Rush-Like Songs

Mr. Not

What are some songs that are very Rush-esque? Almost as if the band was trying to be Rush?

I have one. A few months ago I played this song in the car and my Dad asked "Is this Rush?"... And it made me realize that this song does in fact sound very much like a Test For Echo / Counterpart's Rush song if only Geddy were still to have a high vocal range.

http://youtu.be/FSbnxVaKTCk

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

What are some songs that are very Rush-esque? Almost as if the band was trying to be Rush?

I have one. A few months ago I played this song in the car and my Dad asked "Is this Rush?"... And it made me realize that this song does in fact sound very much like a Test For Echo / Counterpart's Rush song if only Geddy were still to have a high vocal range.

Like that song !!

I've never heard it before . . . thanks

I love Placebo, and this is the first song I heard from them back in 1996 - I immediately thought of Geddy

I immediately thought of theme music or a montage from a 21st century tv teen drama.

lol

Hearing you say that would probably be their worst nightmare :D

In love 'em though

But then again, what the heck do I know, the closest thing to a teen drama I ever watched was Boy Meets World

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

I love Placebo, and this is the first song I heard from them back in 1996 - I immediately thought of Geddy

I immediately thought of theme music or a montage from a 21st century tv teen drama.

lol

Hearing you say that would probably be their worst nightmare :D

In love 'em though

But then again, what the heck do I know, the closest thing to a teen drama I ever watched was Boy Meets World

I saw an episode of One Tree Hill just last night. I had only vaguely heard of the show and the only reason I saw it was because it was a promo extra on a DVD I rented. But yeah, this Placebo song could've easily fit on that show IMHO.

I am more likely to hear other bands in Rush music (Genesis, Queensryche, Led Zeppelin, etc) than hear Rush in other bands, for some reason.

Interesting.

Back in the early to mid 90s a buddy of mine came to me and said, "You gotta listen to this band. They sound like a pissed off Rush." He knew I loved Rush and assumed I'd like this band he was talking about. Turned out the album was Undertow by Tool. And though I didn't think they sounded like Rush, I completely understand what he meant by saying they sounded like "a pissed off Rush." Good album, great band.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Like that song !!

I've never heard it before . . . thanks

If you haven't checked out The Mars Volta you're in for a treat! Deloused in the Comatorium and Frances the Mute are unbelievable albums!

• Like 2

You'd be suprised how many Rush riffs there are on the first few Metallica records. Reworked, and timing changed... but clearly reuse/tributes. :) Edited by grep

yeah that Tiles one is ok, gotta laugh at the hemispheres artwork though you can't DO that surely :) Brian May sounds very much like early Alex at times in The Prophet Song by Queen but can't say I've noticed much to compare to rush