The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

HIM in all their cheesy goth-romantic glory:

I used to go to school with that hair, makeup, EVERYTHING! I pulled it off, actually.

I love this band!

(And before everyone says this song is about suicide, this song was actually based on Romeo and Juliet and no sinister messages were intended).

I'm playing Razorblade Romance now.

what a beautifully crafted album.

I don't care that metal fans shun this band. Ville has more heart and emotion then most metal bands put together.

So Join us in death, lol

Mick

I'm playing Razorblade Romance now.

what a beautifully crafted album.

I don't care that metal fans shun this band. Ville has more heart and emotion then most metal bands put together.

So Join us in death, lol

Mick

Lol that sounds so dark haha

But yeah it is! Actually in the UK the metal press adored HIM, and they have a huge fanbase.

The hype has died down a lot in the last few years but still

• Like 1

Odd but ten years ago my four favourite bands were LC, WT, NW and HIM.

For about six years I only enjoyed LC.

Now I am back into my teens haha and these four are bands for life!

• Like 1

Mick: Leaves Eyes

Try these:

Elegy EP

Vinland Saga

Legend Land EP

It's amazing how the ancient Viking culture has fascinated so many, isn't it? Especially in metal, where there are a number of bands who dedicate their songs to nothing but that. We've also got the great Vikings tv show. Weren't you watching that at one point?

Vikings is good...i got bored of it.

And yes, especially in Scandinavia, viking metal is adored. I actually think thematically that era lends itself well to metal

You should give Vikings another chance. The first half of season four just finished up last week and it was really good. Some of the best battle scenes they've ever done.

You owe it to the metal fan in you to watch the show ;)

Mick: Leaves Eyes

Try these:

Elegy EP

Vinland Saga

Legend Land EP

It's amazing how the ancient Viking culture has fascinated so many, isn't it? Especially in metal, where there are a number of bands who dedicate their songs to nothing but that. We've also got the great Vikings tv show. Weren't you watching that at one point?

Vikings is good...i got bored of it.

And yes, especially in Scandinavia, viking metal is adored. I actually think thematically that era lends itself well to metal

You should give Vikings another chance. The first half of season four just finished up last week and it was really good. Some of the best battle scenes they've ever done.

You owe it to the metal fan in you to watch the show ;)

It would do me some good to stop feeding the pop fan in me...

I know many will think me crazy but Nightwish's The Greatest Show On Earth is my all time favourite side long epic and nothing can shift it.

It might be recent but it doesn't change the fact that it blew me away the first time and has NEVER failed to do so since. Whatever my mood.

It speaks to me, seriously nothing else comes close and seeing it performed live in its entirety has done nothing to change that. It only intensified my love.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful is creeping dangerously close to being my favourite album ever. I have hardly kept my love for it quiet around here, but seriously it is far and away the most intimately moving album I have ever "experienced".

• Like 1

I know many will think me crazy but Nightwish's The Greatest Show On Earth is my all time favourite side long epic and nothing can shift it.

It might be recent but it doesn't change the fact that it blew me away the first time and has NEVER failed to do so since. Whatever my mood.

It speaks to me, seriously nothing else comes close and seeing it performed live in its entirety has done nothing to change that. It only intensified my love.

Endless Forms Most Beautiful is creeping dangerously close to being my favourite album ever. I have hardly kept my love for it quiet around here, but seriously it is far and away the most intimately moving album I have ever "experienced".

it's uh.er.......my least fav track on the album......i was bored TBH

:outtahere:

Mick

Mick

Totally acceptable.

It's Tales From Topographic Oceans round 2 for us! Haha

• Like 1

Mick

Totally acceptable.

i can totally see why one would love it.

but i given it my own new title.

Interesting Fragments (Or SHUT UP DAWKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Mick

Totally acceptable.

Mick

Dawkins doesn't bother me, oddly enough. For me the "science" works with the theme and the lyrics, and the album is perfectly framed by his contributions. I love the entire song, the nature sounds, the We Were Here section takes my breath away every time.

