Jurors Hit Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams With $7.4 Million In "Blurred Lines" Verdict

g under p

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-blurred-lines-copyright-trial-verdict-20150310-story.html

Rightfully so, a couple years ago when I was taking my daughter to school I heard the song for the first time. I can remember saying that's an old R&B bassline but I couldnt think of it at the time. I later remembered it's from a Marvin Gaye song....this hopefully will bring changes in the music industry to pay attention to copyrights infringement.

This one was pretty obvious, what do you think?

Peace

So many times I hear what seem like specific similarities between songs. It happens so often. All the time, for all time.

What distinguishes this type of outcome? Why do some cases get settle in this way and other seem to fly by with out much incident? Are some settle out of court?

So many times I hear what seem like specific similarities between songs. It happens so often. All the time, for all time.

What distinguishes this type of outcome? Why do some cases get settle in this way and other seem to fly by with out much incident? Are some settle out of court?

This particular one was out front and center obvious. It was a plain and simple ripoff of a Marvin Gave song.

This particular one was out front and center obvious. It was a plain and simple ripoff of a Marvin Gave song.

So with something like the Sam Smith (?)/ Tom Petty similarity, they decided to settle out of court?

Where Pharrell Williams and Alan Thicke's kid just being stubborn?

Why is it so hard to give credit where credit is due?

So with something like the Sam Smith (?)/ Tom Petty similarity, they decided to settle out of court?

It's not about credit...it's about cash.

Yet Tom Petty never sued Red Hot Chili Peppers for ripping off "Mary Jane's Last Dance" in "Dani California"

Yet Tom Petty never sued Red Hot Chili Peppers for ripping off "Mary Jane's Last Dance" in "Dani California"

That's because RHCP are good while the other two are overrated. Pharrell fools gullible people and critics into believing Britney, Timberlake and Cyrus have substance and quality in their music by producing songs for them when it's still Radio Disney crap no matter what.

• Like 1

Joe Satriani sued Coldplay, and an agreement was reached outside the court (and the terms were not revealed).

Yes, and usually these agreements are made before going to a jury trial. Just avoid what a jury might or might not award and the embarrassment of these disagreements from getting out to the public.

In this case it would have far easier and cheaper to pay the cash upfront than to it go to a jury to render this monetary decision.

That's because RHCP are good while the other two are overrated. Pharrell fools gullible people and critics into believing Britney, Timberlake and Cyrus have substance and quality in their music by producing songs for them when it's still Radio Disney crap no matter what.

With my job promotion,

I don't have to listen to this sh** any more! :LOL: :D

Joe Satriani sued Coldplay, and an agreement was reached outside the court (and the terms were not revealed).

Satriani sued Coldplay? When was this? :huh:

I was under the impression that Coldplay couldn't be that virtuosic in being sued by someone by the likes of him!

I was under the impression that Coldplay couldn't be that virtuosic in being sued by someone by the likes of him!

At least they tried...

Actually, Coldplay are very good at what they do. Their sappy, whiny pop-indie always feels genuine and from the heart. The sincerity appeals to me, I would say I am a (very minor) fan. Ghost Stories is a very beautiful late night album.

At least they tried...

Actually, Coldplay are very good at what they do. Their sappy, whiny pop-indie always feels genuine and from the heart. The sincerity appeals to me, I would say I am a (very minor) fan. Ghost Stories is a very beautiful late night album.

I liked them up until VIva la Vida - which in hindsight is a lame title, but I thought it was a cool choice at the time. After that, they´ve gone too far into messianic technopop for me. I gave Ghost Stories a listen and regret it so much!!!

Then The Jayhawks could sue Petty for ripping off "Waiting for the Sun" with "Mary's Jane's Last Dance." (The two tracks even share a keyboard player: Benmont Tench.)

There is no end to this, really.

If you don't mind me asking why did you choose these two songs? BTW two beautiful songs. Also that opening guitar riff by Hendrix started almost exactly to riffs to Pearl Jams Yellow Ledbetter.

Edited by g under p

As they say, there are only so many notes. I think in cases like this, it's different than Zeppelin rippin off old blues guys, cause they did it in a cool way , with their stamp on it.

This thicke guy is just disposable garbage .

If you don't mind me asking why did you choose these two songs? BTW two beautiful songs. Also that opening guitar riff by Hendrix started almost exactly to riffs to Pearl Jams Yellow Ledbetter.

Because I think Blackmore ripped off Hendrix. The two songs sound nearly identical. And Blackmore admitted that he loved Little Wing and wished he had written it.