What Is Your Favourite Album By The Beatles?

The Cat 3

What Is Your Favourite Album By The Beatles?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. What Is Your Favourite Album By The Beatles?

• Please Please Me
    • With the Beatles
    • A Hard Days Night
    • Beatles For Sale
    • Help!
    • Rubber Soul
    • Revolver
    • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
    • Magical Mystery Tour
    • The Beatles (The White Album)
    • Yellow Submarine
    • Abbey Road
    • Let It Be

I think one of the reasons Abbey Road is getting the most votes is because, from what I have read elsewhere and the reputation it seems to have, it is the one Beatles album that seems to reach out to the more casual fan of the band.

A great album, with a harder, more determinedly focused feel than a lot of their other releases on the first side, and that experimental, chaotic vibe on the absolutely breathtaking second side. It doesn't surprise me it has the highest number of votes here. I would be interested in what the final outcome would be on a poll for hardcore fans only.

Inam also amazed that, having been scoffed at weeks back for my lesser view of Sgt. Pepper, it has the second fewest votes of any of the chosen albums.

Then again, this is a poll taken during a rather quiet time for the forum, but still, what an interesting outcome!

And Rubber Soul getting as many votes it has is a nice surprise. Of course no none can call a Beatles album underrated, but in terms of Beatles releases only, it does seem to be overlooked for most of what came after. Nice it isn't so here!

• Like 1

I don't like thinking about this so I have an automatic go to album - The Beatles.

Aw C'mon...I've been waiting for your story.

Speaking of "The Beatles"...have you heard the mono remaster from 2009?

I listened to it today and heard things I'd never heard before.

Wow, just wow.

OK. When I was a wee lad, at bedtime, I would put an album on the turntable and listen to music as I fell to sleep. My favorite album to do this with was The White Album. I couldn't listen to side 1 and side 2 continuously, so it was always side 1 and side 3. In a way, side 1 and side 3 is my edited version of the album. Anyway, I find The White Album a fascinating musical journey. It's all over the place. It pretty much covers every popular genre that was relevant at the time. I know some people don't like the "throwaway odds and ends" feel of the album and that it should have been edited down and I understand that opinion. But for me, it was all about the journey, peaks and valleys, warts and all. Walking down the middle of the road and every once in a while taking a stroll in the gutter. It's a dark album. It's a light album. It's inventive and mainstream. When I was discovering the Beatles and their diversity and each member's personality and how they contributed to the band The White Album made the biggest impression. The irony is this is when they started to fracture.

Second is the now cliched choice of Revolver. In a way, it's a mini-White Album. Majestic pop songs and throwaway ditties. Songs, for whatever reason, I can't get out of my head.

Interesting. I just saw this thread and voted for Revolver and then read through it, while thinking about what I was going to say, which was that I know it's become cliche but my choice is Revolver...

• Like 1

I think one of the reasons Abbey Road is getting the most votes is because, from what I have read elsewhere and the reputation it seems to have, it is the one Beatles album that seems to reach out to the more casual fan of the band.

A great album, with a harder, more determinedly focused feel than a lot of their other releases on the first side, and that experimental, chaotic vibe on the absolutely breathtaking second side. It doesn't surprise me it has the highest number of votes here. I would be interested in what the final outcome would be on a poll for hardcore fans only.

Inam also amazed that, having been scoffed at weeks back for my lesser view of Sgt. Pepper, it has the second fewest votes of any of the chosen albums.

Then again, this is a poll taken during a rather quiet time for the forum, but still, what an interesting outcome!

And Rubber Soul getting as many votes it has is a nice surprise. Of course no none can call a Beatles album underrated, but in terms of Beatles releases only, it does seem to be overlooked for most of what came after. Nice it isn't so here!

It does seem to unfortunately dwell in the shadow of Revolver, historically, which deserves its lofty status for sure. I always regard them as sister albums of sorts, and it's the era of the Beatles' songwriting I most admire.

• Like 3

The Blue Album. No single Beatles album can beat this great collection of songs, IMO.

http://www.jpgr.co.uk/pcsp718_a.jpg

Because it's a greatest hits? :)

No. I can't think of another major act that I would say this about. This is exclusive to the Beatles

Would there be a difference between your favorite Beatles' album and the album you think is their best effort?

Probably. They probably put forth their best effort when it was a chore to get them in the same room together and yoko was there.

• Like 2

Would there be a difference between your favorite Beatles' album and the album you think is their best effort?

That's a great question. I guess one could say that about any bands work. Signals is my favorite Rush album. Would it be their best work? Arguable. Arguably Moving Picures is the best actual fully realized Rush album. The magic is all over it. Signals is great because is fundamentally flawed, same way I feel about Animals by Floyd. These were both difficult births which brought on a change in rhe way of doing things by both bands.

