Rank the KING'S X discography for me please

Bought the first five CD pack for 20 bucks on Amazon.

Out of The Silent Planet is up first.

• Like 1

Bought the first five CD pack for 20 bucks on Amazon.

Out of The Silent Planet is up first.

I bought that for £6!

I wish I still had the original Atlantics. I probably paid about $10-14 each back when they came out.

I have FHL on vinyl! One of the most beautiful covers I have ever seen.

• Like 1

First, let me say what a joy it is to find a KX discussion here. :-)

Secondly, here is my ranking:

1. Ear Candy

Fave tracks: The Train, Sometime, A Box, Mississippi Moon, Run, Life Going By, American Cheese

2. Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

Fave tracks: Pleaides, Over My Head, The Burning Down, Mission, Summerland, The Difference

3. Faith Hope Love

Fave tracks: It's Love, We Are Finding Who We Are, Mr. Wilson, Moanjam, We Were Born to be Loved, Legal Kill

4. King's X

Fave tracks: The World Around Me, Prisoner, Lost in Germany, Black Flag, Ooh Song

5. Tape Head

Fave tracks: Groove Machine, Ono, Fade, Ocean, Higher than God

6. Out of the Silent Planet

Fave tracks: Shot of Love, Far Far Away, Goldilox, King, Visions

7. Dogman

Fave tracks: Dogman, Pretend, Complain, Flies and Blue Skies, Fool You

8. Please Come Home ... Mr. Bulbous

Fave tracks: She's Gone Away, Bitter Sweet, Move Me, Charlie Sheen

9. Ogre Tones

Fave tracks: Alone, Fly, Freedom, Stay

10. XV

Fave tracks: Love and Rockets, Alright, Repeating Myself, Move

11. Manic Moonlight

Fave tracks: The Other Side, Jenna, False Alarm

12. Black like Sunday

Fave tracks: Two

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 2

Last night I gave Faith Hope Love a spin and I found it a better listen than Gretchen Goes to Nebraska. King's X are definitely accomplished musicians despite not being groundbreaking or wholly original. I heard it all before. I will point how how "grungy" the record sounds, particularly Alice in Chains. Why did King's X miss the grunge bandwagon? Anyway, I found the album too long and some of the songs simply annoyed me after a while. Again, it's not bad. It just comes across a bit too generic. I rate it a 6.5/10.

Faith Hope Love is great. very Beatle like.

Mick

I'll give it another spin.

Yeah, I definitely hear a Abbey Road harmony thing going on.

1. Ear Candy

Fave tracks: The Train, Sometime, A Box, Mississippi Moon, Run, Life Going By, American Cheese

Fave tracks: Pleaides, Over My Head, The Burning Down, Mission, Summerland, The Difference

3. Faith Hope Love

Fave tracks: It's Love, We Are Finding Who We Are, Mr. Wilson, Moanjam, We Were Born to be Loved, Legal Kill

4. King's X

Fave tracks: The World Around Me, Prisoner, Lost in Germany, Black Flag, Ooh Song

5. Tape Head

7. Dogman

9. Ogre Tones

10. XV

11. Manic Moonlight

12. Black like Sunday

Welcome to the forum, Wil. We're close in what we favor in the KX catalog. It's cool to see how much others like Ear Candy. I thought it would get more lost in the middle of the pack after the more celebrated albums.

Looking back, I think Tape Head gets a little underrated by some fans (and myself)..."Fade" is one of my favorite songs. Groove Machine, Ocean, Cupid, Higher than God...great tracks.

Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 1

1. Ear Candy

3. Faith Hope Love

4. King's X

5. Tape Head

7. Dogman

9. Ogre Tones

10. XV

11. Manic Moonlight

12. Black like Sunday

Welcome to the forum, Wil. We're close in what we favor in the KX catalog. It's cool to see how much others like Ear Candy. I thought it would get more lost in the middle of the pack after the more celebrated albums.

