2015 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

Sigh. Bucs had the bases loaded 4 different times during tonight's game and couldn't score even once. Very frustrating! Cards' defense was so strong.

Seeing Piscotty go down was awful, I really think he was out cold for a few moments after running into Bourjos' knee. I hope he's OK, it looked like a wicked hit.

So far all the news has been good regarding Piscotty. Regained a level of consciousness at the hospital. Movement of all the extremities. No facial fractures. Apparently a pretty significant contusion and I would imagine a concussion, but overall so much better than it could have been.

Props to the Pittsburgh fans for handling a scary moment with respect.

• Like 2

In other injury news in St. Louis....

Adam Wainwright may be medically cleared today to pitch.... in a game. He could come out of the bullpen as early as tomorrow (Wednesday). Likewise, he won't start either for the remainder of the season or in the playoffs, but could come out of the bullpen via an on/off rotation.

This is a guy who ruptured his left achilles tendon, requiring surgical repair, in late April and nearly 5 months to the day he is not only throwing, not only pitching in simulation, but potentially throwing in meaningful games? Dude wins the 2015 "Grown A** Man" Award.

This, by the way, could be huge for the Cardinals. Wainwright is a leader. His presence anywhere on the team is important and I can't help but think his return, especially from this injury, can reignite some fire the team appears to have lost in September.

And, by the way, Waino has pitched out of the bullpen before, including in the post season. In 2006, he closed out the NLDS, NLCS (on a wicked curve to Beltran), and the World Series.

So, yeah, this picture probably sums up how the Cardinals feel about the return of #50...

http://img.bleacherreport.net/img/slides/photos/002/446/411/hi-res-72287653_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 1

http://static.businessinsider.com/image/56094f7abd86ef19008bd642/image.gif

:dweez: :dweez: :dweez:

If I had an MVP vote, he just lost mine.

I wouldn't vote for Papelbon either.

• Like 1

Would Papelbon even be considered? Save for someone like Rivera, would any closer be considered? :huh:

Harper definitely comes off as a guy in need of an attitude adjustment ... but he's also leading the league in HR and average, as well as in the top 5 in RBI. He has far and away the highest WAR in not just the NL, but MLB. Oh, yeah, he's also an everyday player. In some ways, a closer calling out an everyday player is a bit like a kicker calling out his All-Star quarterback. :LOL:

I can't help but think, even if Harper deserves an a**-whooping (and he might), A) Papelbon is not the one to do it, and B) take that stuff to the clubhouse.

But, then again, it's not as if Papelbon is known for being a class act anyway.

Would Papelbon even be considered? Save for someone like Rivera, would any closer be considered? :huh:

Harper definitely comes off as a guy in need of an attitude adjustment ... but he's also leading the league in HR and average, as well as in the top 5 in RBI. He has far and away the highest WAR in not just the NL, but MLB. Oh, yeah, he's also an everyday player. In some ways, a closer calling out an everyday player is a bit like a kicker calling out his All-Star quarterback. :LOL:

I can't help but think, even if Harper deserves an a**-whooping (and he might), A) Papelbon is not the one to do it, and B) take that stuff to the clubhouse.

But, then again, it's not as if Papelbon is known for being a class act anyway.

Come on man, Papelbon's been there for 57 days.

In 1984, Willie Hernandez won the AL MVP as a closer. I think in 1981 (strike year) Fingers might have won it too.

But, no, the joke (which appears to have failed) is that disk98 was actually talking about Harper.

I'm a Dodger fan in the Bay Area so I appreciate the above statement more than can be acknowledged. Whoo hoo!
  • Like 1

I'm a Dodger fan in the Bay Area so I appreciate the above statement more than can be acknowledged. Whoo hoo!

I hate the Giants.

I love the A's. Been an A's fan since I was a baby dinosaur. even though they had a shit year I've been through a lot of shit years. Been through even more shit years being a lifelong Warrior fan as well.

Hat the Dodgers too but thats only cuz I hate all LA teams.

I hate the Giants.

I love the A's. Been an A's fan since I was a baby dinosaur. even though they had a shit year I've been through a lot of shit years. Been through even more shit years being a lifelong Warrior fan as well.

Hat the Dodgers too but thats only cuz I hate all LA teams.

Raiders fan here,

I know how you feel.

I was an A's season ticket holder for well over 20 years but I'm originally from SoCal. I don't hate anything but I detest the Giants and really because of Giant fans and how I have personally been treated since the age of 12. I don't like the Yankess much because of 77 and 78. Hate is bad.

