What's wrong with Test For Echo exactly?

AnEggplant

Counterparts too for that matter. It seems like the majority rank them as the worst Rush albums. I don't know how anyone could rank these as among the worse, especially below Roll The Bones. Personally I like or love every song between these two albums except for The Speed of Love.

While I'm at it, why do Dog Years and Virtuality get such a bad rap? The lyrics are a bit goofy in the former and dated in the latter but musically they're fine, they definitely don't stand out as bad musically to me.

This should be an interesting question for science. ;)

• Like 1

Test For Echo is just completely forgettable. I won't call it a 'bad' album, but simply because it has not made an impression on me yet, in the 19 years since it was released...that makes it their worst album, in my book.

I can't even remember how many songs are on it.

I feel kind of bad saying these things, but...that's the way it is.

• Like 2

Test For Echo is a great album.

I wouldnt say great album, but it does have some great songs.

Test for Echo, Totem, Driven, Half the World

I wouldn't say great songs, but good...

Counterparts too for that matter. It seems like the majority rank them as the worst Rush albums. I don't byknow how anyone could rank these as among the worse, especially below Roll The Bones. Personally I like or love every song between these two albums except for The Speed of Love.

While I'm at it, why do Dog Years and Virtuality get such a bad rap? The lyrics are a bit goofy in the former and dated in the latter but musically they're fine, they definitely don't stand out as bad musically to me.

This should be an interesting question for science. ;)

If you enjoy all their albums, you will enjoy some less than most. They've made 19 original studio albums, therefore, they all can't fit in anyone's top 10. They can't all be considered upper echelon by everyone on any given day. How's that for scientific. :)

As for Dog Years, I knew I liked that song the first time I heard it. I have since sort of equated it to Led Zeppelin's Hot Dog- a bit of a comedy song. Not for everyone. (That would make a good Before and After Jeopardy quiz question - Hot Dog Years. Ha.)

Virtuality, on the other hand, I feel is hog-tied by the dated lyrics. No one loves singing along to "net boy, net girl", lol. A rare swing and a miss for Neil. Time has been cruel to it, and no amount of guitar riffing muscle helps IMO.

Btw, I didn't really enjoy Speed Of Love until a few years ago. I like it now. Some songs take a few years, or decades, to appreciate. :D

• Like 1

It was the beginning of the mudification of arrangements and thus the beginning of sonic Jackson Pollock.

Sonic Jackson Pollock....I'm stealing that.

:LOL:

It'd also be a pretty cool band name.

• Like 3

So many mismatched tempo changes that hinder momentum of songs...starts with the title track and continues throughout. Take the title track...slow build intro, the bridge between the intro and the first verse starts rocking hard, then the verse starts and...slower, then the tempo picks up again, then things really get going during the chorus, then, back to slow.

The chorus in Driven worked so much better live.

Time & Motion has a lot of interesting time signatures and all, but it's a bit of an odd mess at times.

I've always referred to this album as "Test For Tempo"

• Like 2

Half of T4E is really pretty good actually.

Counterparts however is dire...utter dogshit.

Really?

Animate is amazing, Between the Sun and Moon is awesome, Double Agent is super cool, Cut to the Chase rules, and so forth. There's a lot to love on that album.

• Like 2

So many mismatched tempo changes that hinder momentum of songs...starts with the title track and continues throughout. Take the title track...slow build intro, the bridge between the intro and the first verse starts rocking hard, then the verse starts and...slower, then the tempo picks up again, then things really get going during the chorus, then, back to slow.

The chorus in Driven worked so much better live.

Time & Motion has a lot of interesting time signatures and all, but it's a bit of an odd mess at times.

I've always referred to this album as "Test For Tempo"

Hemispheres has a lot of tempo changes, so does La Villa, I don't see how it's a negative.

Net Boy ...Net Girl

Nuff said.....................

But seriously. The Song 'Test for Echo', would have been the Best track on VT, SA or CA.............Truth hurts

• Like 2

Net Boy ...Net Girl

But seriously. The Song 'Test for Echo', would have been the Best track on VT, SA or CA.............Truth hurts

I disagree, that isn't the truth. However, I don't get why people are so upset about 'net boy net girl'. I'm genuinely confused by why people hate it so much.

I don't get it either. I love both of the albums. Of course there are a couple of clunkers on both but there are on almost all post '85 Rush albums.
  • Like 2

Net Boy ...Net Girl

I disagree, that isn't the truth. However, I don't get why people are so upset about 'net boy net girl'. I'm genuinely confused by why people hate it so much.

Really? Its lame thats why...
  • Like 2

Net Boy ...Net Girl

It's 4th on the Lame Factor, behind VT, SA and CA

• Like 1

Net Boy ...Net Girl

I would given the 4 examples I would place it 3rd on the lame factor. CA has some good material I just wish they would have an old fashioned "do over" on it and make it sound pleasant to the ears. A few songs will still suck but the rest would be good in my view...

Net Boy ...Net Girl

I would given the 4 examples I would place it 3rd on the lame factor. CA has some good material I just wish they would have an old fashioned "do over" on it and make it sound pleasant to the ears. A few songs will still suck but the rest would be good in my view...

Just curious because I know you've only fairly recently come to listen to albums such as T4E, which songs do you like from it?