Abbey Road is my favorite Beatles album. Why is that? If doesnt hold the same criteria I outlined for my two other favorite albums. It was a comparatively easy and productive session for them. They had just come through a lot of bad stuff with each other and really came together (not intended) to make the recording of this a collaborative effort unlike their last few lps. It was also their swan song. The last time they worked together as the Beatles. The music contained therin is some of their best but there are a couple of weaker tracks which deter slightly but they are charming in a way only the Beatles could produce and add to the overal character of the album.

• Like 1

Magical Mystery Tour. Why ? Not sure but I can tell you that when CD's were first introduced, MMT was the first Beatles CD that I bought.

The same is true for me with Abbey Road. In fact, it was the first CD I ever bought, period.

But Revolver is still my favourite. ;)

• Like 1

Since the red album and the blue album have both been mentioned and are not on the list, I'll mention another one that deserves it- the soundtrack to the Beatles' Cirque du Soleil show, Love. It's not a Beatles album proper, of course, but the whole thing is just stupendous. It's really neat to hear the mixtures of some of the songs, and what they did with them. My favourite segment on the whole thing is the one that incorporates Drive My Car, What You're Doing, and The Word, altogether. It's great!

The whole thing is worth a listen, if you've never heard it.

I also got to see the show performed at the Mirage in Las Vegas, in 2010. It was really memorable...I just loved it.

• Like 4

Yes. My choice for best Beatles album would be Abbey Road, but for personal reasons I connect more with Rubber Soul.

Similarly, I find MP to be the best Rush album but AFTK moves me more and excites me musically.

• Like 1

Every time I listen to the next album in my Beatles marathon I want to change my vote. :huh:

Agreed!

It is never one of these: Sgt. Pepper, MMT, or Yellow Submarine. But otherwise, completely understand!

• Like 1

Every time I listen to the next album in my Beatles marathon I want to change my vote. :huh:

You're in the moment.

I actually got all choked up and teary singing along with "A Day in the Life" today.

Music wise, growing up in the 1960s must have been truly amazing. So much great music. So many innovations. So many truly great artists. I envy anyone who waited for the next Beatles album as it happened. "A Day in the Life" must have been jaw dropping.

• Like 3

You're in the moment.

I actually got all choked up and teary singing along with "A Day in the Life" today.

Music wise, growing up in the 1960s must have been truly amazing. So much great music. So many innovations. So many truly great artists. I envy anyone who waited for the next Beatles album as it happened. "A Day in the Life" must have been jaw dropping.

I can't even imagine (no pun intended). I met a woman a few weeks back who was at the Ed Sullivan show. As she was sharing her story I interrupted her for a moment to say that "that moment in time is so memorialized that it almost seems fictional, like the retelling of the Titanic". She shared her story of that day from the minute she woke up that morning to the minute she went to bed. I was just awestruck listening to her recall the memory. I have goosebumps just typing this.
  • Like 2

Since the red album and the blue album have both been mentioned and are not on the list, I'll mention another one that deserves it- the soundtrack to the Beatles' Cirque du Soleil show, Love. It's not a Beatles album proper, of course, but the whole thing is just stupendous. It's really neat to hear the mixtures of some of the songs, and what they did with them. My favourite segment on the whole thing is the one that incorporates Drive My Car, What You're Doing, and The Word, altogether. It's great!

I also got to see the show performed at the Mirage in Las Vegas, in 2010. It was really memorable...I just loved it.

I bought that album the day it came out. That night I listened to it and was, (um, well, let's see, how shall I put this) feeling good at the time. It just blew my mind. I didn't listen to it again for a couple of years. I've listened to it a few times since and find it thoroughly enjoyable. Its coming up soon in my current Beatles marathon...and I'm looking forward to the listen. (I'll be feeling good, only in a different way!) I agree with Blue J, if you haven't heard it, you owe to yourself to give it a spin.http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/album_review/adb34a676e06b74ee08e565ac69b13f02d607531.jpg

• Like 3

I bought that album the day it came out. That night I listened to it and was, (um, well, let's see, how shall I put this) feeling good at the time. It just blew my mind. I didn't listen to it again for a couple of years. I've listened to it a few times since and find it thoroughly enjoyable. Its coming up soon in my current Beatles marathon...and I'm looking forward to the listen. (I'll be feeling good, only in a different way!) I agree with Blue J, if you haven't heard it, you owe to yourself to give it a spin.http://assets.rollingstone.com/assets/images/album_review/adb34a676e06b74ee08e565ac69b13f02d607531.jpg

Yes, enjoy! I don't listen to it often, but I enjoy it a lot when I do.

• Like 1

You're in the moment.

I've tried to make your point countless times on this forum but it never seemed to take.

It was amazing growing up back then. and, yes - "A Day In The Life" was jaw dropping, so much so, it was banned shortly after it was released from being played on AM stations. I remember very vividly grabbing the album which had the lyrics (mercifully :LOL: ) printed on the inside cover and giving them to my brother-in-law to read so he could tell me why the song was banned.

But it is because of being so inundated by The Beatles back then that I am sick to death of them today.

• Like 1