Concert Reviews

Disco

Phish at MSG December 28, 2022

What can I say, I attend every Phish show in the NYC area.   Always a great time and it feels good to leave the planet for a few hours.

52596466103_bf5bf61999_c.jpg

52596465273_0e561324ab_b.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 2

On 12/30/2022 at 1:59 PM, custom55 said:

Phish at MSG December 28, 2022

What can I say, I attend every Phish show in the NYC area.   Always a great time and it feels good to leave the planet for a few hours.

52596466103_bf5bf61999_c.jpg

52596465273_0e561324ab_b.jpg

Ended up going a day early so the plan changed to doing nights 2 and 4.  We then got the horrible news that Warren Haynes was in the hospital and that the Mule show was postponed.  So, I ended up at MSG nights 2, 3, and 4.  We were 6th row behind the stage New Years.  Ended up with 6 Phish shows in 2022.

• Like 2

Rumors are swirling about a Sweet 16 residency this summer at MSG.    We'll see.

How was the show from behind the stage?   Lighting looks incredible but the sound ? 

Edited by custom55

8 hours ago, custom55 said:

Rumors are swirling about a Sweet 16 residency this summer at MSG.    We'll see.

How was the show from behind the stage?   Lighting looks incredible but the sound ? 

We were is section 420 (Page side) for Thursday night, section 417 (right behind Trey) Fri night, and then the lower section (113 I think) for NYE.   Sound was great.  They had speakers pointing towards the rear as well.  Only issue was the lights did block us several times in sec 417.  But you are primarily there to hear things not to see things.   Being a guitar player, it was kinda neat to have the 'up above and behind Trey' perspective.  So I could focus on all of the footwork Trey was doing which you never get to see if you are facing the stage.  Was surprised how much he used his wah peddle.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

Tedeschi Trucks was unbelievably excellent!  Other than a Rush concert, I had more fun at this one than any other concert.

I usually catch their Beacon shows in NYC each year.   Great music. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mithrandir said:

Tedeschi Trucks was unbelievably excellent!  Other than a Rush concert, I had more fun at this one than any other concert.

Have seen them many times. One of the very few bands still out there that I will every time they are in town or within a 2 hour drive.

• Like 2

Here's my review of the Klash of the Titans tour - Spiritworld, Death Angel, Kreator and Sepultura: 

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/concert-reviews/klash-of-the-titans-june-2023/?fbclid=IwAR15_rHaDGOc7K9oi3gAsbjf0vUfo2gI8sNUW2joZ21XVblFweiy1jS3KGg

Mike Gordon ( bass for Phish ) last night at Webster Hall NYC.   I arrived early so I could stand up close to the stage. 

Great grooves and the crowd was into it.   I love when bands start the show when they say they'll start.  7:30pm. 

52983486688_3ab057b8bc_z.jpg

52982411142_38444707e6_z.jpg

52983474533_581a856dc1_z.jpg

Edited by custom55

I saw the Trey Anastasio Band over the weekend outdoors at the Stone Pony Summer stage in Asbury Park NJ.  Great outdoor venue with no seating except for a small handicap section off to the right of the stage.  

Doors open and 5:30pm and the band came on stage at 6:50pm.  There's a 10:30pm curfew, which I love :old:

We got into the venue when the doors opened so we could get something to eat and I needed to buy a t-shirt.  It's an 90 min drive home so I drank water.

Now the bad.   It was freakin' humid and I think they oversold the venue.   The capacity on their website says 3,000 but it seemed much, much more.   We stood close to the front of the stage for the first set groovin' along and didn't realize how packed the place was.   To get the the bars and bathrooms was awful.  Elbow to elbow everywhere. 

For the second set we stood in the back but it was very uncomfortable with the crowds so we left.   The band sounded great but the atmosphere was a buzz kill.

53034125827_90c9a2e8fc_b.jpg

53035190383_2b48349244_c.jpg

Edited by custom55

I caught the GNR show at Fenway Park last night.  Unfortunately, the heavens opened up about 3 or 4 songs in, and our seats were not covered.  Fortunately, we stood in a stairwell, and were able to watch the show for about 30 minutes under cover.  It stopped so we went back to our seats and then started to rain again at the end of Knockin' on Heaven's Door (the second to last song).

