18 years ago...

ALifeson85

Neil lost his family, and Rush was DONE.

5 years later, they come back, stronger than ever, with a successful album, and an even MORE successful tour.

Over the last 13 years, they have spent 2/3 of those years, on the road - to some degree or another.

Over the last 13 years, they released 3 studio albums (4, if you really want to count "Feedback"), and TONS of live albums / dvd's / blu-rays.

This year, they will embark on what is seemingly their final BIG tour.

..................................and there is STILL bitching on here, over some of the band's decision-making. :facepalm:

Just thought I'd point that out...although I'm sure many people already knew this, lol

• Like 13

I look at it this way...if the "second coming" didn't happen, I would have seen them only four times, and the last time I would have seen them would have been 1996!

I'm sure that if Al or Ged decided they were going to do solo tours, I probably would have gone within a reasonable distance, but I don't see myself bending over backwards to get there....but that would have been it for me for Rush...four times...and at THIS point over 18 years!

The next nine times to me were gravy, and this next time is a good thing! Now if they decide at this point that this really IS it, then I'm fine with it...To me it's better than getting an announcement six months ago that said "Rush decides to retire, major box set in the works" We're getting to see them, and hopefully get the tour CD and DVD, THEN the major box set NEXT year! (I know, I'm :beathorse: with that one!)

Now if they decide to add another leg to this tour, and I get to see them one more time....BONUS! But I can be happy as long as I get to my Bristow, VA show, and walk out with a smile on my face!

Edited by Jaminbenb
  • Like 4

Bitching is a part of human nature...especially when it comes to something that means so much to so many people for so many years. I haven't really complained at all about the possibility of this being the end, even though these three guys have been a huge part of my musical experience for the last 35 years. I still get chills when they first come on stage which tells me they mean a great deal to me.

If it's the end, so be it...but I have witnessed greatness live many times and can die happy knowing I loved the best band to have ever existed.

• Like 6

I simply don't see the point in blaming someone for getting old. They will always have my biggest "Thanks", like other great musicians or great sports players I love.
  • Like 4

I simply don't see the point in blaming someone for getting old. They will always have my biggest "Thanks", like other great musicians or great sports players I love.

Bingo...it's not like they're playing light cocktail jazz and they could just play it all freaking night and only need to stop occasionally for a pee break and a refill...

• Like 2

I look at it this way...if the "second coming" didn't happen, I would have seen them only four times, and the last time I would have seen them would have been 1996!

I'm sure that if Al or Ged decided they were going to do solo tours, I probably would have gone within a reasonable distance, but I don't see myself bending over backwards to get there....but that would have been it for me for Rush...four times...and at THIS point over 18 years!

The next nine times to me were gravy, and this next time is a good thing! Now if they decide at this point that this really IS it, then I'm fine with it...To me it's better than getting an announcement six months ago that said "Rush decides to retire, major box set in the works" We're getting to see them, and hopefully get the tour CD and DVD, THEN the major box set NEXT year! (I know, I'm :beathorse: with that one!)

Now if they decide to add another leg to this tour, and I get to see them one more time....BONUS! But I can be happy as long as I get to my Bristow, VA show, and walk out with a smile on my face!

Geddy would have been on Canadian Idol at some point as a judge

• Like 1

Geddy would have been on Canadian Idol at some point as a judge

Haha. Honestly I could see Alex doing such a thing. Put on his best toupeee and a shiny suit.

• Like 4

Now that's putting things into perspective. Going back 18 years, the two bands I'd pay Big Money to see: Pink Floyd and RUSH. The Pink Floyd thing wasn't going to happen and now can't. I did get to see RUSH every time they've come to Atlanta and once in Charlotte since then and back to 1981. Getting old is a drag. I can't do some of the stuff I used to and neither can RUSH. When it's over, it's over. Bummer. I can enjoy what they offer though without much trouble (i.e. standing for a long time). I'll probably bitch some about the set list some other junk but I got tickets and that's all that matters. 18 years ago, my son was 1 going on 2. This will be his 3rd RUSH experience so life is pretty doggone good.
  • Like 5

Rush have been the soundtrack of my life for a very long time, and I feel truly blessed for all the music they have given me. I haven't liked their albums "post hiatus" as much as the ones that preceded it, but when they finally call it quits, it will certainly leave a big, gaping musical hole that, most likely, will never be filled again.

Just extremely thankful for all of the amazing moments they leave etched in my memory.

Bring on R40!

:yes:

• Like 3

My wife keeps me grounded, "yeah Rush they're okay".

Lol. Mine thinks Freewill is annoying. I guess she has a point but damn.

She also had the guile to call Geddy an ok keyboard player!! She said the same thing about Billy Joel so I guess thats good company.

Now that's putting things into perspective. Going back 18 years, the two bands I'd pay Big Money to see: Pink Floyd and RUSH. The Pink Floyd thing wasn't going to happen and now can't. I did get to see RUSH every time they've come to Atlanta and once in Charlotte since then and back to 1981. Getting old is a drag. I can't do some of the stuff I used to and neither can RUSH. When it's over, it's over. Bummer. I can enjoy what they offer though without much trouble (i.e. standing for a long time). I'll probably bitch some about the set list some other junk but I got tickets and that's all that matters. 18 years ago, my son was 1 going on 2. This will be his 3rd RUSH experience so life is pretty doggone good.

kw, interesting on The Floyd. When you say Floyd cant get back together, you are referring to the passing of Richard Wright? Meaning since they are short one member, they cant tour again?