Disliking a team because of where they are from makes little sense to me.

Cards clinch NLC and home field advantage by taking 2 of 3 from the Bucs. Bucs and Cubs to duke it out in the WC.

Hope they're ready for the Jake Show.

And hopefully at Wrigley. Maybe the Reds will actually try against the Pirates.

• Like 1

Cards clinch NLC and home field advantage by taking 2 of 3 from the Bucs. Bucs and Cubs to duke it out in the WC.

They seriously just don't give a flying f**k right now.

They seriously just don't give a flying f**k right now.

The Red are two games away from catching Philly for the worst record and the #1 pick. I am not saying the Reds are purposefully tanking, but I just got a call from Walt Jocketty asking if I wanted to be the starting pitcher on Saturday. :syrinx:

Plus, the Pirates will do everything they can to get home field. They know they are going to have to face Arrieta and they really might need that final at-bat.

With Pitt's magic number for hosting the game at 2, I would be shocked if the game is played in Wrigley.... but strangers things have happened.

Okay, folks, your final weekend of the season meaningful baseball series....

AMERICAN LEAGUE - IT'S A HOT MESS!

1a) Angels at Texas (4 games) - LA can still technically catch Texas for the division, but has to sweep. Realistically, Texas is playing for the division and LA is playing for the final WC spot. Texas gets the division with a 2-2 split or better. Texas only winning 1 game or getting swept could create all sorts of chaos depending upon how Houston, New York, and even Minnesota play out.

1b) Houston at Arizona (3 games) - Houston benefits from Texas and LA playing each other and, with a sweep in Arizona, has a slight chance of catching the Rangers for the division, but it would mean either they tie the Rangers (assuming Texas goes 1-3 against LA) or the Angels (assuming LA goes 4-0 against Texas). That would force the dreaded one game divisional playoff against either team and give likely the Yankees a huge advantage in the Wild Card. Houston is probably better suited to sweep Arizona and hope for 2-2 split between Texas and LA, giving Texas the division and Houston the clear hold on the final WC spot. We could also end up with Houston and LA or Houston and Minnesota (somehow, still) tied for the final WC spot, forcing a one game playoff for the WC game.

2) Minnesota at Cleveland (1 game) and KC at Minnesota (3 games) - Minnesota is technically still alive and needs to sweep the remainder to have a chance at the Wild Card. They also need a lot of help from Texas and Arizona. They could end up with the final WC spot outright or could force a tiebreaker with Houston, or LA, or somehow both. There is a uber crazy, yet believable, scenario in which, follow me here.... Texas splits 2-2 with LA and takes the division, leaving LA at 85 wins, Houston only going 1-2 in Arizona leaving Houston with 85 wins, and Minnesota going 3-1 to end it leaving Minnesota with 85 wins.

3) Boston at New York (1 game) and New York at Baltimore (3 games) - New York's magic number to clinch at least a play-in for the WC is 1 and to clinch home field for the WC is 2 over Houston and LA. If Yankees get swept, there is a slight chance they miss the WC altogether as New York would stay at 86 wins and combined Houston and LA sweeps in their series would put both AL West clubs in the post-season picture with 87 wins (and Texas out with only 86 wins).

4) Toronto at Baltimore (1 game) and Toronto at Tampa Bay (3 games) - Any combination of 3 between Toronto wins and KC losses and the Blue Jays secure home field throughout the post-season (thanks to the silly All-Star Game rule).

5) KC at Chicago (1 game) KC at Minnesota (3 games) - KC likely needs to sweep the remainder and need help from Baltimore and/or Tampa Bay to take home field throughout the post-season outright.

Clear as mud, right?! I think I have all this right, but could have missed something.

NATIONAL LEAGUE - A WHOLE LOT MORE SIMPLE

1) New York at Philly (1 game) and New York at Washington (3 games) - Any combination of 3 between New York wins and Dodger losses and they secure home field for the NLDS.

2) LA at SF (1 game) and San Diego at LA (3 games) - They likely need to sweep the remainder and need help from Philly and/or Washington to secure home field for the NLDS.

3) Cincy at Pitt (3 games) - Any combination of 2 between Pitt wins and Chicago losses and the Pirates secure home field for the WC game.

