Only sad person here?

mother of all machines

Haha, actually from the ass of the world, aka Argentina

De veras? Algun dia quisiera visitar su pais. He leido tanto de la tierra y la gente...

From the POV of someone who has been so depressed over his favorite bands retiring and arena rock dying that he's had thoughts of suicide in the past, trust me. You're not the only sad one here.

We all agree you are the saddest.

Quite possibly the most f***ed up post I have ever had the misfortune to read and you are clearly the most shallow and pitiful individual to ever grace this site.

Suicide and depression are obviously not something to joke about or to take lightly, I get that. Appearing to be flippant, nasty or bullying towards someone who expresses their experience of depression and worse, suicidal feelings on the face of it make me look a compassionless monster but you are such a shallow and precious individual that one has to wonder if this crap just rolls of your tongue ad lib and you are yet another sorry individual who treats social media as an opportunity to gather pity and sympathy just to be the centre of attention.

Rather than being depressed about the passage of time's affect on the fortunes of some pop bands and the longevity of their careers, how about you go and do something useful and positive with your life like a self-help group for people with zero self- respect?

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 6

From the POV of someone who has been so depressed over his favorite bands retiring and arena rock dying that he's had thoughts of suicide in the past, trust me. You're not the only sad one here.

Dude...this is the most shallow thing I have yet to come across. Depression gets my sympathy, but this scenario makes me wonder if you have any friends...if music means so much to you, open your mind and embrace newer things.

• Like 3

I love Rush. I'm proud of the boys for everything they've done. So many shows sold out, so many great albums. They've influenced so many great artists, and they've influenced me. I am sad that they'll be gone, but above all else I am thankful. But that doesn't mean I'm happy they've never been to my continent on any tours (I live in Australia). I hate that. But, the fact of the matter is I can still get all the live albums that they release anyway, and I guess that, even though it's not the same as seeing the boys live, is enough. The live music scene will lose a true legend at the conclusion of the R40 Tour, and I will be sad, though. I mourn their loss more than I do the fact that I never had the chance to see them myself.

But to quote Segue Myles, it isn't worth their pain for my enjoyment. Neil and Alex have to play in a lot of pain this tour that I'm surprised they can still play some of the songs they've put together for this setlist, and it's admirable, remarkable, honourable, but unnecessary. Rush should play for themselves, not to prove anything or to feel like it's something they owe us. If anything, we owe them. We owe them for the memories we have of the band, some of which are preserved in the albums, some of which are merely pictures within our minds these days, but we owe them for it all.

Goodbye to Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart and thanks for the ride. Though I joined the party late. I'm so glad I did. To quote the title of the fifth Studio album, this truly will be A Farewell To Kings.

Edited by WavesandWindows
  • Like 4

I love Rush. I'm proud of the boys for everything they've done. So many shows sold out, so many great albums. They've influenced so many great artists, and they've influenced me. I am sad that they'll be gone, but above all else I am thankful. But that doesn't mean I'm happy they've never been to my continent on any tours (I live in Australia). I hate that. But, the fact of the matter is I can still get all the live albums that they release anyway, and I guess that, even though it's not the same as seeing the boys live, is enough. The live music scene will lose a true legend at the conclusion of the R40 Tour, and I will be sad, though. I mourn their loss more than I do the fact that I never had the chance to see them myself.

But to quote Segue Myles, it isn't worth their pain for my enjoyment. Neil and Alex have to play in a lot of pain this tour that I'm surprised they can still play some of the songs they've put together for this setlist, and it's admirable, remarkable, honourable, but unnecessary. Rush should play for themselves, not to prove anything or to feel like it's something they owe us. If anything, we owe them. We owe them for the memories we have of the band, some of which are preserved in the albums, some of which are merely pictures within our minds these days, but we owe them for it all.

Goodbye to Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart and thanks for the ride. Though I joined the party late. I'm so glad I did. To quote the title of the fifth Studio album, this truly will be A Farewell To Kings.

My applauses

Dude...this is the most shallow thing I have yet to come across. Depression gets my sympathy, but this scenario makes me wonder if you have any friends...if music means so much to you, open your mind and embrace newer things.

He may rather just wallow in self-pity than do that.

• Like 1

Quite possibly the most f***ed up post I have ever had the misfortune to read and you are clearly the most shallow and pitiful individual to ever grace this site.

Suicide and depression are obviously not something to joke about or to take lightly, I get that. Appearing to be flippant, nasty or bullying towards someone who expresses their experience of depression and worse, suicidal feelings on the face of it make me look a compassionless monster but you are such a shallow and precious individual that one has to wonder if this crap just rolls of your tongue ad lib and you are yet another sorry individual who treats social media as an opportunity to gather pity and sympathy just to be the centre of attention.

Rather than being depressed about the passage of time's affect on the fortunes of some pop bands and the longevity of their careers, how about you go and do something useful and positive with your life like a self-help group for people with zero self- respect?

Thank you, Tony.

• Like 4

Very much this.

Just want to clarify somthing, im not saying its unfair they are ending their career, either they aint coming to my country. Of course i agree that if they feel pain they should stop, for their best. What im sayin is that is sad that one of tha few good bands left, its impossible to say goodbye. Just seems some ppl missunderstood
  • Like 2

Just want to clarify somthing, im not saying its unfair they are ending their career, either they aint coming to my country. Of course i agree that if they feel pain they should stop, for their best. What im sayin is that is sad that one of tha few good bands left, its impossible to say goodbye. Just seems some ppl missunderstood

Definitely a one-of-a-kind band. It's been fun over the last many years waiting to see what they'll do next . . . maybe there will be a next. Creators gotta create!