Axl sounded better than he did last summer.  This was my 5th time seeing them (1988, 1991, 2017, 2022, 2023).  The last 3 times, outside of the band introductions, I doubt if Axl said 50 words during the whole show.  Gone are the days of his rants about things like Warren Beatty.  I could have done without the 3 newer songs.  Last year it was cool that they played Absurd, because I think that was the first time, ever, they played that song.  This time they could have just put 3 more UYI songs in the set (since they released the DEs last fall).  Slash was phenomenal as always, and after the band left the stage, he was out there throwing picks and interacting with the crowd.  He gets it.

If you like them (I loved them in the 80s and early 90s) it's a good nostalgia show.

• Like 3

I don't venture out of SOCN very much, mostly because of time but I went to a great concert last night and thought I would comment on it. It was The Offspring and it was a makeup concert that was rained out about a month ago. I've never seen them live but I've liked them ever since the early nineties. Anyway, I was thoroughly impressed. They sounded amazing and the show was very energetic. 

I didn't realize how talented Dexter Holland is. He doesn't sing all that wonderful, but he writes great music. On top of that, he has a PhD in molecular biology, started a hot sauce company and flies a military trainer jet. 

Anyway, it was a great concert. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, workingcinderellaman said:

I don't venture out of SOCN very much, mostly because of time but I went to a great concert last night and thought I would comment on it. It was The Offspring and it was a makeup concert that was rained out about a month ago. I've never seen them live but I've liked them ever since the early nineties. Anyway, I was thoroughly impressed. They sounded amazing and the show was very energetic. 

I didn't realize how talented Dexter Holland is. He doesn't sing all that wonderful, but he writes great music. On top of that, he has a PhD in molecular biology, started a hot sauce company and flies a military trainer jet. 

Anyway, it was a great concert. 

Saw them last month. They were great!

Eagles was one of the best live shows I've ever seen.  They sounded amazing.  The vibe was mostly pretty mellow, which was to be expected.  As they work their way through their setlist, you're amazed at how many of their songs you've heard 1,000 times.  Vince Gill and Deacon Frey did a good job at filling in for Glenn Frey.  Joe Walsh remains one of the most entertaining musical figures of all time, and the most "up," moments of the show were when Joe did In the City, Funk #49 and Rocky Mountain Way.  

• Like 2

Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - Enmore Theatre, Sydney Australia.

Simply awesome. Great musicians, superb sound, phenomenal set. A few tracks off Obscured By Clouds (one of my favourite Floyd albums) was a bonus!

I saw Saucerful of Secrets some months ago in London, and agree it's a fantastic show.

On the night I went, there were a number of elderly gentlemen in the audience, in their 70s I reckon, one of whom proceeded slowly using a walking stick.

What struck me was how this music of their youth has sustained them over their entire lives.  The thrill and excitement they felt when they they first heard it was so profound, that even now, as elderly men, it draws them to the show.

A real testament to the power of the music.

And the show itself was played with real heart and spirit; you could feel the musicians' love of the music. This transforms it into something much more magical than a nostalgia show.

Edited by Disco
  • Like 1

My 7th New Year's Eve Phish run at MSG. 

As usual, Phish NYE run did not disappoint.    I'll be back for their Dec 30th show.

Amazing show.

53427734786_c6bd8082cd_z.jpg

53428059169_b5a71865fe_z.jpg

Edited by custom55

On 10/20/2023 at 6:32 PM, BastillePark said:

My review of a recent Tool concert is, meh. Fully half of the 12 songs played were from their latest record and they seem to plod along with not much energy, and I really like Tool. The light show was fabulous so there's that.

I have seen tool multiple times on the fear inoculum tour and it is unlike any other rock band I have ever seen. Imagine a 55yo+ band where over half the set is new material, and The Crowd Goes Wild every new song. For the seven times I've seen fear inoculum, reminds me of my roll the bones tour experience , but that was only five shows because of course back then bands had to move on to the next album.

Interesting how we could have such different takes on tool. Their new album is phenomenal, on their fan message boards it's very common for fans to rate fear inoculum as their best album. To me when they play a new song the sound quality, the depth of the song from soft to incredibly complex rhythms but still extremely forceful for the fans to overwhelmingly appreciate, is unlike what any other band brings to the table regarding new material. It is unlike what any other band currently brings to the live arena. 

It is like what rush was in the 70s except after rush released 2112, farewell to kings, hemispheres, permanent waves, rushed decided to go into a more contemporary format. Tool i's like rush but they kept going with the Hard Rock Progressive genre for their entire career.

And Danny is the one drummer who can bring it close to how the professor did