4) Chicago at Cincy (1 game) and Chicago at Milwaukee (3 games) - Chicago needs to sweep the remainder and get help from Cincy to secure home field for the WC game.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

1a) Angels at Texas (4 games) - LA can still technically catch Texas for the division, but has to sweep. Realistically, Texas is playing for the division and LA is playing for the final WC spot. Texas gets the division with a 2-2 split or better. Texas only winning 1 game or getting swept could create all sorts of chaos depending upon how Houston, New York, and even Minnesota play out.

1b) Houston at Arizona (3 games) - Houston benefits from Texas and LA playing each other and, with a sweep in Arizona, has a slight chance of catching the Rangers for the division, but it would mean either they tie the Rangers (assuming Texas goes 1-3 against LA) or the Angels (assuming LA goes 4-0 against Texas). That would force the dreaded one game divisional playoff against either team and give likely the Yankees a huge advantage in the Wild Card. Houston is probably better suited to sweep Arizona and hope for 2-2 split between Texas and LA, giving Texas the division and Houston the clear hold on the final WC spot. We could also end up with Houston and LA or Houston and Minnesota (somehow, still) tied for the final WC spot, forcing a one game playoff for the WC game.

2) Minnesota at Cleveland (1 game) and KC at Minnesota (3 games) - Minnesota is technically still alive and needs to sweep the remainder to have a chance at the Wild Card. They also need a lot of help from Texas and Arizona. They could end up with the final WC spot outright or could force a tiebreaker with Houston, or LA, or somehow both. There is a uber crazy, yet believable, scenario in which, follow me here.... Texas splits 2-2 with LA and takes the division, leaving LA at 85 wins, Houston only going 1-2 in Arizona leaving Houston with 85 wins, and Minnesota going 3-1 to end it leaving Minnesota with 85 wins.

3) Boston at New York (1 game) and New York at Baltimore (3 games) - New York's magic number to clinch at least a play-in for the WC is 1 and to clinch home field for the WC is 2 over Houston and LA. If Yankees get swept, there is a slight chance they miss the WC altogether as New York would stay at 86 wins and combined Houston and LA sweeps in their series would put both AL West clubs in the post-season picture with 87 wins (and Texas out with only 86 wins).

4) Toronto at Baltimore (1 game) and Toronto at Tampa Bay (3 games) - Any combination of 3 between Toronto wins and KC losses and the Blue Jays secure home field throughout the post-season (thanks to the silly All-Star Game rule).

5) KC at Chicago (1 game) KC at Minnesota (3 games) - KC likely needs to sweep the remainder and need help from Baltimore and/or Tampa Bay to take home field throughout the post-season outright.

Clear as mud, right?! I think I have all this right, but could have missed something.

1) New York at Philly (1 game) and New York at Washington (3 games) - Any combination of 3 between New York wins and Dodger losses and they secure home field for the NLDS.

2) LA at SF (1 game) and San Diego at LA (3 games) - They likely need to sweep the remainder and need help from Philly and/or Washington to secure home field for the NLDS.

3) Cincy at Pitt (3 games) - Any combination of 2 between Pitt wins and Chicago losses and the Pirates secure home field for the WC game.

4) Chicago at Cincy (1 game) and Chicago at Milwaukee (3 games) - Chicago needs to sweep the remainder and get help from Cincy to secure home field for the WC game.

As a Rangers' fan, I'm definitely going to be white knuckling it through our serious with LA. Even though our road record is a little better than our at-home wins, I think it will be very much to our advantage having the series at home. GO RANGERS!!!!!!! :cheerleader:

• Like 3

My expectations for and emotional investment in the Jays are lower this year... middle of the division finish is my prediction. Pitching won't be strong enough. Go ahead and prove me wrong!

I'll say the Tigers and Washington will do well in the regular season.

This is why I don't go to Vegas and bet.... I would lose my shirt, haha... congrats to the Jays...

Edited by RushCanuck
  • Like 3

As a Rangers' fan, I'm definitely going to be white knuckling it through our serious with LA. Even though our road record is a little better than our at-home wins, I think it will be very much to our advantage having the series at home. GO RANGERS!!!!!!! :cheerleader:

They got their first one. They are at least a WC. I think they go ahead and two more to secure the division (and add one for measure). Part of me has to think the Rangers, although they won't admit it, would rather have the Astros be the other AL West team to make the post-season picture. One, the Astros are fading and appear to be the less dangerous team, whereas the Angels have been surging. Two, the rivalry with LA is much more intense than with Houston (even with the whole in-state thing going on).

• Like 1

And the Angels lose to Oakland.

