R2

MMCXII

It makes me smile when Geddy Lee declares that his voice is a lot better now. The vocals on that video are fantastic, every word enunciated and clear, powerful and passionate. Of course Lifeson and Peart are nailing it too and they really were a power trio without equal.

I quite like some early Montrose,( Foghat not at all)but they must have wondered what they'd got themselves into going on after that force of nature.

• Like 2

It was must have been a weird (transition) time for Rush... if this show was as mentioned above (opening for two other bands in a small theater), this show was played 6 months AFTER they sold out three nights in Massey Hall, Toronto, (and recorded a live album) with about 3,000 each night. Weird, going from that, to kickin' out of the 3 hole with a 30 minute set... But, after this tour, I don't think they ever opened up for anyone again. I think they did a double-bill with Foghat on a small section of the AFTK Tour, but not sure... Anyone know??? Edited by Thunder Bay Rush
  • Like 1

Sun

Aug 26

Cotton Bowl in Dallas, TX, USA

Rush Point Blank Foghat Pat Travers Band Billy Thorpe Little River Band Joan Jett and the Blackhe...

Sun

Aug 19

Comiskey Park in Chicago, IL, USA

Rush The Tubes Foghat Roadmaster

Sat

Dec 11

The Palladium in New York, NY, USA

Rush Foghat Mother’s Finest

Fri

Dec 10

Capitol Theatre in Passaic, NJ, USA

Rush Montrose Foghat

Thu

Dec 9

Springfield Civic Center in Springfield, MA, USA

Rush James Gang

There was nobody like Rush - the chops, the great songs, the out of left field lyrics, Geddy's voice - and the sincerity .. They were just being themselves, it was amazing .. Alex was so inspired and fiery, and Neil was more reckless and loose .. The intro to Anthem is some of my favorite drumming from Neil ..

Does anyone know if they were opening for another band that night ?? - I mean, it seems logical considering what Geddy says at the beginning of 2112

Foghat and Montrose. Can you imagine?

Wow. Foghat was my first concert (saw 'em in '78...Judas Priest opened)...and saw Rush early the next year. I would loved to have seen them on the same bill.

I got to see Foghat in 1978 with Sweet opening (Love is Like Oxygen was the "hit" of the day hahaha!) And I saw Montrose open for Foreigner...these three bands would have been a pretty wild show!

They DID do some crazy pairings way back then... I was Motorhead open for Ozzy in 81, Saw Scorpions and Riot open for Rainbow, Maiden and Priest, Gary Moore (with Ian Paice on drums) and Krokus open for Def Leppard in 1983.

It seems like the jam bands are the only ones REALLY sharing the stage anymore...

• Like 2

It seems like the jam bands are the only ones REALLY sharing the stage anymore...

I think that's true too- and it seems like it's treated with more of the ethos that jazz musicians have- so-and-so from this band comes onstage to play a few songs with that band, et cetera...a real cross-pollination of sound, and a collective pool of ideas. I love that kind of thing.

• Like 2

I think that's true too- and it seems like it's treated with more of the ethos that jazz musicians have- so-and-so from this band comes onstage to play a few songs with that band, et cetera...a real cross-pollination of sound, and a collective pool of ideas. I love that kind of thing.

:yes:
  • Like 1

Yeah....Dave Matthews is known for pulling guys from the opening band on stage with him.... I saw Bob Weir come on stage with the Allman Brothers a few years back, too...All good stuff!!!

That's a fantastic vid, only had time to listen to a few minutes of it but the sound is great, even on my crappy laptop. Looking forward to watching the whole thing.

You just can't beat the energy coming off the band - awesome, cheers

• Like 3

That's a fantastic vid, only had time to listen to a few minutes of it but the sound is great, even on my crappy laptop. Looking forward to watching the whole thing.

Welcome to the forum Mitten !

Welcome to the forum Mitten !

thanks Lucas. Long time Rushaholic from the UK. Don't post much on the interweb but like to keep up with all things Rush-related :)
  • Like 2

Sun

Aug 26

Rush Point Blank Foghat Pat Travers Band Billy Thorpe Little River Band Joan Jett and the Blackhe...

Sun

Aug 19

Sat

Dec 11

Fri

Dec 10

Rush Montrose Foghat

Thu

Dec 9

Rush James Gang

What's the significance of those dates?

Sun

Aug 26

Sun

Aug 19

Sat

Dec 11

Fri

Dec 10

Rush Montrose Foghat

Thu

Dec 9

Rush James Gang

I think it's a response to "But, after this tour, I don't think they ever opened up for anyone again."

• Like 1

Sun

Aug 26

Sun

Aug 19

Sat

Dec 11

Fri

Dec 10

Rush Montrose Foghat

Thu

Dec 9

Rush James Gang

I think it's a response to "But, after this tour, I don't think they ever opened up for anyone again."