Worst Sounding Synthesizers on a Rush Album.

toymaker

The Big Money was the Subdivisions of the album, exciting and full of energy, fun at live shows. It is a moving hit single that takes on the paradoxical subject of The Big Money. Haters need to be hate’n somewhere else.

mystic rythyms...so dated....sounds like miami vice.

now where did I put that double breasted white sportcoat and pink tshirt?

Edited by 2112FirstStreet
  • Like 1

The worst is that bird synthesized bird sound at the 3:20 mark. Was used on a ton of 80s pop songs during the time. Rough.

Early digital synths in general are pretty nasty. One of the worst developments IMO was when producers started replacing Fender Rhodes with Yamaha DX-7s. Thank you, David Foster.

The worst single synth sound on a Rush record, IMO, is whatever Geddy uses to play "Subdivisions" on A Show of Hands. I don't know what that is but it's awful, and does great disrespect to the studio version, which contains some of the best sounding keyboards ever put to tape (Oberheim OB-X/Xas).

Otherwise, some of the brass stabs on Power Windows are pretty naff. I don't really dig the PPG era. I'm really an Oberheim guy more than anything.

• Like 1

Get out of my face.

Madrigal, they should of used a lower octave on that patch.Some songs on HYF were clunky too but in general Rush's use of synths is part of the reason I started listening to them to begin with. Geddy's decision to use Taurus Bass Pedals was genius . I love those Oberheims , Rolands , Wave PPG, and Fairlight CMI's . I understand why they have stopped experimenting with them and it makes me a little sad . But in all truth with todays technology they really dont need them anyway,all they need is a pad to trigger all the samples.Geddy is a good sport by continuing to actually play the parts but lets face it he could trigger them all from the roland bass pedals . Its like cars without computers a bygone era that will never come back again .And yes the DX7 was pure stink stuff. I can get a pretty good Oberheim sound like they used on Subdivisions on my Roland Fantom and that is as good as it will get . Because all those old boards are either 5K on ebay ( if they work) or in the junk heap . Edited by patjnev

Between the Wheels.

The beginning of the song is like nails on chalk board. I like it more now than I did, but that was my least favorite Rush song for a few years.

That's exactly it, that damn beginning. I like the song all in all.

It took being forced to listen to it live several times before I realized the song was a good one...just not that beginning.

Exactly...live it really clicked, but until then, it always struck me as torture. "Those keys..."Yes, as a matter of fact, Geddy, I do know how that rabbit feels."

That is the musical point, I suppose...

• Like 1

The worst is that bird synthesized bird sound at the 3:20 mark. Was used on a ton of 80s pop songs during the time. Rough.

The goose call!
  • Like 1

Madrigal, they should of used a lower octave on that patch.Some songs on HYF were clunky too but in general Rush's use of synths is part of the reason I started listening to them to begin with. Geddy's decision to use Taurus Bass Pedals was genius . I love those Oberheims , Rolands , Wave PPG, and Fairlight CMI's . I understand why they have stopped experimenting with them and it makes me a little sad . But in all truth with todays technology they really dont need them anyway,all they need is a pad to trigger all the samples.Geddy is a good sport by continuing to actually play the parts but lets face it he could trigger them all from the roland bass pedals . Its like cars without computers a bygone era that will never come back again .And yes the DX7 was pure stink stuff. I can get a pretty good Oberheim sound like they used on Subdivisions on my Roland Fantom and that is as good as it will get . Because all those old boards are either 5K on ebay ( if they work) or in the junk heap .

WOW! I just wandered over to Ebay out of curiosity, and can't believe how cheap you can get some of those! (and the fact that they call some of those old wrecks "vintage")

Ged started using a different Synth sound for Subdivisions on bootlegs i've heard around the power windows/HYF tour. For the solo i mean that was just Awful. and that sound was used up through like presto tour.
  • Like 1

The goose call!

Ha! yes a goose! So bad.

Edited by greg2112

The goose call!

Ha! yes a goose! So bad.

Oh for f**k's sake does anyone like good music anymore?

The goose call!

Ha! yes a goose! So bad.

If you're defending Mystic Rhythms, apparently not.

The goose call!

Ha! yes a goose! So bad.

If you're defending Mystic Rhythms, apparently not.

Mystic Rhythm's is one of Rush's best.

• Like 2

Why?

Embarrassing use of synths, lack of energy, lack of melody... it tries to do the "atmosphere" thing but it relies so much on cheesy sounds that it just makes me feel like I'm stuck in a really bad casio.

• Like 1

Why?

Embarrassing use of synths, lack of energy, lack of melody... it tries to do the "atmosphere" thing but it relies so much on cheesy sounds that it just makes me feel like I'm stuck in a really bad casio.

This... and the song goes nowhere.

Listen up Synth era Brethren....stop trying to convince non synth era fans. It's futile.

And it's OK.

But it is a lost cause to convince those that thought Rush pussed out starting with Signals and all the way through Hold Your Fire that they wrote, recorded and produced some of the most brilliant songs in their entire career.

We know. That's all that matters.

• Like 2

Why?

That is such BS.

Listen up Synth era Brethren....stop trying to convince non synth era fans. It's futile.

And it's OK.

But it is a lost cause to convince those that thought Rush pussed out starting with Signals and all the way through Hold Your Fire that they wrote, recorded and produced some of the most brilliant songs in their entire career.

We know. That's all that matters.

Actually love the 80's synth through Grace Under Pressure. And Signals is my favorite Rush album.

Think the drop off (in song quality/synth sound) started after that with PoW. (IMO)

Edited by greg2112

Why?

That is such BS.

Well argued, sir.

• Like 1