How much have you stolen from Rush?

YYZumbi

Nothing.

Never really been into pirating. Not only the moral implications but all the file sharing sites are full of virus. Almost every one i know that used these got screwed at least once...

• Like 1

I didn't steal from Rush, but these 3 groups have done some form of borrowing from Geddy, Alex and Neil:

1. Jane's Addiction: Guitarist Dave Navarro admitted that his band's song "Three Days" is "Xanadu"

2. Smashing Pumpkins: Billy Corgan confessed to stealing a riff from "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"

3. Dream Theater: This band made an entire career out of trying to emulate Rush, especially in "The Best of Times" which borrowed from "The Spirit of Radio"

• Like 1

I didn't steal from Rush, but these 3 groups have done some form of borrowing from Geddy, Alex and Neil:

1. Jane's Addiction: Guitarist Dave Navarro admitted that his band's song "Three Days" is "Xanadu"

2. Smashing Pumpkins: Billy Corgan confessed to stealing a riff from "By-Tor and the Snow Dog"

3. Dream Theater: This band made an entire career out of trying to emulate Rush, especially in "The Best of Times" which borrowed from "The Spirit of Radio"

"When we want something, we don't want to pay for it."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUnqr1t7yI

"Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-r-V0uK4u0

"You live without shame. You're digging up a gold mine. Standing on the sidelines. Watching through the looking glass."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cf1CF6Avvc

Edited by RushFanForever

I`ve not listened to the Pumpkins for some time but Cherub Rock would be the Bytor steal, right?

I like the physical item too much so always buy CDs, no downloads - no massively deep feelings about piracy (but I think it shows a lack of respect to the artist and I wouldn't steal a painting or a book, so...)

I`ve not listened to the Pumpkins for some time but Cherub Rock would be the Bytor steal, right?

I like the physical item too much so always buy CDs, no downloads - no massively deep feelings about piracy (but I think it shows a lack of respect to the artist and I wouldn't steal a painting or a book, so...)

That's the one.

https://youtu.be/q-KE9lvU810

Oh, you mean literally stolen? As in physical goods?

Nothing.

But when I jam with people, I sometimes steal a Lifeson part and twist it, syncopate it, make it my own.

I was jamming with a drummer and repurposed that great arpeggio in E at the beginning of "Xanadu", made it sound a bit more reggae, transposed some of the notes. We got a good 15 minute session out of that. The drummer wanted to know where I came up with it. My secret. :-)

None of the commercial releases and I have purchased nearly all. However, I have quite few boots and will disagree with my fellow Vancouverite Fordgalaxy that it's taking money from the band. To me it's enhancing my collection by means not available to me in any other fashion. For example, they haven't released a CD of the 2 concerts I saw them play at the Gorge. Some bands began doing that a few years back, literally recording every show and making it available for purchase a week or so later. Metallica and The Who come to mind. Had Rush ever done so, I would've purchased any and all shows I attended because of the higher audio quality that was 99% likely.

I also have a fair amount of boot DVDs quite a few of which they never released a video of for the specific tour. For example, T4E they've only officially released half a show due to recording issues. I have a Reno show from Roll The Bones a tour that had no official DVD. Same with the '94 show from The Palace and so on and so forth. Very few of the tours that they released on official DVD are in my collection as boots and the one that comes to mind, MSG on the TM tour I have because Ged's vocals are superior to the official release which I still purchased to support the band.

For Rush, I've bought every album multiple times over. Hell, I've got 7 copies of Permanent Waves alone. (I would have had 8, but someone outbid me on an 8-track copy last fall. Grrr.)

I do, however, have a bunch of bootlegs. Do I feel guilty about them? Hell no. It's only hardcore fans who are listening to bootlegs, and those fans generally have bought every official recording the band has ever released. And if the band were to someday release one of those bootlegs officially, I'd be first in line to pay for it. Yes, it's a legal grey area, but it's not at all an ethical grey area, as far as I'm concerned.

Now, for other bands, that's another matter. As a rule, for current artists and new releases, I always buy an official copy in some form, whether that's vinyl, CD, or a download. For small time independent artists, I consider it a moral imperative to pay for their work.

However, my willingness to pirate something increases directly in proportion to the age of the recording and how many copies it's already sold, and how much I care about it. The surviving members of Pink Floyd don't need the 10 cents they'd get from me buying the 20,000,001st copy of The Wall. Besides, if I were going to buy a copy, I'd buy one from a used CD or record store anyway, and the band wouldn't see a penny from it. I don't care about that album enough to pay full price for it.

Next, for all the people in this thread screaming about how downloading has killed the music industry and ruined music - are you insane?? The music industry is alive and well, and it's making mad bank off of streaming, which is now a multi-billion dollar industry. (Note that it's mostly corporations getting rich off of streaming and not the individual artists - as it's always been.) What the decline of physical media sales has meant is that artists are making the bulk of their income from live performances rather than album sales, which is exactly the way things started out at the beginning of the 20th century. We've come full circle. The idea that you can make a living by selling recordings of your music is an invention of the 1950s and 60s, it's not something inherent to music.

Clockwork Angels was due in shop next day but that night became aware was on a torrent site

Was going to get the cd anyway so..

I couldn't wait, don't even feel need to apologise i'm a proper Rush head i needed it too much :)

Had a great night obvs