Best Song Ending

Ged Lent's sis

The Spirit of Radio (love the keyboard part at the end :LOL:)

Are you referring to the repeated note?? My friend and I always joke about how that's Geddy's "proudest piano" :LOL:

Yes!! The part where Geddy pounds on the same note followed by a glissando :LOL: Haha, it definitely sounds like his happiest piano!

I don't particularly like songs that the whole band fades out on. Pretty much true of any artist. Seems like they got lazy in the studio, and forgot to compose the end. it doesn't hurt a song, but it just doesn't add anything to me, even if there's a lot of clever playing in the fade out.

Jacob's Ladder and Far Cry come to mind as favorites.

• Like 2

My first thought was Freewill because I always thought the lyrics Geddy shrieks at the end were some of Neil's best ("each of us, a cell of awareness" etc) and really put a profound punctuation point on a great song.

Somehow 2112's Grand Finale didn't occur to me; I rescind my initial answer of Freewill and second your choice.

• Like 2

The Spirit of Radio (love the keyboard part at the end :LOL:)

Natural Science

The Fountain of Lamneth

Red Barchetta

The Camera Eye

and 2112 of course :yes:

The Spirit of Radio; another song with a great ending.

I think the ending of the ATWAS version of "In The End" is pretty awesome also.

• Like 2

BUMP & REBOOT: I think all of your choices are good and value your participation. Thanks everybody.

I also agree, however, with New World Kid about fade-outs. Notwithstanding Rush's being an exception in how creatively they approach the fade and how many classic albums aesthetics wouldn't be the same without the occasional fade, sometimes a fadeout is just a cop-out.

When I posted this, I was thinking more of a song's ending not only in the context of the album, but also in how it translates live. Further, if you wanted to turn someone on to Rush, and all you could play is the ending to a song, completely out of context, which would it be?

As much as I like all of your choices, until someone does what I did below and demonstrates otherwise,

I remain convinced TSoR is "the best" (if you'll allow a moment of cheekily absurd, fake objectivity re. taste).

http://youtu.be/j-tAOcn8Uu8

edited out "not" before "best"

Edited by Ged Lent's sis

Tai Shan's ending is the best; always means the song is over.

But the song that follows is only better in the slightest... "WE STILL FEEL THAT ELATION WHEN THE WATER TAKES US HOME"

1. 2112 (nothing more epic in this world)

2. Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage (the perfect time for Ged's highest ever note)

3. Xanadu

4. Limelight/Subdivisions

That's only counting Rush though.

• Like 1

Love the solo at the end of the Necromancer.

The ending to Necro always confused me a bit. The music for "Return of the Prince" is really upbeat, but the lyrics "Stealthily attacking, ByTor slays his foe..." to me deserve heavier music. Not that I don't enjoy it thoroughly...it just seems incongruous.

Tai Shan's ending is the best; always means the song is over.

But the song that follows is only better in the slightest... "WE STILL FEEL THAT ELATION WHEN THE WATER TAKES US HOME"

Nothing wrong with the sentiment of those lyrics, which are far less silly than a good portion of Neil's lyrics.