Rank the KING'S X discography for me please

Categories ordering is by release date, earliest to latest.

Masterpiece

Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

King's X

Please Come Home... Mr. Bulbous (My favorite album of all-time)

Great

Out of the Silent Planet

Faith Hope Love

Dogman

Tape Head

Ogre Tones

Good

Ear Candy

Manic Moonlight

Black Like Sunday

XV

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Masterpiece

King's X

Great

Out of the Silent Planet

Faith Hope Love

Dogman

Tape Head

Ogre Tones

Good

Ear Candy

Manic Moonlight

Black Like Sunday

XV

If you rate Mr Bulbous that highly then I gotta hear it!!!

Edited by Digital Dad

Masterpiece

King's X

Great

Out of the Silent Planet

Faith Hope Love

Dogman

Tape Head

Ogre Tones

Good

Ear Candy

Manic Moonlight

Black Like Sunday

XV

If you rate Mr Bulbous that highly then I gotta hear it!!!

What? My recommendation doesn't count? ha! But seriously, you could just as easily hate it. It is nothing in the realm of the first albums. Which for me is just fine...but quite different.

• Like 1

King's X date added for Charlotte, NC on June 10 (Friday) at Amos's Southend. Going...

<------ Jealous I'm glad to hear they're touring. Now if they'd just record a new album.

• Like 1

King's X date added for Charlotte, NC on June 10 (Friday) at Amos's Southend. Going...

Awesome. I've seen them 3 or 4 times (a long time ago!), and they always play in small, intimate venues. The guys always have made themselves available to hang with the fans.

I expect pics and/or a full report!

• Like 1

This may have been mentioned in pages past (forgive me), but any fans of The Jelly Jam here (Ty Tabor, Rod Morgenstein, and John Myung)...? I just picked up their first album and have their second on order as well. (New album out May 27)

Thoughts?

• Like 3

This may have been mentioned in pages past (forgive me), but any fans of The Jelly Jam here (Ty Tabor, Rod Morgenstein, and John Myung)...? I just picked up their first album and have their second on order as well. (New album out May 27)

Thoughts?

I never really got into the side projects, although I have Ty's solo albums, Jerry's two solo albums, and I have downloaded a few of Doug's songs here and there.

I mostly love King's X in general, as a band, as three guys who play music on this planet

and in my opinion Dogman is their only certifiable masterwork

every other album they've released without exception has two or three great songs on it (maybe four or five if I'm lucky)

apparently I'm not a fanboi and I'm completely ok with that - every time I've seen them live I've utterly enjoyed myself, and their best songs are so good I forgive the rest

no complaints

I mostly love King's X in general, as a band, as three guys who play music on this planet

and in my opinion Dogman is their only certifiable masterwork

every other album they've released without exception has two or three great songs on it (maybe four or five if I'm lucky)

apparently I'm not a fanboi and I'm completely ok with that - every time I've seen them live I've utterly enjoyed myself, and their best songs are so good I forgive the rest

no complaints

Funny that you pick the album that sounds the least representative of their overall sound...haha

• Like 1

Was searching for some King's X stuff and found this thread in my results. Thought I'd add my list and if it revives the discussion then good but if not then so be it.

NB:- I heard the 1st album when it first came out and was a fan straight away.

Here in the UK, the Kerrang mag rightly rated the album very highly and I had to check it out.

Suffice to say, I loved it and it's remained my favourite.

I guess it might have been different if I heard the albums in a different order.

Here goes:-

1. Out of the Silent Planet

2. Dogman

2= Tapehead

3 Gretchen goes to Nebraska

4. Black like Sunday - Finished vies for one of my favourites KX tunes!

4= Ogre Tones

4.= XV

5. Please come home Mr Bulbous

5=Ear Candy

6. Faith Hope Love

7. King's X

8. Manic Moonlight

To be honest, I don't dislike any album although I can't remember Manic Moonlight (apart from the song Believe which I like a lot) so I'm rating it low purely on that reason! I'll dig it out and maybe I'll revise my list afterwards.

I know Doug Pinnick has said that they changed the sound from Dogman onwards to ensure the bass was more to the front in the mix which is why it sounds a bit heavier and grungier than King's X that preceded it. But to me, it was the band getting back on track with some great stuff after the slightly disappointing eponymous album.

But I know Gretchen is a big fave of many and I love that too and I would probably give 5stars to my 1st 4 (ranked to number 3!)

The next until Faith.. would be 4 1/2 stars.

I found Faith a bit meandering bit still good.

But let's face it, they were such a consistent band that I think one could try any album and find something you like.

• Like 2

Pinnick with KXM revives a lot of that Dogman era King's X style, which made me an instant fan of their now 3 albums. KXM don't do the great harmonies like King's X did, but other than that I'd say they have a lot in common. Edited by stoopid