What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Why is David's death so tragic...surprising and utterly shocking? Because for the last few years he flew under the radar, yet in OUR youth, yes HIS youth too

he was IN YOUR FACE. One way or another BAM Bowie did what? Said this? Did that? So independent, game changing style pioneering artistic in so many ways

and to top it off Rebellious without too awfully much of the violence and blood that washed across much of his time spent on Earth . Without realizing it, I'd spent an entire day listening to music to David's music recapturing memories of my own lost youth....like we used to do when we were kids. 8th grade Battle of the Bands? I was inthe A/Vclub and ran lights and sound for the stage, I told Andy Sonatore (drummer of the glam rock band that evening) as I set up his strobe under his throne "you guys? you're gonna win" Oh? Yeah I heard your sound check you guys rock....wait'll Purple Haze.... They were the last act..So when Purple Haze kicked in? I turned the stage purple... then kicked his strobe on and SHUT DOWN EVERY LIGHT IN THE AUDITORIUM! Mr Kozar and Mr Kuhtyak the A.V club mentors went nuts turning the lights back on... one of em slapped me on my back and yelled WHAT THE EF ARE YOU DOING???? And Andy Sonatore Matt Sonatore (lead guitar) and Evan Kalambakas (bass) played Suffragette City as their winner's encore....the Sonatore brothers sporting their Bowie shag hair and rock n roll attitude. Bowie inspired you to do what was right for you and f8CK EVERYONE ELSE THAT DOES NOT UNDERSTAND! Eventually they will and if they don't? Give em time... just like Ohio weather if you don't like it? wait 10 minutes! There's a video of a Canadian Astronaut that covered Space Oddity on the ISS loaded it on You Tube before he left the station? I played it I don't know how many times and wept each time. My first ever record was Space Oddity on a 45 (a what?) soon after begging and pleading with Mom to let me watch the men walk on the moon? She relented and sent this space cadet on his own Space Odyssey. David was a one of a kind,no one will EVER fill his shoes...and part of the sadness is having lost him over the course of time only to find him again..........

^^^WHAT HE SAID!!!

I missed something that came back to me today. The middle..... if not for 80's Bowie with his dance anthems Let's Dance and China Girl? There'd probably be no Bobby Jr lol It was our first date at The Meadowbrook.... me and my first wife (her birthday even).... in North Jersey. Famous long time dance club...well the DJ spun magic and A Flock of Seagulls played live and the rest is history. Oh first anniversary we went back for Modern English the rest just melts with you honey. <3 Keep dancin I'll be there soon enough

• Like 1

One of our two ducks Jimmy - the friendliest duck you'd ever meet - died today :( . Not sure how, my dad just found him lying there in a puddle. Left our other duck, Floor, all alone :( .

I'm sorry :(

Why is David's death so tragic...surprising and utterly shocking? Because for the last few years he flew under the radar, yet in OUR youth, yes HIS youth too

he was IN YOUR FACE. One way or another BAM Bowie did what? Said this? Did that? So independent, game changing style pioneering artistic in so many ways

and to top it off Rebellious without too awfully much of the violence and blood that washed across much of his time spent on Earth . Without realizing it, I'd spent an entire day listening to music to David's music recapturing memories of my own lost youth....like we used to do when we were kids. 8th grade Battle of the Bands? I was inthe A/Vclub and ran lights and sound for the stage, I told Andy Sonatore (drummer of the glam rock band that evening) as I set up his strobe under his throne "you guys? you're gonna win" Oh? Yeah I heard your sound check you guys rock....wait'll Purple Haze.... They were the last act..So when Purple Haze kicked in? I turned the stage purple... then kicked his strobe on and SHUT DOWN EVERY LIGHT IN THE AUDITORIUM! Mr Kozar and Mr Kuhtyak the A.V club mentors went nuts turning the lights back on... one of em slapped me on my back and yelled WHAT THE EF ARE YOU DOING???? And Andy Sonatore Matt Sonatore (lead guitar) and Evan Kalambakas (bass) played Suffragette City as their winner's encore....the Sonatore brothers sporting their Bowie shag hair and rock n roll attitude. Bowie inspired you to do what was right for you and f8CK EVERYONE ELSE THAT DOES NOT UNDERSTAND! Eventually they will and if they don't? Give em time... just like Ohio weather if you don't like it? wait 10 minutes! There's a video of a Canadian Astronaut that covered Space Oddity on the ISS loaded it on You Tube before he left the station? I played it I don't know how many times and wept each time. My first ever record was Space Oddity on a 45 (a what?) soon after begging and pleading with Mom to let me watch the men walk on the moon? She relented and sent this space cadet on his own Space Odyssey. David was a one of a kind,no one will EVER fill his shoes...and part of the sadness is having lost him over the course of time only to find him again..........