It is perfectly executed.

Tuomas Holopainen kicked Springsteen off his perch as my favourite songwriter ever with this album. He was always second to Springsteen, but this album cemented him at number one.

This album was a bit of a life changing moment for me last year. One of those albums that really left a huge impact on me in a way only a few records ever have.

I know i said i i'd ease up on segue with Zappa. but seeing as he tolerated Zoot Allures. which yes is a step in the right Direction, lol

i was trying to think of other "easier" zappa albums for him.

i cam up with.

Apostrophe

Over-nite Sensation

Hot Rats (if you want great instrumental work)

One Size Fits all

Zappa in NY

That's where i'd tread for now.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

I want to recommend you something outside of your comfort zone:

Funeral For A Friend- Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation

Agnes- Veritas (totally is your thing)

Taking Back Sunday- Louder Now

And I try another Zappa

And I try another Zappa

OK........... I LOVE doing this, lol

fraroc i ain't, lol

Mick

And I try another Zappa

OK........... I LOVE doing this, lol

fraroc i ain't, lol

Mick

Louder Now is one of the hookiest albums I have ever heard.

Veritas is my favourite pop album of the last ten years.

FFAF are screamo with ENORMOUS hooks and riveting musicianship.

• Like 1

ENORMOUS Is major pop punk which i love.

Green day

Good Charlotte

Jimmy Eat World.

Mick

Green Day I know well and no, just no.

The other two: GC have great songs. JEW was a life changing band for me.

Funeral For A Friend were on the cusp of superstardom but they abruptly changed their sound and fell off he rock media rader.

Louder Now is essentially pop punk. I prefer it to Bleed American (it's emo but HAPPY EMO).

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Green day

Good Charlotte

Jimmy Eat World.

Mick

Funeral For A Friend were on the cusp of superstardom but they abruptly changed their sound and fell off he rock media rader.

Louder Now is essentially pop punk. I prefer it to Bleed American (it's emo but HAPPY EMO).

I know you don't GD, lol. i was just saying they have made similar music in the past.

No harsh vocals though.

Mick

• Like 1

Green day

Good Charlotte

Jimmy Eat World.

Mick

I know you don't GD, lol. i was just saying they have made similar music in the past.

No harsh vocals though.

Mick

Oh are you playing any of what I recommended then?

I don't mind Green Day but they are nothing remotely special to my ears. Seen them live and that was fun but didn't change me at all.

• Like 1

Green day

Good Charlotte

Jimmy Eat World.

Mick

No harsh vocals though.

Mick

I don't mind Green Day but they are nothing remotely special to my ears. Seen them live and that was fun but didn't change me at all.

'i'm playing Funeral for a friend. i love it. sugary hooks and great musicianship.

Mick

Mick

Totally acceptable.

Mick

If the full length version is too much for you, listen to the song the way the band plays it live. Fast forward to the soft part right before the five minute mark of the song where the first narration is. Then listen to it all the way up until the "we were here" part ends and there you go. It gets rid of most of the narration and you get to hear the meat of the song.

• Like 1

Green day

Good Charlotte

Jimmy Eat World.

Mick

No harsh vocals though.

Mick

'i'm playing Funeral for a friend. i love it. sugary hooks and great musicianship.

Mick

Yay! Hours is the next album. My favourite as well! (And no screaming but for one song...but it's ace!).

• Like 1

Mick

Totally acceptable.

Mick

If the full length version is too much for you, listen to the song the way the band plays it live. Fast forward to the soft part right before the five minute mark of the song where the first narration is. Then listen to it all the way up until the "we were here" part ends and there you go. It gets rid of most of the narration and you get to hear the meat of the song.

Cutting this song up is like blasphemy to my ears!

But I was spoiled. I saw the whole damn thing played with both the kitchen sink and Richard Dawkins.