I could try and talk to my real life friends about this, but I honestly think none of them would understand unless they're classic rock fans and/or suffer from depression myself....depression is a horrible mental disorder and it really brings out the ugly in me....

The reason why the thought of arena rock dying depresses me to the point of having thoughts of killing myself is this. I love going to concerts, I love going out to see an act I truly love and there is nothing more exhilarating (well besides roller coasters and sex) than a rock n roll concert. It's not the same when it comes to free concerts and bars. A stadium rock concert is just so....magical to me. Arena rock is beginning to die, pretty soon it'll be non existent.

I would not feel this way however, if I was older, say 50 instead of 20. The fact that I "still have my whole life ahead of me" is what's really getting to me....I don't want to live a boring, unexciting and musically deprived rest of my life. And it's not like I can do anything about it, I can't wave a magic wand and make the guys in Rush 25 years old again.

Hey...did you draw that dragon in your signature? ¡Es una maravilla!

I could try and talk to my real life friends about this, but I honestly think none of them would understand unless they're classic rock fans and/or suffer from depression myself....depression is a horrible mental disorder and it really brings out the ugly in me....

The reason why the thought of arena rock dying depresses me to the point of having thoughts of killing myself is this. I love going to concerts, I love going out to see an act I truly love and there is nothing more exhilarating (well besides roller coasters and sex) than a rock n roll concert. It's not the same when it comes to free concerts and bars. A stadium rock concert is just so....magical to me. Arena rock is beginning to die, pretty soon it'll be non existent.

I would not feel this way however, if I was older, say 50 instead of 20. The fact that I "still have my whole life ahead of me" is what's really getting to me....I don't want to live a boring, unexciting and musically deprived rest of my life. And it's not like I can do anything about it, I can't wave a magic wand and make the guys in Rush 25 years old again.

Wait...u r...20?

Whoah...

(But seriously dude, considering depression, if you are this young a lot of it may just be hormones making it worse)

I've been suffering from depression since I was a kid, but in the 70s and 80s, it wasn't really taken to seriously by most doctors and guys were just supposed to suck it up, I guess. The past ten years I've been properly medicated and life has been good, but i wonder how much I missed by being messed up for decades and how my life could have been better. But, music and live music always kept me going and made me happy and I consumed a metric ton of it, so in a way I get you. Not the suicide thing, but the wondering and sadness about what the future brings without live music. I've tried seeing some newer bands and some are damn good, but they are very few and far between. It's rather sad and bleak for the future of me and my walker at concerts

fraroc, hang in there. I am extremely sad Rush is hanging it up as a touring band, but based on their comments recently, I hold out hope they will record again, play a residency, release archived recordings and videos. Hope is free until the band says they are done, which they have not said.

Regarding classic rock, I think back to the late 80s, when the who were doing their second farewell tour, and many classic rock bands were talking about hanging it up. True they were much younger then, but i was not a fan of many of the then popular 80s U2, Cure modern rock of that era, when I was a similar age. It was depressing.

BUT, within a few years,out of seemingly nowhere

pearl jam

tool

soundgarden

rage against the machine

radiohead

Alice n chains

and on and on

this could happen again...

to quote the great Herm Edward's line,

"that's why we play the game."

Edited by Gabrielgil513

I'm quite sad as well, but have seen them many times and love the fact that I have followed and been moved by the best band in the world for the last 35+ years.

I feel that my 17 yr. old son is lucky too since this will be his 5th show for him.

Man, I am 14. Imagine me, if you are depressed being 25...

I was a bit sad initially when I realised this is probably the last tour ever and they won't be hitting Europe, but I I got over it. More than anything, I'm just miffed at myself for not getting into Rush earlier than 2004! :P

I got my CDs and concert memories from the only show I attended, so I'm still living and breathing Rush and will continue to do so :)

If Geddy gets his way and Alex and Neil are healthy enough to tour the U.K., then that's a massive bonus. ;)

I've been suffering from depression since I was a kid, but in the 70s and 80s, it wasn't really taken to seriously by most doctors and guys were just supposed to suck it up, I guess. The past ten years I've been properly medicated and life has been good, but i wonder how much I missed by being messed up for decades and how my life could have been better. But, music and live music always kept me going and made me happy and I consumed a metric ton of it, so in a way I get you. Not the suicide thing, but the wondering and sadness about what the future brings without live music. I've tried seeing some newer bands and some are damn good, but they are very few and far between. It's rather sad and bleak for the future of me and my walker at concerts

Cover bands give me the fix I need, and save me a ton of cash.
  • Like 1

Cover bands give me the fix I need, and save me a ton of cash.

Still, I prefer to win the prize than a picture of it. (And I bet they ain't coming down here anyway!)

The trick is to find another arena level artists to enjoy so you can continue to revel in that arena rock thrill.

Arena rock is not going to die off before you are 50, rest assured (unless the world itself ends, in which case that's the least of your problems).

You'll have to find some artists who fill arenas that also play music you can dig. Of which, there are MANY.

Just gotta try some out, man.