New Iron Maiden album - Book of Souls

As for Powerslave, I love the first two and the last two songs. Flash Of The Blade is good but the rest of it has always been rather forgettable to me. If I never heard Losfer Words, The Duelist or Back In The Village again, it wouldn't bother me in the least. They're all just middle of the road Maiden songs to these ears. Decent tunes to fill out an album and nothing more.

Wow...I have to say I disagree.

They are METAL, to my ears! :haz:

I never said that they weren't metal, just said those three songs were filler.

Back In The Village has some real nice guitar work but it lacks the great melodic vocal hooks that Bruce is so talented at producing. Sometimes great musicianship isn't enough to save a song where there's nothing about the song that hooks you in musically or vocally. I feel the same way about The Duelist.

Edited by J2112YYZ

As for Powerslave, I love the first two and the last two songs. Flash Of The Blade is good but the rest of it has always been rather forgettable to me. If I never heard Losfer Words, The Duelist or Back In The Village again, it wouldn't bother me in the least. They're all just middle of the road Maiden songs to these ears. Decent tunes to fill out an album and nothing more.

I never said that they weren't metal, just said those three songs were filler.

Back In The Village has some real nice guitar work but it lacks the great melodic vocal hooks that Bruce is so talented at producing. Sometimes great musicianship isn't enough to save a song where there's nothing about the song that hooks you in musically or vocally. I feel the same way about The Duelist.

No worries, yeah, I knew what you meant.

When I said 'METAL', I just meant it as a seal of approval from me. :)

A frying pan is metal too but I don't listen to it...

Haha...you say that now...but what if you get hungry?

Then the metal thing is means to the end. I don't eat the metal, I use it.

Then the metal thing is means to the end. I don't eat the metal, I use it.

:blink:

I know that...never mind, no worries.

Where is treeduck when I need him??

There's not a Maiden song I dislike until you get to No Prayer. I even like Quest for Fire. :o

:goodone: Same for me :yes:

I even like Quest for Fire. :o

The one where people and dinosaurs walked the Earth at the same time? Well, good ole 'arry should get his facts straight, but even this song is divine as it is on the divine Piece of Mind.

I lost interest in Maiden completely after hearing No Prayer, and it wasn't until BNW that I hopped on board again.

I even like Quest for Fire. :o

The one where people and dinosaurs walked the Earth at the same time? Well, good ole 'arry should get his facts straight, but even this song is divine as it is on the divine Piece of Mind.

I lost interest in Maiden completely after hearing No Prayer, and it wasn't until BNW that I hopped on board again.

Have you ever heard of Land of the Lost?

• Like 1

There's not a Maiden song I dislike until you get to No Prayer. I even like Quest for Fire. :o

:goodone: Same for me :yes:

That makes 3 I guess. I'll also add that there hasn't been a bad song since Bruce has returned

Add one to the list but only up to No Prayer.

And how Bruce, an historian, let that mistake on Quest for Fire reach the album, is beyond me!!!!

I bet Steve never asked him. "This is my band and my song, if I say dinosaurs were here when we were here it's true!"

And how Bruce, an historian, let that mistake on Quest for Fire reach the album, is beyond me!!!!

I bet Steve never asked him. "This is my band and my song, if I say dinosaurs were here when we were here it's true!"

The song was written about the movie, right? Were there any dinosaurs in the movie?

I'm super-stoked for the new release. Already pre-ordered. Almost shocking that they had never done a double album before.

Parts of the following opinion will probably be unpopular, but...

I think this album is going to be off-the-rails good. And not just because they've generally ruled and kicked ass since Brave New World.

The only flaw in those last four albums is that they are super DENSE. There's no room to breathe on them.

What made Judas Priest's Nostradamus so damn good was that it kicked your ass repeatedly, but took small breaks to let you recover. I honestly find Nostradamus to be an extraordinary album. Don't worry: I think almost everything up to Defenders is still awesome, too.

That space-to-breathe element is why my favorite Maiden album is Powerslave. There's a well-placed instrumental on side one (and nearly a second one inside Duellists). On side two, the title track takes its time, Back in the Village is nearly an Indian drone, and …well, then there's Rime

I think a similar measured approach will serve Maiden very, very well.

Book of Souls may end up being a Clockwork Angels-type high water mark.

• Like 2

I'm super-stoked for the new release. Already pre-ordered. Almost shocking that they had never done a double album before.

Well, not a double cd, but in the vinyl days all their latest efforts would have been doubles... That's the problem nowadays (not particularly with Maiden, but in general): You can squeeze 80 minutes of material in one cd, so everyone does it - even if they have only 40 minutes of good stuff and the rest is filler. I loved AC/DC's latest: 11 tight songs, under 40 minutes. Nothing more than the essential. You don't need to put 18 songs on an album only because it's possible - unless you have 18 GOOD songs. 10 good songs is better than 10 good songs and 8 bad ones.

Many bands and artists seem to think that their fans value quantity over quality. Makes me wonder.

Edited by Pete Bondurant
  • Like 2