I just posted in the Blue Jays thread how great it is to see the A's make the playoffs...unfortunately in other teams' uniforms, of course. I came across an article on the subject, from a few months ago , that I hadn't read...

Yoenis Cespedes questions A's: 'Don't they want to win a championship?'

Upon arriving at the O.co Coliseum on Monday morning, Detroit Tigers outfielder Yoenis Cespedes made a point of visiting the Oakland Athletics clubhouse to say hello to manager Bob Melvin and his former teammates. Whichever he could find. Only nine players currently on the Oakland roster were with the club last July 31, when Cespedes was shockingly sent to the Boston Red Sox in a swap involving ace left-hander Jon Lester. The A's, a first-place team trying to defend its back-to-back AL West titles at the time, went 22-33 the rest of the way and traded All-Stars Josh Donaldson, Jeff Samardzija, Derek Norris and Brandon Moss for young players in the offseason. That supported the contention of fellow Cuban Ariel Prieto, who served as Cespedes' interpreter and mentor during his 2½ seasons with the A's. "Prieto would tell me Oakland is a school where they develop the players, then they let them go,'' Cespedes said...

Do the MLB's economic realities give Billy Bean any real choice in the matter?

http://www.usatoday....nship/27927219/

Edited by goose

I just posted in the Blue Jays thread how great it is to see the A's make the playoffs...unfortunately in other teams' uniforms, of course. I came across an article on the subject, from a few months ago , that I hadn't read...

Upon arriving at the O.co Coliseum on Monday morning, Detroit Tigers outfielder Yoenis Cespedes made a point of visiting the Oakland Athletics clubhouse to say hello to manager Bob Melvin and his former teammates. Whichever he could find. Only nine players currently on the Oakland roster were with the club last July 31, when Cespedes was shockingly sent to the Boston Red Sox in a swap involving ace left-hander Jon Lester. The A's, a first-place team trying to defend its back-to-back AL West titles at the time, went 22-33 the rest of the way and traded All-Stars Josh Donaldson, Jeff Samardzija, Derek Norris and Brandon Moss for young players in the offseason. That supported the contention of fellow Cuban Ariel Prieto, who served as Cespedes' interpreter and mentor during his 2½ seasons with the A's. "Prieto would tell me Oakland is a school where they develop the players, then they let them go,'' Cespedes said...

Yeah, I don't know why you guys traded Donaldson. :unsure: Thanks though! He's been wonderful! :)

I suppose it depends upon the goal of the club. I think of Montreal and their extremely strong farm system but there was never really a drive to win playoffs from the fan base (playing baseball in a hockey town is tough) on the scale of U.S. teams. Everything fell apart for the Expos after the '94 strike though, and Montreal truly became the league's farm system before the league bought them and moved them to Washington.

I think Joe Maddon demonstrated in Tampa that you don't need cash and a large market to become a powerhouse. So, I'd say no, I don't think economics are the primary driver, I think it is Beene's devotion to what ever his algorithm tells him the result is. Economics are certainly a variable in his equation, but, to my knowledge, Beene plays it all as a numbers game and builds and destroys teams based on his assessment of each players objectively quantifiable value (if that is even actually possible) I don't agree with his methods, but I'm not in baseball.

JMO

• Like 1

Yeah, I don't know why you guys traded Donaldson. :unsure: Thanks though! He's been wonderful! :)

I suppose it depends upon the goal of the club. I think of Montreal and their extremely strong farm system but there was never really a drive to win playoffs from the fan base (playing baseball in a hockey town is tough) on the scale of U.S. teams. Everything fell apart for the Expos after the '94 strike though, and Montreal truly became the league's farm system before the league bought them and moved them to Washington.

I think Joe Maddon demonstrated in Tampa that you don't need cash and a large market to become a powerhouse. So, I'd say no, I don't think economics are the primary driver, I think it is Beene's devotion to what ever his algorithm tells him the result is. Economics are certainly a variable in his equation, but, to my knowledge, Beene plays it all as a numbers game and builds and destroys teams based on his assessment of each players objectively quantifiable value (if that is even actually possible) I don't agree with his methods, but I'm not in baseball.

JMO

Economics is a big driver of his algorithm approach. Bang for the buck is the bottom l;ine, regardless of what is happening on the field in the moment. It can be torture in the short run, but works over the long haul.
  • Like 1

Congrats to Max Scherzer for throwing a SECOND no-hitter this season, this time against the Mets.

That should end the Nats' season on a higher note. I expect Williams will get the boot.

• Like 1