New Iron Maiden album - Book of Souls

I'm going to get a lot of (deserved) razzing for this, but honest to shit....Sebastian Bach would have made an awesome replacement for Dickinson in terms of doing justice to his songs. I think the guy is a total tool, but I'll be damned if I don't love this version he did of Children of the Damned. Compare this so any live version of Bayley doing Dickinson. ;)

https://www.youtube....h?v=8eMQODYfJQw

I was pretty blown away by this.

Edited by Presto-digitation

X-Factor and Virtual XI are definitely my leasts. Some good songs on both, just not under Blaze. I was actually shocked Bruce breathed such life into many of these cuts live (and equally shocked he was good-natured enough to want to sing them)...because the vocals brought them down so much on the albums I stopped caring if The Clansman was actually a good song masquerading under the unfortunate vocals of a miscast replacement. This is why I would be for a vocal redo of each. It's quite possible X-Factor, especially, might ascend out of the 2nd worst spot to 4th worst perhaps.

But there's no saving Como Estais Amigos. Bloody cunting helll....is that really an Iron Maiden song? Kill me. :D

I really don't hate his voice. I like that they tried something different.

I can appreciate that they tried to find someone who didn't imitate Bruce...indeed. But ultimately I think his voice is the equivalent of listening to an insurance seminar for hours. If he had any kind of dynamism or range I'd have probably liked him more. But he sings in that comfortable almost-spoken tenor. Eh, feck this guy.

When I heard Bruce and Adrian were coming back I was hopeful, but wondered if they still had it...ya know? Or would there be just more Weekend Warriors and The Apparition to not look forward to. But then I heard The Wicker Man and I almost cried, both because I was relieved and because I really liked it. Finally something resembling Iron Maiden was back.

And I'm not just a Bruce homer either, full disclosure. I LOVED Paul's voice on the first two albums...as well as those songs. So it's not like "Dickinson-or-bust" with me. But Bayley was a big egg-laying.

They tried something new. But they replaced a $1000 bottle of champagne with a cheap sugat free soda.

But still...if I pretend they aren't Maiden albums I like them

I'm going to get a lot of (deserved) razzing for this, but honest to shit....Sebastian Bach would have made an awesome replacement for Dickinson in terms of doing justice to his songs. I think the guy is a total tool, but I'll be damned if I don't love this version he did of Children of the Damned. Compare this so any live version of Bayley doing Dickinson. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eMQODYfJQw

Agree! Plus the lead of Helloween...

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eMQODYfJQw

Agree! Plus the lead of Helloween...

My dog sings better than Blaze.

I don't mind that they went a different direction in a singer like Blaze but he had zero life in his voice. I often wonder if Maiden was up against the deadline to get the new album out and really needed to pick someone and Blaze was available right away to take the gig, so they picked him.

Steve Harris is the main song driving force behind Maiden, the band is his baby, no one will deny that. But I think the Blaze era proved that Bruce is the lifeblood, heart and soul of the band. I can almost say the same for Adrian as well. There was something missing in the band when he wasn't around too. Those three are musical soulmates and each bring out the best in each other's songwriting.

• Like 3

I think you're spot on in your assessment. Bruce is THE singer in the band. He wasn't the first and just one of three....but the era of the band that nearly everyone remembers most fondly is that BULK of time that is his with the band. Also your comments on Adrian as well.... Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

Been listening to the second half a lot the last few days, after giving myself enough time to absorb the first.

Death Or Glory - straightforward like Speed of Light, though not quite as good. But not bad. Will need more listens.

Shadows Of The Valley - This one isn't that great. It has some moments but like a lot of stuff in the second half of Final Frontier, it kinda just drags on.

Tears Of A Clown - This one is absolutely excellent, and one of my favorites they've written since Seventh Son. Wow. Bruce really delivers the expressions in his voice on this one, and a very bluesy solo from Adrian. Will happily listen to this one over and over :haz:

Man Of Sorrows - This one's good, probably about middle of the pack. The "Dave compositions" were never the best apart from The Nomad or Benjamin Breeg. Will need more listens, probably.

Empire Of The Clouds - Aw, shit. This is a masterpiece. Every bit of this song is dripping with beautiful music. Bruce is a genius. :not worthy:

Overall, I think the first side is better, but the second side isn't bad. Shadows Of The Valley is just too long for what it offers. Great album that I am happy to have, and for once, that cliche opinion "best since Brave New World" doesn't seem so wrong anymore. A top 5 Maiden album for sure.

1. Somewhere In Time

2. Brave New World

3. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

4. Powerslave

5. Book Of Souls

Knocked out of #5 was AMOLAD

Been listening to the second half a lot the last few days, after giving myself enough time to absorb the first.

Death Or Glory - straightforward like Speed of Light, though not quite as good. But not bad. Will need more listens.

Shadows Of The Valley - This one isn't that great. It has some moments but like a lot of stuff in the second half of Final Frontier, it kinda just drags on.

Tears Of A Clown - This one is absolutely excellent, and one of my favorites they've written since Seventh Son. Wow. Bruce really delivers the exp<b></b>ressions in his voice on this one, and a very bluesy solo from Adrian. Will happily listen to this one over and over :haz:

Man Of Sorrows - This one's good, probably about middle of the pack. The "Dave compositions" were never the best apart from The Nomad or Benjamin Breeg. Will need more listens, probably.

