Jeff Beck or Eddie Van Halen?

HemiBeers

Jeff Beck or Eddie Van Halen?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who's better?

Who would find it more challenging? EVH having to fill in for Beck on a tour or Beck having to fill in for EVH?

Good question. More of a question of what's more difficult to replicate...speed and flash or nuance and feel.

Both players have their nuances. Eddie is more technically proficient than Jeff, imo, but he's not just about technique. I think Jeff would have a harder time filling in for Eddie than vice versa.

Jeff is 71 and has 11 years on Ed, so gotta cut a little slack there

Eddie. In my mind, by a lot.

I saw Jeff Beck once when he opened for SRV. An amazing show. I had never listened to Jeff Beck before. Not even on the same planet as EVH. SRV made me quickly forget the opening act.

I saw that Beck/SRV tour also. They traded who was the opening act and who was the headliner from one night to the next. I was so glad that Stevie was the headliner for the show I saw (Dayton, Ohio- November 15th, 1989).

Beck is a great guitarist in his own right...but he doesn't measure up when it comes to flash and fretboard mastery.

• Like 1

Who would find it more challenging? EVH having to fill in for Beck on a tour or Beck having to fill in for EVH?

Good question. More of a question of what's more difficult to replicate...speed and flash or nuance and feel.

Both players have their nuances. Eddie is more technically proficient than Jeff, imo, but he's not just about technique. I think Jeff would have a harder time filling in for Eddie than vice versa.

Jeff is 71 and has 11 years on Ed, so gotta cut a little slack there

I'd stand by my statement even if Jeff was the same age as Eddie. I think Jeff is a brilliant guitarist. I think Eddie is as well. I think Eddie is "better" (and I really hate that word for subjective things like this) due to his technical skill as well as his musicality.

People go to see VH for the SONGS first and foremost.

EVH can parlay his talent into great songs, Beck, not so much.

Not close.

I'm not qualified to judge their guitar playing, but I'm qualified to know which one actually moves me in some way.

Eddie's music gets me singing and tapping my foot while admiring his playing.

Beck's may cause some marginal interest at best, but it's forgotten a few minutes later.

I have to question how much of Jeff Beck's music you have actually heard, to say something like that.

• Like 3

So when was the last time Beck wrote an albums worth of songs ? He's not exactly prolific in that area was my point.

For someone who stated he is always writing music, Eddie Van Halen doesn't release very much of it.

• Like 1

So when was the last time Beck wrote an albums worth of songs ? He's not exactly prolific in that area was my point.

For someone who stated he is always writing music, Eddie Van Halen doesn't release very much of it.

He released an album of original material in 2012, got to #2 in the charts. When was the last time Jeff Beck released an album of original material ?

He released an album of original material in 2012, got to #2 in the charts. When was the last time Jeff Beck released an album of original material ?

Van Halen released one studio album since 1998. That's not exactly the definition of prolific. Jeff Beck released four studio albums since 1998. I just find it odd you criticize Jeff Beck for not being prolific in comparison to Eddie Van Halen.

• Like 1

The tapping aspect with Eddie is both a blessing and a curse - he truly brought it to the forefront and incorporated it into a recognizable style, which people identify with him ..

But, esp early on, it was such a small part of his playing - some of his most memorable and breathtaking work has little to no tapping ( or diddlydiddly :)

For instance, the incredible solo in Ice Cream Man starts out with what sounds like tapping, but it is actually NOT - it is standard fingered and picked notes - same with the intro to I'm The One - there is no tapping in that intro, and the groove is out of this world

I like Jeff Beck - loved his stuff on the 3rd Jeff Beck Group album, and his more recent stuff in which he literally makes the guitar sing

But early Eddie is off the charts - no one has ever touched those early years, and no one ever will

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 4

No contest. EVH.

Beck was an innovator. EVH was a game changer.

In the stratosphere of the elitist of the elite axemen, it all comes down to the same 5 guys. 4, really, and the 5th position often slides to the subjective.

But for me, it's always the same five guys....technique, innovation, ability to PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS (in other words, not just cruise the soloist circuit ala Vai or Malmsteen or Satriani or Di Meola or Bonamassa, which is why I take them outta play when it comes to ranking), and most of all, soul. Some play sloppier than others, some play more technical, some rip off each other and the godfathers like Les Paul or Chuck Berry and whom have you, but it's always the same 5 guys. :)

Hendrix

Clapton

Page

Van Halen

Stevie Ray

• Like 2

No contest. EVH.

In the stratosphere of the elitist of the elite axemen, it all comes down to the same 5 guys. 4, really, and the 5th position often slides to the subjective.

But for me, it's always the same five guys....technique, innovation, ability to PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS (in other words, not just cruise the soloist circuit ala Vai or Malmsteen or Satriani or Di Meola or Bonamassa, which is why I take them outta play when it comes to ranking), and most of all, soul. Some play sloppier than others, some play more technical, some rip off each other and the godfathers like Les Paul or Chuck Berry and whom have you, but it's always the same 5 guys. :)

Hendrix

Clapton

Page

Van Halen

Stevie Ray

well said

Stevie Ray was unbelievable

• Like 1

No contest. EVH.