Under this logic, we would not be counting the post Roger Waters years as really Pink Floyd since they were without such an important member? I am in that camp. To me, Momentary Lapse and Division are good solo Gilmour albums, in no way comparable to Floyds epics.

I find it so interesting that Rush and their fans have such a different view than Rogerless Floyd fans, they are adamant if one is missing its not Rush (i agree with that).

So kw...and anyone else, any thoughts on Rogerless Floyd or 2/3 Rush?

That's a tough one. Then Genesis wouldn't be Genesis, Yes wouldn't be Yes . . . if you can make the argument that the heart and soul of any band is one or more of the members (Tull is Anderson, Genesis is Banks, whatever) what does that mean for the definition of a "band"? In Rush's case it would be super weird if one of them was replaced at this point.

That's a tough one. Then Genesis wouldn't be Genesis, Yes wouldn't be Yes . . . if you can make the argument that the heart and soul of any band is one or more of the members (Tull is Anderson, Genesis is Banks, whatever) what does that mean for the definition of a "band"? In Rush's case it would be super weird if one of them was replaced at this point.

That will never happen!!!!!

For Rush at this point, definitely. Ged commented during the hiatus that Rush is the three of them, period. It's interesting that Floyd's fans were so accepting of Rogerless Floyd, but not sure if Rush fans would be as gracious. Genesis was much younger, it took them a few albums, but became a much different band eventually.

It's a rare quality in the rock world that adds to the mystique of Rush.

I can't imagine Genesis without Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins. Peter Gabriel left but at least the other guys were there already. I can't imagine any of them touring and calling it "Genesis".

• Like 1

I can't imagine Genesis without Tony Banks, Mike Rutherford and Phil Collins. Peter Gabriel left but at least the other guys were there already. I can't imagine any of them touring and calling it "Genesis".

Tony and Mike had a band without Phil and Peter and they called it Genesis n

Tony and Mike had a band without Phil and Peter and they called it Genesis n

I meant touring individually. One of them touring with an entirely different band would be bizarre.

kw, interesting on The Floyd. When you say Floyd cant get back together, you are referring to the passing of Richard Wright? Meaning since they are short one member, they cant tour again?

Under this logic, we would not be counting the post Roger Waters years as really Pink Floyd since they were without such an important member? I am in that camp. To me, Momentary Lapse and Division are good solo Gilmour albums, in no way comparable to Floyds epics.

I find it so interesting that Rush and their fans have such a different view than Rogerless Floyd fans, they are adamant if one is missing its not Rush (i agree with that).

The list can go on...the Who without Moon, then Entwistle, KISS without Ace and Peter, there's only one original member in Skynyrd and so forth and so on. They carried on for better or for worse. Subject to opinion. Same with Pink Floyd. There are some who can't and won't recognize them with David Gilmour let alone without Roger Waters. The Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett had it's own life albeit a very short one. The lineup with Gilmour which lasted into the early 80's took time to get going but the work they did was phenomenal, in my opinion. When Waters left, there were certain elements to both performances but both lacked the obvious. Funny thing is that they BOTH made mountains of money off each other's performances. Rick Wright wasn't legally in the band after The Wall was released. He accepted leaving but only if he could stay on to do The Wall concerts. Waters exists leaving Gilmour and Mason as Pink Floyd. Wright was reinstated as a member of Pink Floyd for the Division Bell in 1994. The 2005 Live 8 reunion was what many Floyd fans had dreamed of for so long. To me, that is the Pink Floyd.... that I prefer most. Not saying one is or isn't, just my preferred lineup. When Rick passed away, my Pink Floyd was done forever. I'm bitter with Gilmour to a degree because Mason, Wright and Waters were all so happy to have done the Live 8 thing and were all totally ready to put it all behind them and get back on the road for what could have been... anyway. I feel that Gilmour denied Wright the thing he wanted most which was to do a tour performing as Pink Floyd with Waters for a last hurrah. He knew his time was coming and they did too. Could Jon Carin cover for Rick for a reunion of sorts? Yeah, I guess but it's never gonna be the same, ever. Not up to me though. As for RUSH?? There's really nothing to discuss as far as I'm concerned. RUSH as we know it / them, are nearing their end. There is no replacing any of them period. Their uniqueness is too... uhh... unique. I saw something recently about buying a "signature" guitar from whoever. It's manufactured exactly like whoever's guitar but YOU will NEVER make it sound like he/she does cuz... you ain't them. And never will be no matter how hard you try. Put any of the guys in RUSH in another band and you'll say... that's gotta be so and so from RUSH, no ifs ands or buts. Put someone else in RUSH and you'll say... WTF? Edited by 30kwpa

I saw something recently about buying a "signature" guitar from whoever. It's manufactured exactly like whoever's guitar but YOU will NEVER make it sound like he/she does cuz... you ain't them. And never will be no matter how hard you try. Put any of the guys in RUSH in another band and you'll say... that's gotta be so and so from RUSH, no if's ands or buts. Put someone else in RUSH and you'll say... WTF?

