Eternal Rushine of the Spotless Mind

Geddy's Soul Patch

Given the opportunity to undergo an Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind style procedure to remove all memories of Rush from your brain, would you do it? Knowing that you could listen to Rush with fresh ears once again.
  • Like 1

Interesting idea. The first time I heard Rush was at age 6 and it was my dad playing Lock And Key.

Given my current age now, I'd probably stumble upon the most popular one, Moving Pictures first.

I'll go ahead and say no, I'd rather not. I have a pretty good opinion of what I like and what I don't like, and my love for the band hasn't cooled one bit. Especially since I've enjoyed the last 5 studio albums.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

You'd have to leave notes for yourself so you knew to listen to them and what albums. I still probably wouldn't do it, too many great experiences and memories tied to Rush would be lost. I might consider it for a few of my favorite books though.
  • Like 1

If it weren't for the fact that they were so intertwined with my past, yes, I'd love that. I've often wondered if I wouldn't like their Dark Years more if I wasn't constantly comparing the material to their classic stuff (just can't help it, I've tried to hear the newer material as if I'd never heard their older stuff, but it won't work).

Re the movie, yes us old farts are aware of it. It's kind of an old movie, isn't it? Or was that Momento, or Being John Malkovich, or ... oh these hipster movies get so confusing. My addled old brain can't keep up with their surreal plot twists. Now, I wonder if that blue light special is still on at Dennie's?

Edited by Rutlefan

You'd have to leave notes for yourself so you knew to listen to them and what albums. I still probably wouldn't do it, too many great experiences and memories tied to Rush would be lost. I might consider it for a few of my favorite books though.

Took the words right outta my mouth!
  • Like 1

If it weren't for the fact that they were so intertwined with my past, yes, I'd love that. I've often wondered if I wouldn't like their Dark Years more if I wasn't constantly comparing the material to their classic stuff (just can't help it, I've tried to hear the newer material as if I'd never heard their older stuff, but it won't work).

Re the movie, yes us old farts are aware of it. It's kind of an old movie, isn't it? Or was that Momento, or Being John Malkovich, or ... oh these hipster movies get so confusing. My addled old brain can't keep up with their surreal plot twists. Now, I wonder if that blue light special is still on at Dennie's?

I bet lorraine and narp haven't seen em!

No because songs like Subdivisions might not feel as deep to me. I'd only be able to relate with Time Stand Still, Dog Years and other songs aboot being old and fat. Edited by JohnRogers
  • Like 2

Stopped watching movies when they added sound.

And don't EVEN get me started on color. :fury: :fury: :fury:

• Like 1

No way...to many really good memories that include Rush.

No way...to many really good memories that include Rush.

That 3rd row at Radio City Music Hall for the Signals tour will never happen again. So a big no on the question!

No because songs like Subdivisions might not feel as deep to me. I'd only be able to relate with Time Stand Still, Dog Years and other songs aboot being old and fat.

Interesting. Subdivisions didn't start to speak to me until I started getting older...probably because I looked past the synths.

• Like 1

No way would I do that. It wouldn't be the same hearing them as new now as it was back then. It's more than just the music that's involved in something like that.

No, because the experience I had with discovering Rush also led me to what currently shaped my music tastes as of now, and removing my memories of Rush would potentially include erasing some if not all memories of the other music I got into through Rush as they tied into one another.

Interesting idea, however their music really worked for a teen growing up in late 70s, early 80s. Age, timing and the band's soaring popularity...a perfect mix of time and space. Now if we had that Time Machine and Fountain of Lamneth....
  • Like 1

No because songs like Subdivisions might not feel as deep to me. I'd only be able to relate with Time Stand Still, Dog Years and other songs aboot being old and fat.

Interesting. Subdivisions didn't start to speak to me until I started getting older...probably because I looked past the synths.

Both of these 1000%