Need help with a decision...

Nate1647

So my wife and I already have tickets to Portland. It's a basketball arena, and our seats are on the side just past midcourt (away from the stage). I'm fine with those seats, even though I've been treated to floor seats (rows 16 and 18) the last two tours.

HOWEVER. I just found a pair of 4th row(!!!!!!!) tickets for just over 1000 total. I could sell our current tickets and move some money around and snag these within the week, but money would be tight for the next few months. Should I splurge or not?!?!?!

(this is probably the WORST place to ask this question lol)

Keep your seats bring opera glasses to the show and occasionally let the video screen help.
  • Like 2

a show from the 4th row would be spectacular--in the past when I was better off financially we sat on the 2nd row and on the 4th row. Such a different experience than sitting back aways, well worth the extra dough. Will your spouse be upset with the extra cost?

I however agree that by waiting you might be able to get similar/better seats for less--but it's a risk and if you wait to long then you might not be able to sell your current tickets.

I have 14th row on the floor seats now and I am thinking about upgrading if the right deal comes along.

hope that helps.

If you have sat close before, it's not worth it.

Keep your seats

Edited by Disembodied Spirit

Keep the seats you have. There's no need to dig yourself into a financial hole to get better seats if you've already got good seats anyways. There could be some big unexpected expenditure you may have in the coming months and spending that much on two tickets can really screw things up. I'm not wishing that any financial hardships come to you, i'm just giving you something to think about.
  • Like 1

What is the chance of better seats opening up on TM? I've never had luck with waiting before.

not great

but on stubhub or flashseats there is a good chance of getting a good deal right before the show.

also if you have a local news website that offers classified sometimes right before the show you can score a great deal. Here is Utah it is ksl.com

Sitting in the first few rows makes for a completely different (and much, MUCH better) show. From your viewpoint the band is only playing to a hundred people, and they can and do make eye contact with you! Oh, and you'll have a chance to catch the swag they throw out at the end of the show.

If you don't do the closer seats you will instead be sitting in your original seats thinking "We could have been down there :( "

• Like 2

You gotta go for it, upgrade and enjoy!

Things will come up in life that are unexpected and having that cash in hand may be benificial, but things will almost always work out regardless...but you will likely never have a chance again to see Rush from that close.

For the CA tour we had row 5 in Newark and row 6 in Hamilton, well worth the VIP cost. This year wasnt for lack of effort but just could not get VIP for Newark and I'm bummed out. Like you, we have decent seats but we'll miss the experience of being that close.

I would say if you are a huge rush fan and never sat u close do it, otherwise save your money.

given that you have been close before, I would sit tight. Watch ticketbastard and if something pops up that is markedly better, buy them and flip your side seats to a fellow fan. I would never jeopardize my financial situation for one show. Think long term and hope you can upgrade for face value.
  • Like 1

Close seats are a blessing and a curse - it's an amazing experience, but then you're totally ruined for anything farther way at future shows. ( ; Edited by Puppyloo
  • Like 1

Close seats are a blessing and a curse - it's an amazing experience, but then you're totally ruined for anything farther way at future shows. ( ;

This is so true.

My first instinct would be to keep the seats you have (and as others have said, if something better/cheaper opens up then go for it).

For me, part of the decision would be if your preference is to sit or stand. Being on the side, you are probably going to be in an area where most people will be sitting. Up front, you will certainly be standing. During a Rush show, I am so full of excitement that there is no way I can sit. I am like Beavis after a six pack of root beer. In the couple of Rush shows where I have been in an area where the majority of people are sitting, I have moved back as to not block anyone.

What is the chance of better seats opening up on TM? I've never had luck with waiting before.

not great

but on stubhub or flashseats there is a good chance of getting a good deal right before the show.

also if you have a local news website that offers classified sometimes right before the show you can score a great deal. Here is Utah it is ksl.com

That's bullshit. The chances are very good that good seats will open up. It's just a matter of being persistent and checking frequently. I've gotten some of the best seats I've ever sat in within a few days of a performance.

If you've already got seats you're content with, this is your best option. Best case, you end up a bit closer or more centered and don't pay above face value for the ticket (which in most markets is $150-200...not sure of the specific price for PDX). Worst case, you don't spend any additional money and sit in what is already a good seat.

• Like 1

not great

That's bullshit. The chances are very good that good seats will open up. It's just a matter of being persistent and checking frequently. I've gotten some of the best seats I've ever sat in within a few days of a performance.

If you've already got seats you're content with, this is your best option. Best case, you end up a bit closer or more centered and don't pay above face value for the ticket (which in most markets is $150-200...not sure of the specific price for PDX). Worst case, you don't spend any additional money and sit in what is already a good seat.

aggressive much? Personally I have never had much luck with that route in Utah--but if you have that's wonderful.

not great

aggressive much? Personally I have never had much luck with that route in Utah--but if you have that's wonderful.

Maybe it is the market you are in that makes a difference but for any major arena show here (SF BAY AREA) there is almost always a release of high quality seats a few days prior to or the actual day of the show.

• Like 1

Considering how far out your show still is, I wouldn't do it. Like others said, more good seats WILL open up on TM before show day. They may not be 4th row good, but still better than what you have. It does require patience and checking back often though, which is not easy. Sounds like you have decent seats as is and $1,000 is a lot of dough for one concert.

I'm still debating. I've never been close enough to have that front row interaction with them. Their music means so much to my life that with this being their final concert and all, I think it might be worth it...

I'm still debating. I've never been close enough to have that front row interaction with them. Their music means so much to my life that with this being their final concert and all, I think it might be worth it...

Do it! Dooooo iiiit!

hmmm...let's think out of the box on this. they're also playing seattle and vancouver. so probably for less that what you'd pay for the fourth row seats, you could afford a 2nd show in your area.

or let your wife have one of the crappy seats and you buy one of the fourth row seats. you know she's probably just going along for the hell of it.