The Official AOR Lovers Thread

Segue Myles

Oh ok.

1. Toto-Fahrenheit

2. Boston-Boston

3. Rush-Presto

4. Journey-Escape

5. Kansas-Leftoverture

6. Fleetwood Mac-Tango in the Night (i count it)

7. Styx-Paradise Theater

8. Toto-Tambu

9. Foreigner 4

10 Asia-Asia

Mick

I FORGOT FLEETWOOD MAC!

10. Kansas- Leftoverture

9. Kansas- The Point Of Know Return

8. Toto- Isolation

7. Trillion- Trillion

6. Toto- Tambu

5. Styx- Paradise Theater

4. Fleetwood Mac- Rumours

3. Toto- Fahrenheit

2. Fleetwood Mac- Tusk

1. Strangeways- Native Sons

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

:haz: :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

http://youtu.be/gCMkl25iBEs

J.Y. you monster!

I would love to see them, not sure if I would care to see DeYoung (I am a Styx fan in spite of him, much like Toto and Bobby Kimball). He does have a great voice and has written many fine songs, but his really naff theatricality makes me cringe. But his best work with Styx is integral to my enjoyment of the band, but Kilroy onwards I want to burn their discography.

J.Y. you monster!

I would love to see them, not sure if I would care to see DeYoung (I am a Styx fan in spite of him, much like Toto and Bobby Kimball). He does have a great voice and has written many fine songs, but his really naff theatricality makes me cringe. But his best work with Styx is integral to my enjoyment of the band, but Kilroy onwards I want to burn their discography.

Deyoung is Styx history. He left in 1999

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

J.Y. you monster!

Deyoung is Styx history. He left (for the 2nd time) in 1999

Mick

I know. But I don't like any of the post Brave New World material, and I only sort of like the odd moment on BNW. My enthusiasm for Styx is dedicated to the first ten albums.

• Like 1

As many of you have surely noticed, I am an absolute addict for AOR. The bigger the hair the happier I am. The cheesiest ballad is a sure fire hit in my collection. But considering many older fans here would have been around when AOR was at its peak, both artistically and commercially, I thought it was about time we had a thread dedicated to progs sexier, yet vacuous, little brother.

My current favourite AOR bands (or pomp-rock, cheese rock, etc):

Toto

Journey

Styx

Kansas

Strangeways

Fleetwood Mac (post 1975)

Trillion

Foreigner

Let us all get the nerd on. I would love it if music like this could top the charts the world over all over again, I really love this genre.

Wow! Great Thread! I'm an AOR WHORE!

Hope this thread stays on the front page!!!!

BOSTON!

• Like 1

I would say Strangeways 'Walk In The Fire' topped 'Native Sons'.

Hard to go past Journey for mine - like Rush, they never had a hit down here so the only time I heard them was from my stereo.

Work Of Art doing great stuff now.

Have also been listening to a great new British band called The Struts.

• Like 2

I would say Strangeways 'Walk In The Fire' topped 'Native Sons'.

Hard to go past Journey for mine - like Rush, they never had a hit down here so the only time I heard them was from my stereo.

Work Of Art doing great stuff now.

Have also been listening to a great new British band called The Struts.

Walk In The Fire is a monster rock album! I plan to purchase that soon, but Native Sons has a certain spark that appeals to me, not really sure what it is but I love it!

As many of you have surely noticed, I am an absolute addict for AOR. The bigger the hair the happier I am. The cheesiest ballad is a sure fire hit in my collection. But considering many older fans here would have been around when AOR was at its peak, both artistically and commercially, I thought it was about time we had a thread dedicated to progs sexier, yet vacuous, little brother.

My current favourite AOR bands (or pomp-rock, cheese rock, etc):

Toto

Journey

Styx

Kansas

Strangeways

Fleetwood Mac (post 1975)

Trillion

Foreigner

Let us all get the nerd on. I would love it if music like this could top the charts the world over all over again, I really love this genre.

Wow! Great Thread! I'm an AOR WHORE!

Hope this thread stays on the front page!!!!

BOSTON!

AOR is pop rock at its finest! I love it equally with prog.

Rio Speedwagon must also be tarred with this brush. I really liked them until they went all "mushy".

The success that brought meant they stayed that way . I call it the "Bryan Adams Syndrome" ( shudder).

OK...need to check them out, alongside Saga and Angel.