Looking back, I think Tape Head gets a little underrated..."Fade" is one of my favorite songs. Groove Machine, Ocean, Cupid, Higher than God...great tracks.

Thanks! I don't know why Ear Candy resonated with me the way it has. Maybe it's the utter honesty and personal openness in the lyrics. Not that they didn't already write great lyrics. But that album worked for me. I think TH is underrated too.

• Like 1

1. Ear Candy

3. Faith Hope Love

4. King's X

5. Tape Head

7. Dogman

9. Ogre Tones

10. XV

11. Manic Moonlight

12. Black like Sunday

Looking back, I think Tape Head gets a little underrated..."Fade" is one of my favorite songs. Groove Machine, Ocean, Cupid, Higher than God...great tracks.

Thanks! I don't know why Ear Candy resonated with me the way it has. Maybe it's the utter honesty and personal openness in the lyrics. Not that they didn't already write great lyrics. But that album worked for me. I think TH is underrated too.

I agree. I also think it's a perfectly named album...the songs are truly like "Ear Candy". It was a refreshing turn after the harsher Dogman.

• Like 1

Dogman was a tough nut to crack - that rough edged production after 4 slick albums ... I really like that album now but it took a little time.

My problem isn't the sound, I like nineties alt rock more than many here it seems, but I disliked the songs. Maybe it's a grower though..

• Like 2

Dogman was a tough nut to crack - that rough edged production after 4 slick albums ... I really like that album now but it took a little time.

My problem isn't the sound, I like nineties alt rock more than many here it seems, but I disliked the songs. Maybe it's a grower though..

I was into bands of that time period and sound like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden (still am), but for whatever reason I wasn't into Dogman that much. Its grown on me some over the years, but it feels a bit too stuck in the early 90's.

• Like 1

Yea I liked the 90s bands as well, but it was a bit of an aural shock after what came before. Wasn't expecting that sound. Actually I had secretly hoped they would get heavier, but it was so raw, that it was a little too far in that direction. I think Ear Candy and Tape Head struck a better balance. Loose and heavy, but not too raw.

• Like 1

I'm listening to a lot of Ogre Tones today. It's hit and miss, and I still have no idea why they did another recording of "Goldilox" and "Freedom"...but for old school King's X vocals, harmony, feel, etc...I highly recommend "Mudd". Sad and beautiful song...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IygNjbdCNTw

I prefer Ogre Tones to most of the bands post self-titled records.

Underrated, it sounds like a direct follow up to the first three or four albums.

• Like 3

Here is my updated ranking of the albums I have heard:

1. Faith Hope Love

2. Out Of The Silent Planet

3. Gretchen Goes To Nebraska

4. Ogre Tones (would be higher if I could remove the preachy lyrics of Get Away)

5. Tapehead

6. Ear Candy

7. King's X

8. Dogman

Edited by Segue Myles

I'm listening to a lot of Ogre Tones today. It's hit and miss, and I still have no idea why they did another recording of "Goldilox" and "Freedom"...but for old school King's X vocals, harmony, feel, etc...I highly recommend "Mudd". Sad and beautiful song...

https://www.youtube....h?v=IygNjbdCNTw

Concerning "Freedom", I heard that Doug was a huge fan of that song and always felt it deserved more than B-side status. So he talked Ty into remaking it and putting it on a proper album.

With "Goldilox", Doug said that Michael Wagener liked the song and wanted to produce his own version of it. So they did it for him.

Edited by Wil1972
  • Like 1

1. Faith Hope Love

4. Ogre Tones (would be higher if I could remove the preachy lyrics of Get Away)

5. Tapehead

6. Ear Candy

7. King's X

8. Dogman

Yeah, I'm with you on Get Away. Some songs I really love on Ogre Tones but some feel like filler.

1. Faith Hope Love

5. Tapehead

6. Ear Candy

7. King's X

8. Dogman

Yeah, I'm with you on Get Away. Some songs I really love on Ogre Tones but some feel like filler.

I am new to it, so I might not like it so much after a while, but I love most of this record! Bebop is my jam!