Empire Of The Clouds - Aw, shit. This is a masterpiece. Every bit of this song is dripping with beautiful music. Bruce is a genius. :not worthy:

Overall, I think the first side is better, but the second side isn't bad. Shadows Of The Valley is just too long for what it offers. Great album that I am happy to have, and for once, that cliche opinion "best since Brave New World" doesn't seem so wrong anymore. A top 5 Maiden album for sure.

1. Somewhere In Time

2. Brave New World

4. Powerslave

5. Book Of Souls

Fun read and good breakdown. Thank you for sharing.

Tears Of A Clown - This one is absolutely excellent, and one of my favorites they've written since Seventh Son. Wow. Bruce really delivers the exp<b></b>ressions in his voice on this one, and a very bluesy solo from Adrian. Will happily listen to this one over and over :haz:

1. Somewhere In Time

2. Brave New World

4. Powerslave

5. Book Of Souls

Piece of Mind AND Number of the Beast don't make your top 5?

• Like 2

I'm still ranking high the debut album (Phantom Of The Opera remains my Maiden favourite track and there are smaller gems also)

The Number Of The Beast

Powerslave

Iron Maiden

A Matter Of Life And Death

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son

Tears Of A Clown - This one is absolutely excellent, and one of my favorites they've written since Seventh Son. Wow. Bruce really delivers the expressions in his voice on this one, and a very bluesy solo from Adrian. Will happily listen to this one over and over :haz:

1. Somewhere In Time

2. Brave New World

4. Powerslave

5. Book Of Souls

Piece of Mind AND Number of the Beast don't make your top 5?

No. They have great and career defining songs, but those songs don't make up the entire albums. Beast has loads of filler. Piece of Mind is better, but it doesn't crack the top 5. I'm in the camp that thinks they got better when they got proggier.

RNB I know you don't like it when you see other people making "weird" rankings for bands like "MP not in top 2" for the sake of being different, but I assure you this is not the case here.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 2

The only song that can be considered filler on Beast is Gangland. So, I don't know where you're getting "loads" of filler from?

Personal taste?

• Like 1

Speaking about whether he has any plans to work on a new solo album to follow up 2005's "Tyranny Of Souls", Dickinson said: "'If Eternity Should Fail', the opening track [of the new IRON MAIDEN album 'The Book Of Souls'], that was going to be the title track to my solo album. I had about six songs demoed, and Steve [Harris, IRON MAIDEN bassist] heard 'em last summer. And he went, 'That's a really cool song. Can we use that? That's gonna be the opening song on the album.' And I went, 'Yeah, okay.' And he was already writing, I think… He was already thinking of 'The Book Of Souls' as being the title, so he told me about the Mayan thing. And I'm, like, 'Yeah, that's cool. Okay. Yeah, I see where you're going.' But in my case, that song was written as part of a story. So the spoken word at the end is the beginning of a story that goes through the whole album. And one of the characters is Dr. Necropolis; he's the bad guy. And the good guy is Professor Lazarus; he raises people from the dead. So that introduces Necropolis in the spoken-word thing. And I asked Steve… I said, 'Look. Okay. I get having the song…' 'Cause it opens up with, 'Here is the soul of a man.' 'Yup. Get that. But what about the end?' I said, 'Will people understand what this is about? Because this is nothing to do with the Mayans or anything. This is to do with… I'd come up with a concept album that doesn't happen.' [Laughs] And he [went], 'No, no, no. It's just talking about souls and everything, and it sounds great.' I went, 'Okay.' [Laughs]"

Asked if he has already completed writing his next solo album, Dickinson said: "Not a whole one. I actually… One idea I had… And I don't know if I'm gonna do it yet… One idea I had was maybe in November or December or something, maybe to go out and start doing some writing and a little bit of demoing, just to try my voice out — under no stress, no jeopardy; just as an experiment to see what it sounded like. But we'll see. I mean, there's no way, even if I had a solo album finished and ready to go, it's not gonna come out next year, and it's probably not gonna come out the year after. So it's not to stress about it."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/iron-maidens-bruce-dickinson-has-demoed-six-songs-for-solo-concept-album/#vMXQyGz52BOBYgSy.99

• Like 1

Well, I love Piece of Mind but I'm sort of with Union and Bowl as it probably wouldn't crack my top 5. I put it above all the 90s albums and (I'll get a lot of flack for this) Killers though.

I have no problem putting Piece of Mind over Killers. Killers has some good stuff like Murders in the Rue Morgue and Wrathchild but it doesn't have The Trooper, Still Life, Where Eagles Dare, or Revelations.

The only song that can be considered filler on Beast is Gangland. So, I don't know where you're getting "loads" of filler from?

Personal taste?

:D I know, right?

Yeah, I know that's what it comes down to but i've never heard anyone say that about Beast before. That's not even something I can understand, honestly. I'm sure it's the same way Segue feels when I say I don't care much for Karmacode even though i'm a Lacuna Coil fan :cool:

How bout some tour news? Dates in Australia and New Zealand have been announced.

http://www.ironmaiden.com/tourdates.php