wiping the soles of your shoes on the mat, or is it better to just take them off and hope that nobody notices? Or is foot powder de rigeur in all situations? Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

I remove as much as possible once inside . Hat, shoes and pants. Wherever i go this my rule

:LOL: I am having a craptacular day here at work - that made me laugh, so thank you, djflex :cheers:

No. If it bugs someone, let 'em make it known, Then I'LL decide if I wanna take it off, or tell 'em to MIND THEIR OWN BUSINESS! LOL

To head far south of the original topic, if you've been wearing your shoes all day and you know your feet stink, is it okay to announce that your feet are toxic and request to leave your shoes on after vigorously wiping the soles of your shoes on the mat, or is it better to just take them off and hope that nobody notices? Or is foot powder de rigeur in all situations?

That's an interesting question. When this has happened to me in the past, I've been too embarrassed to admit that my feet stink, so I just took them off and......no one's ever said anything to me, probably through politeness, when really they knew full well that smell was me.

• Like 1

To head far south of the original topic, if you've been wearing your shoes all day and you know your feet stink, is it okay to announce that your feet are toxic and request to leave your shoes on after vigorously wiping the soles of your shoes on the mat, or is it better to just take them off and hope that nobody notices? Or is foot powder de rigeur in all situations?

Here in Japan, shoes are off:

- in ALL household residences

- in some restaurants

- in the occasional office

- in most schools (kindergarten-high school)

I change my socks frequently because I don't want to be known as the stinky feet foreigner dude. I also have a longstanding relation with foot powder.

Other: Given that I know my shoes often come on and off wherever I go, I own very few pairs of shoes with laces...some sneakers and hiking boots and that's it. 95% of my shoes are slip ons.

• Like 1

Not rude at all in my personal opinion.

The hat must be part of the clothing, it's all about style.

Note: If you're talking about wearing a hat where a culture differs a lot from yours, you better check how the dress code works.

Edited by rhyv
  • Like 1

- in some restaurants

I change my socks frequently because I don't want to be known as the stinky feet foreigner dude. I also have a longstanding relation with foot powder.

Other: Given that I know my shoes often come on and off wherever I go, I own very few pairs of shoes with laces...some sneakers and hiking boots and that's it. 95% of my shoes are slip ons.

It still seems so arcane. Bur, when in Rome...or Japan as it were.

Yeah i only have one pair of boots with laces. I have work shoes that I would never wear in the house. Also I keep them in my car so I don't forget them.

- in some restaurants

It still seems so arcane. Bur, when in Rome...or Japan as it were.

Yeah i only have one pair of boots with laces. I have work shoes that I would never wear in the house. Also I keep them in my car so I don't forget them.

In most cases, I agree with the "arcane" comment.

Taking shoes off has some basis in trying to remain clean...but there's a long history of this custom that goes beyond JUST being clean.

Schools aren't THAT clean out here. On average, they're about the same as those stateside. In most schools, kids take off their shoes at the building entrance then slip on their school slippers. YET the halls & classrooms are still not truly clean. Then the kids wear those same slippers in various parts of the school grounds (sometimes outside) and go right back inside...which, of course, brings that dirt INSIDE the building. But since the mentality is that it's the school grounds/property, the slippers are worn. If you follow this possibly dizzying explanation, you'll find that the shoe thang in this particular case is more about keeping in line with the ((arcane)) custom of not wearing shoes in the building than it is about keeping school halls and classrooms clean.

However, wearing shoes in the house does seem pretty gross to me...now. All the funk that we step on out there in a typical day: sidewalks, city streets, public restrooms, etc....THEN we trample that funk inside our cribs. Despite wiping our shoe soles on the entrance mat, it's still a pretty dirty affair.

Let's just say we have several pairs of slippers for guests to choose from before entering Casa de Blaze. Just don't use the soft pink ones with the bear faces on them...they're my spare pair that have a mop-like sole that I use to walk and sweep simultaneously. :blaze:

No,

I don't give a fu** what people say or think. Now if I was at a fancy restaurant sure. But at home I wear a hat all the time.

Hey, welcome back Trout Dude!

