The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

I replayed Scenes and was stunned by its richness. Had forgotten how great they are when they are on the ball.

Lost sight of that because I listened to too much of their mediocre stuff.

• Like 1

I replayed Scenes and was stunned by its richness. Had forgotten how great they are when they are on the ball.

i've often said that when they are "on" there's few bands in that genre better.

but on a bad day they're awful.

Mick

Mick

Scenes is still not close to matching Opeth or Mastodon. But they currently rank third on my list of prog metal bands. And Scenes is easily top ten prog metal album material.

• Like 1

Mick

Scenes is still not close to matching Opeth or Mastodon. But they currently rank third on my list of prog metal bands. And Scenes is easily top ten prog metal album material.

Can you recommend a good Opeth album for a person who's much more melody / clean vocal oriented? (AKA me) :D

Mick

Can you recommend a good Opeth album for a person who's much more melody / clean vocal oriented? (AKA me) :D

Watershed. Pale Communion. Damnation.

• Like 1

Mick

After referencing rateyourmusic, Damnation it is. After that sinks in I'll listen to Watershed and then probably just go all throughout their discography, hopefully adapted to their style by that point.

• Like 1

Mick

After referencing rateyourmusic, Damnation it is. After that sinks in I'll listen to Watershed and then probably just go all throughout their discography, hopefully adapted to their style by that point.

Sorry Watershed has harsh vocals.

But.

The music is more prog, more accessible. It's highly recommended, and not as hard as earlier works.

Well Watershed is a good album that has a bit of both harsh and clean songs. A nice balance

Yeah! I often forget it has harsh vocals as I was always most drawn to the more melodic side.

I think it's Opeth's most overlooked album.

Well Watershed is a good album that has a bit of both harsh and clean songs. A nice balance

as far as the harsh vs clean goes, I'm only concerned with vocals

Try Heritage before Watershed:

My order for you would be:

1. Damnation

2. Pale Communion

3. Heritage

4. Watershed (it's worth trying, it's beautiful)

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

When this song was first released, I remember saying that if it was any indication of the rest of the album then it'd be one of Dream Theater's best.

And this was before knowing it would be a double album rock opera -- you know how high my expectations got hearing that?

:(

I need to check out more stuff from Oceans Of Slumber.

Debut album Winter is stunning.

They are without a doubt the most exciting new metal band around at the moment, I was gutted I discovered them about a day after they came to London!

When this song was first released, I remember saying that if it was any indication of the rest of the album then it'd be one of Dream Theater's best.

And this was before knowing it would be a double album rock opera -- you know how high my expectations got hearing that?

I know. I was seriously pumped for this.

I truly didn't see the disaster that was about to arrive.

But never mind. Dream Theater just released their worst album, IMHO, but that doesn't change the quality of what came before.

Which varies greatly, but the highs are HIGH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fae4FQ4McSY

I know. I was seriously pumped for this.

I truly didn't see the disaster that was about to arrive.

But never mind. Dream Theater just released their worst album, IMHO, but that doesn't change the quality of what came before.

Which varies greatly, but the highs are HIGH!

On the bright side, they'll surely learn from this mistake.

I need to check out more stuff from Oceans Of Slumber.

Debut album Winter is stunning.

They are without a doubt the most exciting new metal band around at the moment, I was gutted I discovered them about a day after they came to London!

It's actually not their first album: there's Aetherial, from 2013, and an EP called Blue from 2015.

I'm listening to Aetherial right now and it sounds very different from Winter, however.

Edited by Day of Light

I think DISASTER is still a bit harsh for TA.

And Systematic Chaos gets my vote for worst DT recored.

but TA is down there.

Mick

I was debating myself which of the two I considered the worst

TA has moments i love.

Dystopian Overture

Gift of music

Three Days

Losing Faythe

a Savior in the Square

A Life Left Behind'

Moment of Betrayal

Our New World

SC has 1 moment in The Ministry of Lost Souls

So SC is far FAR Worse, IMHO

Mick

My main problem with TA is that it's boring. I wish they'd gotten rid of the unimaginative orchestra and choir wankery because then maybe the band would've realized how little instrumental substance it actually has.

Good moments for sure, but they could be better.

Edited by Day of Light
  • Like 1