^^^WHAT HE SAID!!!

I missed something that came back to me today. The middle..... if not for 80's Bowie with his dance anthems Let's Dance and China Girl? There'd probably be no Bobby Jr lol It was our first date at The Meadowbrook.... me and my first wife (her birthday even).... in North Jersey. Famous long time dance club...well the DJ spun magic and A Flock of Seagulls played live and the rest is history. Oh first anniversary we went back for Modern English the rest just melts with you honey. <3 Keep dancin I'll be there soon enough

Meadowbrook Theater, here in Michigan? Did you know he'd 'loaned' that song "China Girl" to Iggy Pop on Iggy's iconic Solo record, out in 1977, "The Idiot"? I bought that on the spot at RecordLand at Briarwood emall in Ann Arbor that fall. The proprietor was playing the album all the way through....I heard that song before a lot of folks did, I bet....fantastic song, BTW. I like Iggy's version better, actually...David helped Iggy on that whole album I give him ALL the credit for helping to get that album made and out to us hungry punksters....LOVE that album. Especially "Mass Production" and "The Dum Dum Boys" a song about his first group, "The Stooges", and the store they used to hang out in front of,"The Blue Front" a small convenience store on the convergeance of State St. and Packard St. in Ann Arbor.

Edited by OldRUSHfan

One of our two ducks Jimmy - the friendliest duck you'd ever meet - died today :( . Not sure how, my dad just found him lying there in a puddle. Left our other duck, Floor, all alone :( .

So sorry. That is really sad.

stupid food commercials.... DRUG commercials, GREED commercials...99% of COMMERCIALS....Geico continues to lead the GOOD COMMERCIALS bunch...State Farm's "She's a guy" commercial still leads the whole crew though! http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Laughing/Laugh-animatedGREAT.gif

Sorry for your loss....so long, Jimmy the duck....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Deadness/dead-smiley.gif

To Jimmy the Duck! :cheers:
  • Like 1

Sorry for your loss....so long, Jimmy the duck....http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Deadness/dead-smiley.gif

To Jimmy the Duck! :cheers:

Just make sure he's not left with the BILL.....

Seeing this posted on Facebook.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t180/imzadi-7/12510348_1082074511811447_408526875508526975_n_zpsi2xg2ogx.jpg

• Like 1

A list of aging musicians who are still with us in 2016. There are 50 big names on it.

I'm surprised there aren't more. David Bowie's death got me thinking: who is replacing these men when they die? No one. Maybe Fraroc is right. Rock is dying out.

I will go on IE and see if the list shows on there.

A list of aging musicians who are still with us in 2016. There are 50 big names on it.

I'm surprised there aren't more. David Bowie's death got me thinking: who is replacing these men when they die? No one. Maybe Fraroc is right. Rock is dying out.

I will go on IE and see if the list shows on there.

There are more...I just noticed James Taylor isn't on it; he's still making new music.

But there is definitely some truth to that notion, that they're not being replaced. The process of making a living as a musician has completely changed, with album sales continuing to spiral downward every year, with digital downloads gaining more and more share...some musicians are forced into relentless touring just to keep making it. And much more often than not, those tours take place in smaller theaters, because arena acts are fewer and farther between.

I actually much prefer small theater shows, but musicians have to play quite a few more of those to make the same amount of coin as they would an arena show. I believe so, anyway.

Many missing. Just off the top of my head, Keith Richards (72), Jimmy Page (71), Neil Young (70)

And Keith Richards and Neil Young were out touring, still, this summer :) :) Don't know if Jimmy Page was or not . . .

Many missing. Just off the top of my head, Keith Richards (72), Jimmy Page (71), Neil Young (70)

Jimmy Page turned 72 last week, actually.

;)

And he is truly looking good, especially for his age, and what he's been through in the past.

• Like 1

The original members of Black Sabbath are missing. Ozzy, Tony and Bill turn 68 this year and Geezer turns 67.

Alice Cooper also turns 68 next month and with the exception of Mick Jagger, is in better shape than any other aging rocker out there now.

• Like 1