• Like 1

No,

I don't give a fu** what people say or think. Now if I was at a fancy restaurant sure. But at home I wear a hat all the time.

Definitely in this case: your house, your rules.

But I have had some older locals essentially call me crazy and look down on me because I was wearing a hat inside [even though it was my own house]. It took a lot for me not to drop the F-bomb on them followed by "you!". But I let them have their say (gritting my teeth the whole time) and finally replied, "In some cultures, and depending on the generation, it isn't unusual or rude in any way to wear a hat indoors."

Other:

They think I'm nuts when I wear a short sleeve shirt inside in the winter. They believe since it's winter that I shouldn't be wearing short sleeve shirts...even though it may actually be 84 degrees inside and sweating bullets.

• Like 2

No,

Definitely in this case: your house, your rules.

But I have had some older locals essentially call me crazy and look down on me because I was wearing a hat inside [even though it was my own house]. It took a lot for me not to drop the F-bomb on them followed by "you!". But I let them have their say (gritting my teeth the whole time) and finally replied, "In some cultures, and depending on the generation, it isn't unusual or rude in any way to wear a hat indoors."

Other:

They think I'm nuts when I wear a short sleeve shirt inside in the winter. They believe since it's winter that I shouldn't be wearing short sleeve shirts...even though it may actually be 84 degrees inside and sweating bullets.

With me,

It depends on the weather and how I feel. Like now, I have on my warm fishing hat. It's my body and what ever it takes to feel comfortable that's what I will do. I just don't understand why people would give a sh** if some one has a hat on or not.

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

I know that I'm regressing a little here, but here it goes.

When I was younger and had more hair, I used to think baseball caps were cool. So did my friends, it was a group thing. Anyway, we each had quire a collection. Either worn forward like a ball cap should be (and with a slightly bent bill), or backwards like a catcher. Ball team and football logos basically, nothing too loud. Not worn like some douches do today, too high on the head or sideways.

Anyway, my future Father In Law hated it. Just hated it. Even outdoors, and in his yard out in the sun would ask me to take them off. OK Pops, no problem. My wife didnt' care, I think she liked it as much as anything else I'd wear or not wear.

So then we get married, all on my own coin. Bought a house, etc. So i'm still wearing my hats. The very first day her parents came over for dinner, I wore it to the dinner table. He was so pissed off, I thought he was going to explode. But he kept it in... glaring at me the whole afternoon though. LOL. I never let up for all those years...let him simmer in his own juices. After all, what was I doing wrong? Wearing a NY Yankees baseball cap in my own home?

That's what i think about the argument. If you're going to get that worked up over something so benign, you don't have much else to worry about, and need to get a life. Deserve the stress. I think it's funny actually.

Edited by grep
  • Like 3

I know that I'm regressing a little here, but here it goes.

When I was younger and had more hair, I used to think baseball caps were cool. So did my friends, it was a group thing. Anyway, we each had quire a collection. Either worn forward like a ball cap should be (and with a slightly bent bill), or backwards like a catcher. Ball team and football logos basically, nothing too loud. Not worn like some douches do today, too high on the head or sideways.

Anyway, my future Father In Law hated it. Just hated it. Even outdoors, and in his yard out in the sun would ask me to take them off. OK Pops, no problem. My wife didnt' care, I think she liked it as much as anything else I'd wear or not wear.

So then we get married, all on my own coin. Bought a house, etc. So i'm still wearing my hats. The very first day her parents came over for dinner, I wore it to the dinner table. He was so pissed off, I thought he was going to explode. But he kept it in... glaring at me the whole afternoon though. LOL. I never let up for all those years...let him simmer in his own juices. After all, what was I doing wrong? Wearing a NY Yankees baseball cap in my own home?

That's what i think about the argument. If you're going to get that worked up over something so benign, you don't have much else to worry about, and need to get a life. Deserve the stress. I think it's funny actually.

:LOL:

Simmer in his juices!!!! Good!

• Like 3

no what the hell Im not 80

But hey, half the board is closer to 80 than they are 18.

Chew on that.

Egads, now you really made me feel old. At least my brain still thinks I'm eighteen, even if my body sometimes makes little "oof" noises when I get up :codger:

• Like 4