When would you say Geddy stopped singing high live?

Eel Yddeg

I think GUP tour was when his high range noticably started to slip. I have a soundboard bootleg from that tour with his voice cracking badly on several songs like Spirit and Body Electric ("bows it's head to pray to the mother of all machines.....")
  • Like 1

I think GUP tour was when his high range noticably started to slip. I have a soundboard bootleg from that tour with his voice cracking badly on several songs like Spirit and Body Electric ("bows it's head to pray to the mother of all machines.....")

. If thats the one from Maryland I think he had a cold! You can tell when he talked to the audience

. If thats the one from Maryland I think he had a cold! You can tell when he talked to the audience

Yeah I agree.

In this clip from 1980 - the Permanent Waves tour - you can clearly hear that he still has the range ..

Classic footage but dreadful sound, is Neil playing the bongos?

I much preferred Geddy's throatier vocals of a few years earlier. Was it the continual touring that made him forsake singing like that?

The Hemispheres Tour is actually where it started to slip, honestly. That was were he really started to struggle on songs like Cygnus X-1, 2112, and Something For Nothing.

By the GUP Tour, his really high range was gone, 2112 was sung all in a lower octave, Finding My Way and In The Mood too, and he even struggled to hit highs on songs like Spirit of Radio and Tom Sawyer.

I think he lost his throaty voice because of overtouring, they played over 600 gigs between the 1974-1979 period. I also read once that he was a smoker in that time.

Edited by Eel Yddeg

It's a relative topic. I think your question should be more specific. By saying "high", are we talking about the actual musical notes that come out of Geddy's throat?

Also, do you consider the lines "Each of us, A cell of awareness" (highest note is F5) from Freewill, and "Closer to the heaaaaaart" from Closer To The Heart (the note on "heart" is D5) - as "high"?

If so, then I've got a nice fact to share with you here:

Geddy performed both of these notes (F5 and D5) on recent tours. You can hear the F5 on Freewill, last performed on TM, and the D5 on R40 (!!) on Lakeside Park ("Midway hawkers calling..").

If we're talking about notes here, then the answer would be R40. Essentially, he didn't stop singing high until the end of R40. He did lose a great ability to belt out and sing higher notes that he used to scream like a witch when he was young, but he still have managed to sing in the "high" zone until the very end of R40 without using falsetto (!!). The notes Geddy sang in 2015 are notes that most male singers today would struggle to sing, and his singing among the male rock singers is still considered to be very high, even today, after he lost lots of power he had in his youth.

Yeah, he still definitely sings high. This topic was worded kinda poorly. I meant when he stopped singing in his '70s range.

Very fitting, then, that you pinpointed it to be in 1979! :P (As that's when most of the Hemispheres tour dates were).

After that, it was not the '70s anymore, so...yeah.

;)

I think he never stopped signing high live, which is half of the problem as it didn't sound very good in the end.

But I think the last tour that he really still sounded great was probably T4E.

IMO!

Listening to more bootlegs, he started to lose that high wail around 1978, during the Hemispheres Tour, and it completely vanished around Signals.

Well 178 shows singing Cygnus and Hemispheres back to back will do that to you I think.

It's a relative topic. I think your question should be more specific. By saying "high", are we talking about the actual musical notes that come out of Geddy's throat?

Also, do you consider the lines "Each of us, A cell of awareness" (highest note is F5) from Freewill, and "Closer to the heaaaaaart" from Closer To The Heart (the note on "heart" is D5) - as "high"?

Geddy performed both of these notes (F5 and D5) on recent tours. You can hear the F5 on Freewill, last performed on TM, and the D5 on R40 (!!) on Lakeside Park ("Midway hawkers calling..").

If we're talking about notes here, then the answer would be R40. Essentially, he didn't stop singing high until the end of R40. He did lose a great ability to belt out and sing higher notes that he used to scream like a witch when he was young, but he still have managed to sing in the "high" zone until the very end of R40 without using falsetto (!!). The notes Geddy sang in 2015 are notes that most male singers today would struggle to sing, and his singing among the male rock singers is still considered to be very high, even today, after he lost lots of power he had in his youth.

Actually, the F5 in Freewill on the Time Machine live album was edited. Geddy kind of botched it in actuality, if you watch on YouTube.

I think the vocals were dropped because he was straining his voice, and was trying to make sure he could still sing all the way through the tour. I don't think it was any more complicated than that.

agreed at 100%....as long as he keeps on digging da bass I really do not have any problem.... :geddy:
  • Like 1

Actually, the F5 in Freewill on the Time Machine live album was edited. Geddy kind of botched it in actuality, if you watch on YouTube.

So because he "botched" on the official live version, it means he didn't hit the note at all on the tour? My ears which were at three shows and have listened to plenty of Youtube versions would disagree.

I believe he was suffering badly from 'flu that night. If it wasn't for the fact they were filming the show may have been cancelled.

I was actually talking about the whole tour, not the Cleveland show only. You are correct though, he didn't hit that note properly in the Cleveland show and it was only a semi-tone lower. As a matter of fact, the whole sentence was off-key. My guess is, he didn't have enough air to sing that part properly because it really sounds like that. However, he did an awesome job on the rest of the tour, and his efforts on the 2nd leg (which was tough enough for him) were speechless. His performance of that same part in Toledo, which took place right before the Cleveland show, is amazing and he just nailed that F5 there.