The saying goes that the tone is all in the fingers. I believe that very much to be so. People buy Fender Geddy Lee basses by the droves but I've yet to hear anyone that sounded just like him.

The list can go on...the Who without Moon, then Entwistle, KISS without Ace and Peter, there's only one original member in Skynyrd and so forth and so on. They carried on for better or for worse. Subject to opinion. Same with Pink Floyd. There are some who can't and won't recognize them with David Gilmour let alone without Roger Waters. The Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett had it's own life albeit a very short one. The lineup with Gilmour which lasted into the early 80's took time to get going but the work they did was phenomenal, in my opinion. When Waters left, there were certain elements to both performances but both lacked the obvious. Funny thing is that they BOTH made mountains of money off each other's performances. Rick Wright wasn't legally in the band after The Wall was released. He accepted leaving but only if he could stay on to do The Wall concerts. Waters exists leaving Gilmour and Mason as Pink Floyd. Wright was reinstated as a member of Pink Floyd for the Division Bell in 1994. The 2005 Live 8 reunion was what many Floyd fans had dreamed of for so long. To me, that is the Pink Floyd.... that I prefer most. Not saying one is or isn't, just my preferred lineup. When Rick passed away, my Pink Floyd was done forever. I'm bitter with Gilmour to a degree because Mason, Wright and Waters were all so happy to have done the Live 8 thing and were all totally ready to put it all behind them and get back on the road for what could have been... anyway. I feel that Gilmour denied Wright the thing he wanted most which was to do a tour performing as Pink Floyd with Waters for a last hurrah. He knew his time was coming and they did too. Could Jon Carin cover for Rick for a reunion of sorts? Yeah, I guess but it's never gonna be the same, ever. Not up to me though. As for RUSH?? There's really nothing to discuss as far as I'm concerned. RUSH as we know it / them, are nearing their end. There is no replacing any of them period. Their uniqueness is too... uhh... unique. I saw something recently about buying a "signature" guitar from whoever. It's manufactured exactly like whoever's guitar but YOU will NEVER make it sound like he/she does cuz... you ain't them. And never will be no matter how hard you try. Put any of the guys in RUSH in another band and you'll say... that's gotta be so and so from RUSH, no ifs ands or buts. Put someone else in RUSH and you'll say... WTF?

As far as Pink Floyd and the later incarnations, I never saw the "classic" band together. I saw the show in 1987 at JFK Stadium in Philly, and when they did Echoes, I stood there with my mouth open for that 20 minutes because I never thought I hear them play that live, ever! That was a musical bucket list item, and that show was amazing even though Roger wasn't there. The Momentary Lapse stuff was decent, but it didn't feel like Floyd, and thankfully, they pretty much kept it to the first half of the show (They only did Echoes and One of these Days in the first half from the "real" Floyd)

A few years later, I saw a Division Bell show, and wasn't really impressed.

1999, I saw Roger do a solo show and that put the 1987 show WELL into second place....the Wall show I saw in 2010 was a "stick a fork in me, I'm done" show! but I digress...certain people "can DO it" others shouldn't try.... I didn't think after seeing them in 1994 that they should have called themselves "Pink Floyd ", and the more I think about the 1987-88 band, it was more of a Dave Gilmour solo tour, but they "marketed" it as such, so what do you do... you DO have to respect Roger for just using his name, but it wasn't the marketing that "Pink Floyd" got. His 1987 tours weren't getting the crowds, that Pink Floyd was getting...But Rogers shows were much better.

Bands like Styx just shouldn't call it Styx anymore, same with Kansas...I mean come on guys...even Yes... I honestly think that a band is 99.9% it's lead singer. As far as Styx, they are only Styx when Tommy Shaw sings...when the other guy tried to do Dennis DeYoung, then it's not Styx anymore...Saw Tommy open for Rush in 1987 and the crowd was "with him" when he sang a Styx tune, but boo'd like crazy when it was a solo song! (Philly is a fun place!)

If ANYONE from Rush decided to tour, and call it "Rush" I think there will be a major uprising! But I don't think you'll see that (and if you do only as "Alex Lifeson, formerly of Rush" or "Geddy Lee, from Rush" on the bill) Neil's not doin' nuthin', I fear. (maybe sponsoring a Buddy Rich concert or something)

Bands like Styx just shouldn't call it Styx anymore, same with Kansas...I mean come on guys...even Yes... I honestly think that a band is 99.9% it's lead singer. As far as Styx, they are only Styx when Tommy Shaw sings...when the other guy tried to do Dennis DeYoung, then it's not Styx anymore..

This is too true, Queen trying to tour without Freddy is just plain sad. (Journey and Bad Company get an honorable mention as well.)

AC/DC got really lucky in finding Brian Johnson when Bon Scott died. I was only about 13 and didn't realize until a few years later there was a different singer on Back in Black then Highway to Hell.