Saga are not AOR. They are Prog Rock (Lite) no question.Saw them live a few months ago and they blew the roof off the place!!!And at no stage, were cigarette lighters lofted.Reo Speedwagon were a hard rock band in the 7o's who morphed into a "safe" AOR band after huge commercial success in the 80's with the album Hi-Fidelity.The novelty had worn off by the 90's and they slipped into commercial obscurity. Saw them live twice in the 80's, but the damage was already done by then.In desperation, they even released a compilation titled "The ballads" and an album of Christmas songs (Shudder).Last year, actually toured with Chicago.Despite losing their pivotal musical forces, they continue to stagger on. it's all very sad. Edited by foghorn-leghorn
  • Like 1

Saga are not AOR. They are Prog Rock (Lite) no question.

Saw them live a few months ago and they blew the roof off the place!!!

And at no stage, were cigarette lighters lofted.

Reo Speedwagon were a hard rock band in the 7o's who morphed into a "safe" AOR band after huge commercial success in the 80's with the album Hi-Fidelity.

The novelty had worn off by the 90's and they slipped into commercial obscurity. Saw them live twice in the 80's, but the damage was already done by then.

In desperation, they even released a compilition titled "The ballads" and an album of Christmas songs (Shudder).Last year, actually toured with Chicago.

Despite losing their pivotal musical forces, they continue to stagger on. it's all very sad.

I was gonna say that about Sags....in what universe is that band AOR? lol

Mick

qq

Saga are not AOR. They are Prog Rock (Lite) no question.

Saw them live a few months ago and they blew the roof off the place!!!

And at no stage, were cigarette lighters lofted.

Reo Speedwagon were a hard rock band in the 7o's who morphed into a "safe" AOR band after huge commercial success in the 80's with the album Hi-Fidelity.

The novelty had worn off by the 90's and they slipped into commercial obscurity. Saw them live twice in the 80's, but the damage was already done by then.

In desperation, they even released a compilition titled "The ballads" and an album of Christmas songs (Shudder).Last year, actually toured with Chicago.

Despite losing their pivotal musical forces, they continue to stagger on. it's all very sad.

I was gonna say that about Sags....in what universe is that band AOR? lol

Mick

WELL I THOUGHT THEY WERE MATE!

I am just loving this genre, I keep discovering so many gems. Musicians who craft this style of rock are genuinely passionate for melody, and riffs. I love it!

Classic Rock Magazine actually has a AOR Magazine! KICK ASS!

Oh baby I have an AOR band! ANGEL!!!

PUNKY MEADOWS!

http://www.nndb.com/people/666/000125291/punky-meadows.jpg

Look at those pouty lips!

Man or woman?

Bon Jovi are clawing their way into my affections.

Metal my ass, they are just Foreigners louder little brother!

• Like 1

not a huge Fan but they were NEVER EVER Metal. IMO. to many pop sensibilities.

Mick

not a huge Fan but they were NEVER EVER Metal. IMO. to many pop sensibilities.

Mick

Agreed. But growing up they were contstantly labelled as glam rock or metal in the magazines i read, and i hear it a little but i hear a lot more pop.

They are so cheesy and this is a fun album!

• Like 1

And I prefer Styx first four albums to both Equinox and Crystal Ball.

I always found the Wooden Nickel albums to suffer from Fly By Night syndrome, where there's no clear musical theme about them, and is just a hodgepodge of some good stuff, and some WTF is this stuff. Equinox was similar, but that was their 2112 where some really awesome stuff started coming out like Suite Madame Blue and Midnight Ride.

I must admit, I too struggle with Dennis DeYoung, especially on Cornerstone. But everything about Paradise Theater blows my mind, I am a huge fan of that album!

As for Fleetwood Mac, I could almost say the same thing about Queen (I do love one song of theirs though: The Show Must Go On). I am indifferent to Queen, and find them to be a pompous waste of time, and I cannot stand Freddie Mercury (shush everybody, you mock me for loving Springsteen!).

Cornerstone for me contends with Kilroy and beyond for "worst Styx album". Babe is very cringe worthy. Paradise Theater was a very solid effort, though most of the good songs were either J.Y's or Shaw's.

I can understand the dislike of Queen.

I would have bet that disliking Queen was pretty near impossible...

Confession.

I'm not a big fan. Some of the "greatest hits" stuff I like.