Does this make me a bad parent?

Tombstone Mountain

That's like trying to get your information from Wikipedia instead of an actual history book.

Wikipedia is much better than your typical grade school history book. Much more detail, and links to the rest of the story.

But better not to use it as a credible source. Many times teachers won't even accept anything that looks like it came from Wikipedia on any school work.

Ah, the art lies in teaching the children how to use the sources Wikipedia has generously provided for them at the bottom of the page.

• Like 2

That's like trying to get your information from Wikipedia instead of an actual history book.

Wikipedia is much better than your typical grade school history book. Much more detail, and links to the rest of the story.

But better not to use it as a credible source. Many times teachers won't even accept anything that looks like it came from Wikipedia on any school work.

Ah, the art lies in teaching the children how to use the sources Wikipedia has generously provided for them at the bottom of the page.

Those aren't always credible either. You take a chance with almost anything online.

Not for a research paper, but it's a better source than a history book. And teachers are dumb when it comes to the 'net.
  • Like 1

Good idea! Mine got interested in Greek mythology from us putting on (the original) Clash of the Titans repeatedly! My daughter is in her twenties and still wants a cute mechanical owl, however! :P
  • Like 2

Those aren't always credible either. You take a chance with almost anything online.

Just because it was printed on paper does not make it credible, either. Plenty of academic journals have now gone digital. For my college essays, all of my sources are authoritative, and almost none of them are books I could physically hold in my hand.

The thing about open source encyclopedias is that it all comes down to how you use them. A lot of Wikipedia is junk, including the sources, but there is skill in being able to pick the good stuff from the bad, and it's a good introductory tool to a topic: sometimes I read the Wikipedia article just so that I have the proper keywords with which to search for better information.

• Like 2

Just because it was printed on paper does not make it credible, either. Plenty of academic journals have now gone digital. For my college essays, all of my sources are authoritative, and almost none of them are books I could physically hold in my hand.

The thing about open source encyclopedias is that it all comes down to how you use them. A lot of Wikipedia is junk, including the sources, but there is skill in being able to pick the good stuff from the bad, and it's a good introductory tool to a topic: sometimes I read the Wikipedia article just so that I have the proper keywords with which to search for better information.

Wiki is a fantastic jumping off point.
  • Like 2

My niece took several theology classes while working on her sports management degree. Not having had any religious upbringing, she was struggling over the course work regarding the nature of Sin.

I used the philosophy of the Jedi as an analogy. All the little things we do which take us down the path to the Dark Side.......all the little lies, the cheats, the selfishness, all those "sins"......everytime we let our morals slide, we take another step down that dark path. There is no difference between the way we go turn to the Dark Side (in the movies) and the way we fall from grace and end up with Satan.

Her brain literally exploded right there. She GOT IT. Everything made sense to her then.

I am a GREAT uncle......:LOL: :lol:

• Like 3

Not considering documentaries (which are often great), THIS is the one program that everyone needs to watch:

http://www.20min.ch/diashow/24888/70196140-49bab9aa6425d5764c94f5cf61ec8822.JPG

Sure tell me I need to watch it but don't tell me what it's called :/ I dont watch TV so I'm clueless.. I do remember kojack though.. lol

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

Not considering documentaries (which are often great), THIS is the one program that everyone needs to watch:

http://www.20min.ch/diashow/24888/70196140-49bab9aa6425d5764c94f5cf61ec8822.JPG

Sure tell me I need to watch it but don't tell me what it's called :/ I dont watch TV so I'm clueless.. I do remember kojack though.. lol

http://www.bachecaannunci.it/adpics/cover240.jpg

http://seriestv.blog.lemonde.fr/files/2009/06/kung_fu-from_dark_angel.1244135315.thumbnail.png

Stay away from the 80s Kung Fu series. The original 1970s series is all you need.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 3

My niece took several theology classes while working on her sports management degree. Not having had any religious upbringing, she was struggling over the course work regarding the nature of Sin.

I used the philosophy of the Jedi as an analogy. All the little things we do which take us down the path to the Dark Side.......all the little lies, the cheats, the selfishness, all those "sins"......everytime we let our morals slide, we take another step down that dark path. There is no difference between the way we go turn to the Dark Side (in the movies) and the way we fall from grace and end up with Satan.

Her brain literally exploded right there. She GOT IT. Everything made sense to her then.

I am a GREAT uncle......:LOL: :lol:

Dude you're awesome. I remember when your neice first moved in. You're a good man brotha!
  • Like 1

Going on a tangent here, but for all of the parents struggling with the "but, why??" game with young children: Sometimes it's not an explanation for your explanation they want, but an elaboration because how it was originally explained was not satisfying enough.

I remember many times as a kid, and even today, where I ask to have something explained, get maybe one or two sentences of word salad, and then go "ok... but why...?" Why in this case still being directed towards my original inquiry.

I think that if half of what people say to my questions today is tautology, that proportion is much higher for curious kids.

• Like 1

What makes you a bad parent is you haven't played early Priest albums :haz: to your kids! A case of sad neglect! :givebeer:

Possibly the only legit post in this thread

Music is important, of course, but taste IS subjective ALSO, and just playing the music around the house when the kids are there DOES WORK! Both my children appreciate RUSH, and my daughter has become a BEATLES FREAK...my son also recognises their genius....they only needed EXPOSURE to form their own opinions about stuff...I know what the OP meant, but in my experience, you DO NOT sit them down and FORCE them to listen to YOUR FAVORITES. Just play your music a LOT and see if they 'come to like' it. FORCING breeds ABSOLUTE HATRED of the subject....I love JP also.... :wub:

• Like 1

What makes you a bad parent is you haven't played early Priest albums :haz: to your kids! A case of sad neglect! :givebeer:

Now I can say that I've listened and reviewed the first four JP albums, thanks to TD holding my feet to the fire. From the first four albums my favorite song is Dissident Aggressor. A fantastic song.
  • Like 1

I took my kid to see the first Jackass movie when he was 10, so Bill & Ted is not bad parenting. Jackass movie for a 10 year old....well, yeah, probably not the best idea I've had.
  • Like 3

I took my kid to see the first Jackass movie when he was 10, so Bill & Ted is not bad parenting. Jackass movie for a 10 year old....well, yeah, probably not the best idea I've had.

Wow...you suck. All that street cred you had with me is now amplified 10x

• Like 2

I taught my 11 year old about the birds and bees by having her watch 50 Shades of Gray.

I kid. :fury:

• Like 4

After I bought him his first hooker, he completely forgot about all of my other bad parenting decisions.
  • Like 3

After I bought him his first hooker, he completely forgot about all of my other bad parenting decisions.

The thing is, most of what we consider bad parenting decisions are things the kids would think of as cool ... until they had kids :D

• Like 4

You have to have him watch History of the World next.

I own that movie, just a bit too edgy. Surprisingly, Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure contained very little bad language and adult themes
  • Like 1

Tshirt idea I've had for years: Have it say 'I AM my kid's worst influence'.

Funny and philosophical at the same time.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 4