So, Just how bad is smoking dope for your memory?? (Spoiler)

clem

I dont remember the last time i smoked. I may have gotten high and therefore forgot a lot of stuff. I also may have laughed. I definitely coughed. It felt good at first but after a while i wanted it to go away. A lot of stuff i dont remember like um. Uh. Ummm. What was I talking about? Lofl.

How old are you Clem?

I asked because it might be easy for you now to recall everything, but these men are over sixty. Immediate recollection of past events begins to get harder as time goes on. Even Geddy has had to use a teleprompter for lyrics for a while now.

I DEFINITELY understanding using a teleprompter. Remembering words to songs is quite different (I think) then remembering whether or not you've ever PLAYED a song.

You might be right, though. In about 15 years when I'm 63, I'll check in with you and we can take a "memory" quiz. :)

Clem

• Like 1

Why do we think dope is the cause?

It sounded like a troll post to me which is why I didn't initially respond. I don't think anyone believes drug use caused memory loss here except maybe the OP'er.

I honestly DON'T KNOW. I'm curious. This is what I've heard from some individuals. As I've said, I've never done the stuff.

I guess I have a hard time understanding how they couldn't remember. Yes, I get that they've done thousands of shows, but if I can remember the setlist from 35 years ago after seeing the concert ONCE, I would think they would be able to remember since they probably played about 100 shows on that tour.

I'm really not trying to be ugly nor crass, it just baffles me. Truly am sorry if I offended anyone.

Clem

Have you also heard that time sometimes causes people to forget or old age?

• Like 1

How old are you Clem?

I asked because it might be easy for you now to recall everything, but these men are over sixty. Immediate recollection of past events begins to get harder as time goes on. Even Geddy has had to use a teleprompter for lyrics for a while now.

I DEFINITELY understanding using a teleprompter. Remembering words to songs is quite different (I think) then remembering whether or not you've ever PLAYED a song.

You might be right, though. In about 15 years when I'm 63, I'll check in with you and we can take a "memory" quiz. :)

Clem

We won't have to worry. By that time we won't even remember we ever had a thread like this. :laughing guy:

• Like 1

How old are you Clem?

I think things really start going downhill after 50. You can feel pretty young up until that point, then things start sliding. I've seen that with so many people.

How old are you Clem?

I think things really start going downhill after 50. You can feel pretty young up until that point, then things start sliding. I've seen that with so many people.

You are right. That is when my memory started going. Someone said it was the effect of the changes and that it would come back, but it never did come back the way it once was.

But sixty is when the aches and pains started increasing.

Edited by Lorraine

How old are you Clem?

You are right. That is when my memory started going. Someone said it was the effect of the changes and that it would come back, but it never did come back the way it once was.

But sixty is when the aches and pains started increasing.

Oh gad, I'm a heap of doo doo then.

• Like 1

Not reading this whole thing, but isn't just slightly possible that Geddy simply misspoke here? Does he keep saying it in every show? Or is it just in the first show?

Come on, people!

• Like 3

Not reading this whole thing, but isn't just slightly possible that Geddy simply misspoke here? Does he keep saying it in every show? Or is it just in the first show?

Come on, people!

Screw you and your logical conclusion. He's got long term memory loss because he used to smoke weed 35 years ago. I think that's when he quit. I forget

Come on, people!

DSC, he said it clearly, that it was the first time JL has ever been played, apologized for the misstatement the next show, and has made a joke about it regularly since. ("Evidently we have played this one a looooong time ago").

I don't see it as a big deal or pot related. Memories start to fade later on in life unfortunately. I used to remember every little thing (except my anniversary ;) ).Now it's much easier to forget the things I used to remember all the time.

• Like 2

Come on, people!

Now it's much easier to forget the things I used to remember all the time.

'Cause you're high all the time
  • Like 1

Come on, people!

Now it's much easier to forget the things I used to remember all the time.

'Cause you're high all the time

A long time ago in a universe far far away ;)

• Like 1

Gosh, I would say that happens at 40. At least, it did for my world's people. :/

Things take a drastic turn about then. Makes sense I guess. Biologically, we're still, evolutionarily speaking, only hard wired for 35-40 years. Anything beyond that is usually thanks to modern medicine, the padding of western society, or luck.

Edited by Bard

How old are you Clem?

Gosh, I would say that happens at 40. At least, it did for my world's people. :/

Things take a drastic turn about then. Makes sense I guess. Biologically, we're still, evolutionarily speaking, only hard wired for 35-40 years. Anything beyond that is usually thanks to modern medicine or luck.

I'm feeling pretty good. Med free

I believe Geddy's small blunder was an honest mistake brought on by several factors....excitement, speaking in front of thousands of people, being over 60 yrs old and losing a few brains cells in both his youth and in the dressing room prior to the show.

How old are you Clem?

Things take a drastic turn about then. Makes sense I guess. Biologically, we're still, evolutionarily speaking, only hard wired for 35-40 years. Anything beyond that is usually thanks to modern medicine or luck.

I'm feeling pretty good. Med free

You're one of the fortunate ones. :)

• Like 1

Smoking pot doesn't harm your memory. That's just ridiculous.

I think Geddy is playing a little dumb on this tour to emphasize how tired they are after 40 years. When he introduced "How It Is" in Austin, he said he thought it was from Vapor Trails, but wasn't sure. Then he said "Hello, Houston" in Dallas. I can understand him not remembering playing JL, but surely he'd remember that it's on ESL. Therefore, its been played.

And another thing. Smoking pot doesn't harm your memory. That's just ridiculous.

And one last thing. Uh..........

Never mind. Forgot what I was saying.

Smoking pot doesn't harm your memory. That's just ridiculous.

I think Geddy is playing a little dumb on this tour to emphasize how tired they are after 40 years. When he introduced "How It Is" in Austin, he said he thought it was from Vapor Trails, but wasn't sure. Then he said "Hello, Houston" in Dallas. I can understand him not remembering playing JL, but surely he'd remember that it's on ESL. Therefore, its been played.

And another thing. Smoking pot doesn't harm your memory. That's just ridiculous.

And one last thing. Uh..........

Never mind. Forgot what I was saying.

I dont know but i think you said it twice.

Things take a drastic turn about then. Makes sense I guess. Biologically, we're still, evolutionarily speaking, only hard wired for 35-40 years. Anything beyond that is usually thanks to modern medicine, the padding of western society, or luck.

There was a difference around 40 but nothing like the change at 50. People start to look older once that decade kicks in. A lot of people in their 40's still look pretty young and some can pass for 30's with no problem. Things that used to be physical nuisances become really noticeable too.