The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

My only complaint about King Of Kings is the song Edge Of Steel features Simone Simons.

I do not like her voice, and I don't know why they used her when Liv Kristine was more than capable of handling the vocal duties herself.

You could say the same thing about Within Temptation bringing Tara to guest on Paradise. Sharon could have easily done it herself and Tarja is way past her point relevancy for it to be a cool thing to do. Like Day of Light said, they're friends and decided it would be cool to colaborate on something.

I agree. But the difference for me is that Tarja and Sharon do not have the same voice. I can really tell the difference between the two and it works beautifully.

Simone and Liv are not a million miles apart. Simone adds nothing to the song that Liv couldn't have added. The effect is odd. Had Leaves Eyes chosen someone with a more markedly different style, I would have found it easier to cope with.

Simone just sounds...pointless.

Boy PL lost fans must have hated the electronic period. Concidering if you really liked where they started, lol

Mick

PL suffered a backlash from metal fans.

And shockingly, a backlash from the mainstream for betraying their roots.

It sucked to be them!

• Like 1

I am playing Believe In Nothing.

The band hate this album. It wasn't released how they wanted it, the label really pressured them to be more mainstream.

But I love it! It is in my top three!

• Like 1

Boy PL lost fans must have hated the electronic period. Concidering if you really liked where they started, lol

Mick

It sucked to be them!

Music fans suck. when you can't do what your heart is telling you without punishment.

Mck

• Like 1

Mick

It sucked to be them!

Music fans suck. when you can't do what your heart is telling you without punishment.

Mck

To be fair, they didn't listen.

One Second was not loved.

Then came Host.

They really didn't care what anyone thought!

And in many ways, I think they were a great influence on gothic rock. How many bands influenced by them took similar risks for the sake of keeping things interesting?

Fans can slate Shallow Life as much as they like, but Cri still supports the album and feels it is grossly misunderstood.

Fans forget that bands like more music than just the style they started out with! And you can really tell PL love electronica. It wasn't even trendy at the time they released Host! It was very early nineties style Depeche Mode.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

it'd be heard for me to rank them all together cause they're so different.

so i'll do era's

Electronic Era

1. Believe in Nothing

2. Host

3. 1 second

4. Symbol of Life

Harder Metal trilogy.

1. Requiem

2. Tragic Idol

3. Faith Divides us............

the Plauge Within

I could leave the rest

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

it'd be heard for me to rank them all together cause they're so different.

so i'll do era's

Electronic Era

1. Believe in Nothing

2. Host

3. 1 second

4. Symbol of Life

Harder Metal trilogy.

1. Requiem

2. Tragic Idol

3. Faith Divides us............

the Plauge Within

I could leave the rest

Mick

dude you forgot the self titled!

Draconian Times- 7/10

One Second- 8/10

Host- 8/10

Believe In Nothing 9/10

Symbol Of Life- 8/10

Paradise Lost- 7/10

In Requiem- 10/10

Faith Divides Us, Death Unites Us- 10/10

Tragic Idol- 10/10

The Plague Within- 5/10

So. I decided to Revisit the Beach Boys. Cause i was Bored.

While i will never count myself as a fan. I really do appreciate those harmonies. and apprciate Brian wlson as a genius.

that works against him at points too though. he was so into the music in his head.......that i want to enjoy it but while i see his passion.......i can't relate.

Pet sounds still doesn't work. but i see the influence in it.

Those early aalbums to lightweight for me.

post Pet sounds........even weirder, lol

what an strange path this band had.

Not to intentionally change the subject (but I suppose I am), but adding an odd-shaped brick or two to the 'strange path'...

Forty-five years ago today, 27th April 1971, The Beach Boys made a guest appearance onstage at a Grateful Dead show at the Fillmore East, in NYC...the GD provided the music for the Beach Boys tunes Barbara Ann and Help Me Rhonda (plus maybe one or two more that I can't remember at the moment)...and they did a few cover tunes together- the classic old rock and roll chestnut 'Riot in Cell Block #9', and Merle Haggard's hit Okie From Muskogee.

Strange but true!

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

While i will never count myself as a fan. I really do appreciate those harmonies. and apprciate Brian wlson as a genius.

that works against him at points too though. he was so into the music in his head.......that i want to enjoy it but while i see his passion.......i can't relate.

Not to intentionally change the subject (but I suppose I am), but adding an odd-shaped brick or two to the 'strange path'...

Forty-five years ago today, 27th April 1971, Te Beach Boys made a guest appearance onstage at a Grateful Dead show at the Fillmore East, in NYC...the GD provided the music for the Beach Boys tunes Barbara Ann and Help Me Rhonda (plus maybe one or two more that I can't remember at the moment)...and they did a few cover tunes together- the classic old rock and roll chestnut 'Riot in Cell Block #9', and Merle Haggard's hit Okie From Muskogee.

Strange but true!

OOOOOH!

Forty-five years ago today, 27th April 1971, Te Beach Boys made a guest appearance onstage at a Grateful Dead show at the Fillmore East, in NYC...the GD provided the music for the Beach Boys tunes Barbara Ann and Help Me Rhonda (plus maybe one or two more that I can't remember at the moment)...and they did a few cover tunes together- the classic old rock and roll chestnut 'Riot in Cell Block #9', and Merle Haggard's hit Okie From Muskogee.

Strange but true!

OOOOOH!

:P

I'm not making that up, I swear.

• Like 1

Strange but true!

OOOOOH!

:P

I'm not making that up, I swear.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/-X1fl2kc3mM/maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Believe In Nothing is not a million miles away from being a HIM album, and I hear bits of Lacuna Coil everywhere!

Looks like I was wrong about Barbara Ann. Oops. Replace that with both Good Vibrations and I Get Around (see in the comments, under the complete set list). The evidence is all there, in the second half of the second set:

http://www.setlists.net/?show_id=0711

I have a soundboard recording of the whole show.

On analog cassette! :codger:

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

That is strange about the Beach boys, lol

They are a strange band. i know that's odd to say about them..........but their Discography is really off the wallls weird, lol

Don't enjoy them but respect them.

Mick

They are a strange band. i know that's odd to say about them..........but their Discography is really off the wallls weird, lol

Mick

I love the weird. An album called Surfs Up has this as its front cover:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_m0kNiX_Fq_0/TMeeZTZ23fI/AAAAAAAAAFI/nOmsr5iPZiU/s1600/beachboys~~_surfsupja_101b.jpg

• Like 1

Mick

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_m0kNiX_Fq_0/TMeeZTZ23fI/AAAAAAAAAFI/nOmsr5iPZiU/s1600/beachboys~~_surfsupja_101b.jpg

I played that.

Long promised Road was indeed beautiful

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

I played that.

Long promised Road was indeed beautiful

Mick

I also love the album Wild Honey.

They were amazing. Hit and miss for sure, but often the misses are as fascinating as the hits.

Much like ABBA, only they never stepped a foot wrong.

I've never heard that album, but I recognize the cover art. It's really fascinating!

It is often regarded as their second best album. I am not sure, I love Wild Honey (odd but yeah)

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/files/img/as/beach-boys-wild-honey.jpg

If you want to scare your friends play Smiley Smile, lol

they will ask you to seek help, lol

Mick

I love that album!

• Like 1

If you want to scare your friends play Smiley Smile, lol

they will ask you to seek help, lol

Mick

I love that album!

A-hhem......i do too.'

Mike love likes to pretend that and pet Sounds never happened.

have you heard interviews with this tool.

extremely bitter man.

Mick

• Like 1