What is that sound in the beginning of I Think I´m Going Bald?

YYZumbi

It's the sound that lets me know Caress of Steel is over. Well, the good part of it, anyway.

I thought the good part of COS ended at 19:58 on Fountain of Lamneth

No. Really it ends at 4:37 on Bastille Day, but every now and then I try to give the rest of the album a chance. And every time, I end up regretting it.

It's the sound that lets me know Caress of Steel is over. Well, the good part of it, anyway.

No. Really it ends at 4:37 on Bastille Day, but every now and then I try to give the rest of the album a chance. And every time, I end up regretting it.

Lakeside Park is better than all but a song or two from PoW-Presto. But I know the angry guitars in the Necromancer scare you.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 4

Alex is caressing his steel. I really doubt it's a vocal thing. You can make really cool sounds with a loud, heavy distorted guitar just by shifting your fingers on the strings, even the tiniest bit.

And let me tell you something about Caress of Steel: Bastille Day is awesome. I Think I'm Going Bald is awesome - take it too seriously and you are simply blind to its awesomeness. Lakeside Park is awesome. The Necromancer is awesome and Under the Shadow is particularly mindblowing for the damn solo alone. The Fountain of Lamneth is the dream of awesome. It is the striving towards awesome. It is also awesome because it just is. It's not quite Hemispheres, but Hemispheres is outrageously, inordinately, extravagantly awesome - it kind of creates its own class of awesome. But we were talking about Caress of Steel and in particular about that little growling guitar moment of musical bounty.

Back to you.

• Like 9

Lakeside Park is better than all but a song or two from PoW-Presto. But I know the angry guitars in the Necromancer scare you.

:LOL: I used to joke that the necromancer was the very first black metal song, since it's so uncharacteristically heavy for rush

• Like 1

while I disagree with the first part of your post, I adore the last part

• Like 1

I think it's a bald eagle

Not a chance. Rush ripped us off on Xanadu when they used garbage birds (sparrows) chirping instead of exotic ones. Man, did I feel violated after realizing that. Crappy sparrows in the pleasure dome..I dont think so!!

• Like 1

I think it's a bald eagle

Not a chance. Rush ripped us off on Xanadu when they used garbage birds (sparrows) chirping instead of exotic ones. Man, did I feel violated after realizing that. Crappy sparrows in the pleasure dome..I dont think so!!

Fortunately for me I couldn't tell the chirp of a sparrow from the chirp of a ruby-throated shithawk.

“‘I Think I’m Going Bald’ opens with an echoed shriek from Geddy that sounds as if he has just seen what he is about to describe. It is about waking up, looking in the mirror, and thinking that you are going bald. The song has an amusing closing lyrical prophecy: ‘But even when I’m grey I’ll still be grey my way.'”—Bill Banasiewicz, Rush Visions

And some info from Geddy:

“We were touring a lot with Kiss in those days, and they had a song called ‘I Think I’m Gong Blind’ [actually just ‘Goin’ Blind’]. So we were kind of taking the piss out of that title by just coming up with this. . . . Pratt [a nickname for Neil, another one being The Professor] came up with this line, “I think I’m going bald,” because Alex is always worried about losing his hair. Even when he was not losing his hair, he was obsessed with the fact that he might lose his hair. So he would try all kinds of ingredients to put on his scalp. And I think it just got Neil thinking about aging, even though we weren’t aging yet and had no right to talk about that stuff yet. It would be much more appropriate now [2004]. And it just became a kind of funny song. And even though the song is not funny, in terms of sentiment, it kind of is, and the music is really goofy. A lot of people mistake us for being deadly serious, but some of our songs are just plain goofy.”—Geddy in Contents Under Pressure

Edited by Lucas

“‘I Think I’m Going Bald’ opens with an echoed shriek from Geddy that sounds as if he has just seen what he is about to describe. It is about waking up, looking in the mirror, and thinking that you are going bald. The song has an amusing closing lyrical prophecy: ‘But even when I’m grey I’ll still be grey my way.'”—Bill Banasiewicz, Rush Visions

And some info from Geddy:

“We were touring a lot with Kiss in those days, and they had a song called ‘I Think I’m Gong Blind’ [actually just ‘Goin’ Blind’]. So we were kind of taking the piss out of that title by just coming up with this. . . . Pratt [a nickname for Neil, another one being The Professor] came up with this line, “I think I’m going bald,” because Alex is always worried about losing his hair. Even when he was not losing his hair, he was obsessed with the fact that he might lose his hair. So he would try all kinds of ingredients to put on his scalp. And I think it just got Neil thinking about aging, even though we weren’t aging yet and had no right to talk about that stuff yet. It would be much more appropriate now [2004]. And it just became a kind of funny song. And even though the song is not funny, in terms of sentiment, it kind of is, and the music is really goofy. A lot of people mistake us for being deadly serious, but some of our songs are just plain goofy.”—Geddy in Contents Under Pressure

I don't trust Bill B, but I won't discount it either.

Sounds like a pick slide to me.

Me too. Is there any chance that it was augmented with a "Geddy scream"? I don't hear it, personally, but I'm trying to reconcile the Bill B account.

someone stepped on a cat

It's that glitch/déjà vu cat from The Matrix.

Edited by EagleMoon