Sellouts! - What's your definition of a "sellout"?

Slime

Being a sellout is easy to define. If a band's debut doesn't blow up, but they do develop a following, the album they release that achieves the most mainstream success is when they've sold out. Back in Black, Moving Pictures, Eliminator, 90125 and the black album are all examples of selling out. It doesn't matter if the songs on a sell out album happen to be so good that it's easily understandable why people who aren't hardcore fans like them. What matters is that people who don't know what type of strings the guitarist used on the debut album like them. They aren't real fans. Real fans know that, without fail, a band's more obscure material is its best.

The best music depends on the listener. Not a strict set of rules.

Being a sellout is easy to define. If a band's debut doesn't blow up, but they do develop a following, the album they release that achieves the most mainstream success is when they've sold out. Back in Black, Moving Pictures, Eliminator, 90125 and the black album are all examples of selling out. It doesn't matter if the songs on a sell out album happen to be so good that it's easily understandable why people who aren't hardcore fans like them. What matters is that people who don't know what type of strings the guitarist used on the debut album like them. They aren't real fans. Real fans know that, without fail, a band's more obscure material is its best.

I agree. Sometimes the most popular songs can still be the best. Look at a song like Subdivisions, it's considered one of Rush's best by most of the fans.

Phil Collins, maybe? But, he has a net worth of nearly 250 million, so I guess it was okay to "sell out."

I agree. Sometimes the most popular songs can still be the best. Look at a song like Subdivisions, it's considered one of Rush's best by most of the fans.

It is. But outside of Rush fans, not many people know it. The type of scorn I'm talking about would be reserved for Tom Sawyer. Real fans don't listen to that. Or Owner of a Lonely Heart. Or Sharp Dressed Man. Or Enter Sandman. Those might as well have been written for Selena Gomez.

Shirley you cant be sirius.

It is. But outside of Rush fans, not many people know it. The type of scorn I'm talking about would be reserved for Tom Sawyer. Real fans don't listen to that. Or Owner of a Lonely Heart. Or Sharp Dressed Man. Or Enter Sandman. Those might as well have been written for Selena Gomez.

This is dumb. Tom Sawyer is hardly formulaic radio fodder, even for the day. And Moving Pictures is regarded as a major quality masterwork both by the media AND the fans.

Real fans enjoy what they enjoy. They don't treat their love like a badge of honour that separates them from the rest of the music world.

This is dumb. Tom Sawyer is hardly formulaic radio fodder, even for the day. And Moving Pictures is regarded as a major quality masterwork both by the media AND the fans.

Real fans enjoy what they enjoy. They don't treat their love like a badge of honour that separates them from the rest of the music world.

The Rush Forum even voted Moving Pictures as our 3rd favorite overall. Permanent Waves, another success was at one or two.

• Like 1

The Rush Forum even voted Moving Pictures as our 3rd favorite overall. Permanent Waves, another success was at one or two.

Totally agree! Real fans love all these songs, and whilst these are the Rush hits, in a sense they never really were "hits" to begin with.

And the hits were great songs!

That explains then why I love the song even to this day. I'm not a RealRushFan.

Just today I was listening to Moving Pictures. It is an incredible album, and I was thinking how much I love Tom Sawyer and Limelight even though both may have been played to death.

Edited by Lorraine

Just today I was listening to Moving Pictures. It is an incredible album, and I was thinking how much I love Tom Sawyer and Limelight even though both may have been played to death.

Me and you must actually hate Rush based on this assessment!

I never tire of any of the bands classics. But then again, I don't think I have ever felt over-exposed to any of their work like some fans for years might have, such as thirty odd years of constant Tom Sawyer live.

But Tom Sawyer is a really great representative song for the Rush sound, more so than, say, Owner Of A Lonely Heart is for Yes.

• Like 1

I never tire of any of the bands classics. But then again, I don't think I have ever felt over-exposed to any of their work like some fans for years might have, such as thirty odd years of constant Tom Sawyer live.

But Tom Sawyer is a really great representative song for the Rush sound, more so than, say, Owner Of A Lonely Heart is for Yes.

90125 is genius.
  • Like 1

Lorraine, you don't get it. You see, real fans know that the band's apex was Caress of Steel. Moving Pictures is for posers. ;)

Guys, it's a joke.

• Like 1

90125 is genius.

Yes' best album by miles.

Lorraine, you don't get it. You see, real fans know that the band's apex was Caress of Steel. Moving Pictures is for posers. ;)

Guys, it's a joke.

:o Oh,so now I'm a poser too???

Of all the nerve......

• Like 1

Owner of a Lonely Heart, however, is an amazing song. Which is part of the reason people went nuts for 90125 when it came out.

Guys, it's a joke.

Of all the nerve......

Your point earlier about why we shouldn't open SOCN? Spot on.

Guys, it's a joke.

Of all the nerve......

Your point earlier about why we shouldn't open SOCN? Spot on.

I was serious about loving tom sawyer, but not the rest. I thought you would have known that. :ph34r: :hug2:

Edited by Lorraine

if you ask me the moment you've had mega popilarity with an album you've sold out like it or not

not that i have a problem with that, lol

Mick

Tom Waits totally sold out with Mule Variations. That and Rain Dogs are as popular as Dark Side of the Moon to Hipsters

Edited by Union 5-3992

if you ask me the moment you've had mega popilarity with an album you've sold out like it or not

not that i have a problem with that, lol

Mick

Tom Waits totally sold out with Mule Variations. That and Rain Dogs are as popular as Dark Side of the Moon to Hipsters

exactly.....lol

my point is tons have sold out, lol

cause that was the primary definition.

Mick

90125 is genius.

Its a good pop album.

90125 is genius.

Yes' best album by miles.

Youre killing me Smalls

• Like 1

Someone who thinks Tom Sawyer is not one of the bands best songs, or a "real fan favourite" but then starts talking about 90215 as the best Yes album is a total idiot.
  • Like 2