Talented Punk Bands

Mr. Not

From what I've heard (from people as well as from bands themselves), punk rock isn't exactly a reputable genre. A lot of the time it's either very simplistic or very messy. And from what I've heard myself, I couldn't agree more... However, I also can tell that there is a good amount of talent to be found in the genre, as is the same for any.

Personally, I've found Billy Talent to be a group which I find very talented on a technical level, and I like their melodies as well.

The guitarist Ian D'sa has a very unique guitar style. To summarize it: he often strives to play both the rhythm guitar and lead guitar simultaneously... And he does a damn good job at it. The most tangible example of it is in the song "Try Honesty" during the verses.

http://youtu.be/XEhv4L3RSIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJDjLin2W5E

(also, while I've never gotten too much into "The Clash", they're the one classic Punk Rock band I find to enjoy a song by from time to time)

Edited by Mr. Not

To say punk is not a reputable genera is a bit ridiculous. However, it's a tradition for punk bands to downplay chops and noodling and focus on raw energy.

Yeah. There are garage bands assembled with guys that can't quite play, but the bands that "break" are generally loaded with talent. Bands like "X", Black Flag, Dead Kennedys are raw by choice, not out of desperation.
  • Like 3

fugazi, hell yeah. descendents album ALL has prog parts... black flag's mid-80s stuff was heavily influenced by sabbath, mahavishnu, and king crimson. meat puppets and husker du dont really have any flashy elements but they're clearly good players, and husker du have a concept album with a 13-minute song on it
  • Like 1

What's puck rock? Post-punk? Proto-punk? Art-punk? Hardcore-punk? Punk rock is as diverse as any popular music genre that falls under the banner of rock and roll music.

So many great bands* - Pere Ubu, Wire, Television, Talking Heads, Blondie, Ramones, Minor Threat, TSOL, Misfits...

*(I tried not to repeat bands already mentioned)

• Like 2

My introduction to punk was Iggy. This concert was broadcasted on TV which include ( If I remember correctly ), Traffic, Alice Cooper and Grand Funk.

My intro to punk was the Sex Pistols in 1977 or 78, although I didn't realize the significance of it then. That was the same time I started listening to the Ramones:

http://youtu.be/ZLlLtSG7xe4

It was years later before I found out about the Buzzcocks. I have an affinity for the old English & LA punk bands.

• Like 1