Is Rock In Its Final Decade?

Lorraine

As a teen of the seventies it was a great decade for rock but being a hippie at heart I always wished I could have been around ten years earlier. Either way I would have still had to endure the disco era tho :facepalm:

I was born in '54 and lived through it all. I looked in horror at the sell-outs to disco. Still think it was the cheesiest of cheesy eras. Thankfully, the eighties got us out of and away from that travesty.

Have you gone all over grey yet?

To be fair and apologize i guess i got thrown off. Yes the rock STAR is probably dead.

The topic DID say is ROCK in it's final Decade.

i apologize though.

Mick

Here's a point, you're Mick so then you must know KEEF?

Yea mate......he's actually dead. somebody's just working him like a ventriloquist dummy now. very cool trick.

he died in 99

Mick

• Like 2

As a teen of the seventies it was a great decade for rock but being a hippie at heart I always wished I could have been around ten years earlier. Either way I would have still had to endure the disco era tho :facepalm:

I was born in '54 and lived through it all. I looked in horror at the sell-outs to disco. Still think it was the cheesiest of cheesy eras. Thankfully, the eighties got us out of and away from that travesty.

Have you gone all over grey yet?

No, not all over.

New artists are entirely disposable by the ADHD public and the industry at large. I don't see where many sub top40 musicians will commit to a music career after they realize they're living the life of the starving artist. Then they'll get into acting or build their horseshit 'brand'. On top of that, everything seems highly derivative, so I don't find much that's interesting enough to hold my interest. It's all been done before, no surprises left.
  • Like 1

KEEF Richards will live forever!

It's all that heroin he did. ;)

KEEF is the living zombie!

Depressing seeing the worthwhile artists dying off while LeatherFaced Richards stumbles on. That my friends is an example of life not being fair.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

While I don't believe the same level of greatness that was achieved during the classic rock era (1966 - 1996, thereabouts) will ever be seen again, there are some good bands up and coming, you just have to look harder to find them. There may not be a Led Zeppelin or a Beatles, or a Rush out there, but there are some interesting bands. Royal Blood and Band of Skulls come to mind. I enjoy both of those groups.
  • Like 2

There aren't the iconic musicians replacing the ones that are dying off. Today's music seems to be more about cranking out a hit and vapidity than actual experimenting and individualism.
  • Like 7

There aren't the iconic musicians replacing the ones that are dying off. Today's music seems to be more about cranking out a hit and vapidity than actual experimenting and individualism.

Exactly.

So many underground bands of great worth, but you will never see them reach iconic status as this world is too much focused on what is cool...and not what is innovative.

• Like 3

Kanye West: I’m “No. 1 Rock Star on the Planet”

There ya go...

Kill it with fire

• Like 4

The next few decades are not going to be pleasant for me in terms of losing favorite musicians.

R&R Music will keep evolving but will it have the same impact as when the guitar was first plugged in?

Will there be bands that will create the same joy that the Beatles or ______________ (insert your fav band here) had done before?

I don't know, but I hope that there will be.

• Like 2

Rock and roll will never die. The problem is that WE are getting older and watching this wave of OUR greats pass away. But in 50 years someone who isn't even born yet will say the same thing about their greats....even if we wouldn't consider them that.

I agree. I think each generation mourns the passing of "their" music into something new and different.

• Like 1

Rock and roll will never die. The problem is that WE are getting older and watching this wave of OUR greats pass away. But in 50 years someone who isn't even born yet will say the same thing about their greats....even if we wouldn't consider them that.

I agree. I think each generation mourns the passing of "their" music into something new and different.

This is true. We delusionally and biasedly think ours is the only music of substance and to US that may be so...but our generation wasn't the first and it won't be the last, much as we like to think so. :D

• Like 2

I was thinking.......now nobody get offended...........I never bought into your own Decade was the best thing........maybe because i never really liked what was mainstream in the 90's. there was great music in the 90's sure.......but my decade ain't my fav.

hell Crap abounds in EVERY Decade somewhere, lol Nostolga will blind you. and kill you, lol

Mick

I agree completely. I grew up with the music of the 60s and 70s, and with a few exceptions I really don't like that music. I do (did), however, like a lot of the stuff that came out of the 90s, but the stuff I was listening to during the 90s was not the stuff anyone heard on the radio. It's stuff that probably no one here listened to at all.

One must remember that "good" is in the eye of the beholder. We like what we like, and that is that.

Edited by x1yyz
  • Like 2