Presto!

JohnRogers

Presto's tinpan production makes the album hard to listen to. I really only like the title track and The Pass, both of which sound much better live.

I agree, you have put your finger on what I don't like about the studio album. Presto live is actually very pretty and The Pass live is much warmer.

• Like 1

I don't think The Garden is great. I think it's just a nice song, but it isn't as profound as everyone seems to think it is.

And Available Light is, as a song, more beautifully produced, better written, melodically memorable and the vocals are some of Geddy's greatest on record to date. Musically, it sounds quite unique for a Rush song. The Garden sounds tired and aimless.

I don't think The Garden is great. I think it's just a nice song, but it isn't as profound as everyone seems to think it is.

And Available Light is, as a song, more beautifully produced, better written, melodically memorable and the vocals are some of Geddy's greatest on record to date. Musically, it sounds quite unique for a Rush song. The Garden sounds tired and aimless.

I agree about The Garden sounding tired. Very predictable musically. Nothing very unique about it at all.

• Like 1

Tomorrow a face off battleface, in one corner Available Light in another box The Garden. I will decide the victor and all debate will cease. So say we all.
  • Like 2

The Garden will win as most of this forum consists of lemmings.

I don't mind. Keep running.

I am a cashew, so I make my own decisions based on whatever sandwich filling I am eating at present.

Feedback wins.

• Like 2

If it were up to the chuckleheads at TRF I'd never listen to 7800 Fahrenheit again.

Damn fine album!

Tomorrow a face off battleface, in one corner Available Light in another box The Garden. I will decide the victor and all debate will cease. So say we all.

Just make a poll with just those two songs. I don't see the big deal.

The only issue I have with polls is what is the point?

They lead some to pat each other in the back whilst the rest proudly don't care one iota if the least popular is their favourite.

Whose mind is going to be changed by a poll?

Just make a poll with just those two songs. I don't see the big deal.

The only issue I have with polls is what is the point?

They lead some to pat each other in the back whilst the rest proudly don't care one iota if the least popular is their favourite.

Whose mind is going to be changed by a poll?

I mean, hopefully it'll lead to a bit of topic-centric discussion with people explaining why they picked their song instead of just announcing they picked it.

That's the idea, at least.

• Like 1

OK, Zayn. Or is it Miley?

Neither.

Rihanna.

Why should I, or anyone, have to give a reason why I like or don't like a song? I don't owe anyone an explanation. I like what i like. Don't like what I don't like. The end. :)

Moody Blues! No need to justify that. They do it themselves!

• Like 1

Why should I (or anyone) have to give a reason why I like or don't like a song? I don't owe anyone an explanation. I like what I like. Don't like what I don't like. The end. :)

That's a given, but I don't think any forum would exist if nobody ever gave any arguments for anything, ever. Discussion makes things fun. It lets people know other people better, and take a glimpse into the parts of their minds that they allow to show. So while explanations should never be necessary, I think they should be encouraged.

If I cared only about my own opinions, I wouldn't be curious to know about what other people think, and I wouldn't ask questions. It's never been about objectively finding the "best" explanation. It's about exploration.

Kind of what I like about this forum when compared to the Rush community on a site like Reddit. It's not an echo chamber. People are willing to talk, and they don't care enough about fake internet points to censor their real opinions for an amalgamation of the mildest, most popular ones combined with a faux-intellectual tone to sound like it's the only right way to think.

I kind of went on a tangent, but it's been on my mind.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1

Why should I (or anyone) have to give a reason why I like or don't like a song? I don't owe anyone an explanation. I like what I like. Don't like what I don't like. The end. :)

That's a given, but I don't think any forum would exist if nobody ever gave any arguments for anything, ever. Discussion makes things fun. It lets people know other people better, and take a glimpse into the parts of their minds that they allow to show. So while explanations should never be necessary, I think they should be encouraged.

If I cared only about my own opinions, I wouldn't be curious to know about what other people think, and I wouldn't ask questions. It's never been about objectively finding the "best" explanation. It's about exploration.

Kind of what I like about this forum when compared to the Rush community on a site like Reddit. It's not an echo chamber. People are willing to talk, and they don't care enough about fake internet points to censor their real opinions for an amalgamation of the mildest, most popular ones combined with a faux-intellectual tone to sound like it's the only right way to think.

I kind of went on a tangent, but it's been on my mind.

After you've been here longer, you might change your mind.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Neither.

Rihanna.

And Mick is Chris Brown?

I like Presto, there are a lot of great songs on this record. That being said, I think Superconductor is a horrible addition to this record. It is my least favorite Rush song and I would neither brush, floss or engage in any other bathroom activity more befitting this blemish on an otherwise fine record...
  • Like 1

Available Light is one of the bands greatest songs.

I think it's easily the best album closer of the last 31 years.

The Garden >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Available Light

:no: And here's why...

Poetic Neil >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pedantic Neil.

• Like 1

Did you forget what year it was?

• Like 1

:no: And I expect a Snakes and Arrows limited edition to be released soon.

:no: And I expect a Snakes and Arrows limited edition to be released soon.

I thought it had been already, and it just hadn't made it out here to the Middle West.

To me, Presto is a good "winter album". I don't know how many besides me associate albums with seasons (maybe it's the release date, I don't know), but it's rather gloomy. That's not saying I don't like it...AFTK, Power Windows, and A Farewell to Kings kinda fit that category, as well. Signals, Moving Pictures, P/G...summertime all the way, baby! Wait...what were we talking about?
  • Like 1