Hendrix

Clapton

Page

Van Halen

Stevie Ray

well said

Stevie Ray was unbelievable

I saw one of his last shows when he was co-billing with Jeff Beck shortly before the 'copter crash. :(

I drove down from undergrad at CSU Chico to Arco Arena in Sacramento with a couple buddies. Beck opened that night. He was amazing.

But SRV?

Words fail. And we didn't have great seats. Didn't matter. Stevie was utterly magnificent. Didn't miss a beat. Flowed like honey. Like it was nothing. Like he'd been playing for thousands of years, and each note was new. Staggering.

I maintain to this day...despite having more preferred personal guitarists like EVH, I will defend to my dying day that nobody on earth has ever played a guitar with more soul than Stevie Ray Vaughn.

When you have a guy that makes Hendrix songs his own...you know you got something beyond there. :)

Edited by Bard
  • Like 3

Yes, absolutely !!

Stevie Ray is one of the few players that can have all the accolades heaped on him and it still is not enough -

I had a similar experience when I saw him at The Pier in NYC in 1988 ... Joe Satriani was opening, and I was in full "guitar hero" mode looking forward to seeing Satch and Stu Hamm on bass, etc

That show changed my life, and how I approached music

As much as I wanted to like him, Satriani was flat and boring ... When Stevie came on, he was like a hurricane of emotions and sound ... People in the audience were going nuts, loving it, crying - every imaginable emotion ..

On the ride home, my friend and I were stunned .. I don't think I have had an interest in listening to Satriani since

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

I like Joe when he's playing with others....like the Chickenfoot outfit he did with Sammy Hagar.

But as a solo artist....virtuoso style...like many others of that genre...focuses too much on technique and showboating. Not enough soul.

• Like 1

Who's better doesn't really matter, when they've both produced such amazing music.

Besides, they both have a lot of respect for each other. I did some searching and thought these were worth posting.

Eddie on Jeff (from 1998):

I seem to remember reading in an interview a long time ago that one of your biggest influences on the guitar was Jeff Beck's "Truth" album, is that right?

Actually, no - "Blow By Blow". He's a good friend of mine - actually Steve Lukather, who is one of my best friends, is producing his new record. I've heard some of it, it's incredible. Beck is just amazing.

He is. He's too much.

He's so heavy, he's too much for himself. He gets nervous, and stuff - he's a trippy guy. He's a great guy, though.

Have you ever played with him?

No, I never actually played with him. But whenever I go to England, you know, we hang out, we have a lot of fun.

Jeff on Eddie:

He brought tapping to the forefront, and I still think he was one of the tastiest players doing it. It wasn’t his fault that all these other horrendous people tried to emulate him. I actually saw Eddie play some blues once and it was really beautiful. It would be great to hear him play more in that style.

• Like 1

The tapping aspect with Eddie is both a blessing and a curse - he truly brought it to the forefront and incorporated it into a recognizable style, which people identify with him ..

But, esp early on, it was such a small part of his playing - some of his most memorable and breathtaking work has little to no tapping ( or diddlydiddly :)

For instance, the incredible solo in Ice Cream Man starts out with what sounds like tapping, but it is actually NOT - it is standard fingered and picked notes - same with the intro to I'm The One - there is no tapping in that intro, and the groove is out of this world

I like Jeff Beck - loved his stuff on the 3rd Jeff Beck Group album, and his more recent stuff in which he literally makes the guitar sing

But early Eddie is off the charts - no one has ever touched those early years, and no one ever will

The two handed stuff is the least interesting aspect of his style. But its the most identifiable and flashy. Damn Shame.

• Like 1

This is sick

The only tapping is a 3 second part beginning at 1:24 ..... the rest of the song - sounds like ONE TAKE - is standard guitar

magic

So damn good. I do think the first solo is comprised of more than one take, though.

This is sick

The only tapping is a 3 second part beginning at 1:24 ..... the rest of the song - sounds like ONE TAKE - is standard guitar

magic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K0LAE-Fel8

I'm not pulling out the "I'm a real fan because I don't like the popular stuff" crap, but the first album is actually not close to being my favorite VH album. That said, Eddie's sound on that album was so amazing. I remember first hearing Eruption at a buddy's house. His older brother had bought the debut. I almost literally could not believe what I was hearing.

This is sick

magic

I'm not pulling out the "I'm a real fan because I don't like the popular stuff" crap, but the first album is actually not close to being my favorite VH album. That said, Eddie's sound on that album was so amazing. I remember first hearing Eruption at a buddy's house. His older brother had bought the debut. I almost literally could not believe what I was hearing.

I cant imagine being a young rock guitarist in 78, maybe being into Kiss, Sabbath, Nugent etc..and then this comes along. There was just no referance point for Eddies playing on that first album.

• Like 3

And EVH is?

I thought Eddie can't arrange his own music. Isn't that what someone on this thread, or one of the few VH threads we have going in this section, said?

This is sick

magic

I cant imagine being a young rock guitarist in 78, maybe being into Kiss, Sabbath, Nugent etc..and then this comes along. There was just no referance point for Eddies playing on that first album.

Especially since what was popular at the time was music like Dire Straits and The Cars with their thin, wimpy guitars.