2015 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

http://streamable.com/7cqd

Same suspension as was handed out to Gregorius after this slide, too. It all seems to make sense.

:sarcastic: :sarcastic:

That one was totally legal. Get out of the way.. if you're standing on second... :)

Another situation completely set up by a bad toss. Players are bigger, faster, stronger...which means they can't just stop their momentum when an opponent gets himself into a defenseless stance on what should be a routine play.

I

Goose -

Your argument is basically, "it happens all the time".

Yes, you are right on one level. It does happen all the time.... and every time it is *still* a violation of the written rules of the game. The problem is MLB just allows this to continue happening in the name of tradition and some warped sense of manhood. Those who read these boards know I love baseball, but they also know I am the first to say baseball lacks credibility regarding the "integrity of the game" because it so often ignores its rules and has a set of unwritten rules. This is a perfect example of that lack of integrity. Joe Torre says the play was clean (albeit late). Bullshit, Joe. According to the actual rules, it's not clean.

The rules are pretty clear. You have to go into the bag. You can't be out of the baseline. You can't try to interfere with a throw.

Like I said, a good hard slide *into* the bag and all is good. To the side of the bag is not into the bag. Utley went to the side, late, and high.

Does that make Utley a dirty player? Nope. He is just getting away with what MLB lets happen. I don't blame Utley. Hell, Utley is a second baseman and knows he has to deal with the same type of play from time-to-time. And, yeah, Tejada was in an awkward position..... off the base. I blame MLB for allowing this in the first place.

PS In the spirit of transparency, as a much younger, thinner man, I played second base. Every now and then a guy tried this kind of thing. Usually they didn't try it a second time. It might have to do with the fact I miraculously always came down with my cleats in his gut or worse. That wasn't really classy on my behalf, but it's what I did to protect myself in the future - especially when the ump didn't make the call.

If you slide wide of the base and get it with your arm you're good, and Utley could have conceivably done that. Cmon, the argument that hes out of the baseline is weak. It was a hard slide. It was not notable enough or different enough to cause outrage or a suspension.

Come on,

He slid late and went out of his way at the last moment. Hell, he might as well have just kept running at that point.

But he didnt. He slid late, and was in reach of the bag. The suspension is bullsh-t. And two games? And yet throwing a baseball 95mph at a player, intentionally, doesn't get you a suspension. BS. If you're not ready for that, then you don't take the ball that way on second.

First of all,

Pitchers get suspended all the time. If fact one of the Mets Pitchers was suspended last week for it. The late slide was BS and he went out of his way to do it. I unerstand that a player wants to break up the throw to first.But the late slide is what I din't like.

So, um, yeah....

Throw back to the mound is always live. Batter interference can be called if the batter, um, yeah, interferes. The batter did not. The ump was wrong to wave it off. The run should have scored. Again, the ump was wrong to try to wave it off.

Reminds me of the crazy Cardinals run on fielder interference against Boston in the WS a couple of years ago. The rule was pretty obvious then.

Just because fans don't understand the rules doesn't mean the call wasn't eventually made right.

The Ranger run was legit. Yes, quirky and likely not ever to be seen again. But legit.

But, more importantly, we learned that all these Canadian niceties are a facade. They are, apparently, just like their southern neighbors. The first sign of a perceived sports slight and trash is getting thrown. It's officially time to annex Canada. They are as American as hot dogs, apple pie, and throwing beer cans at babies. :facepalm:

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

So, um, yeah....

Throw back to the mound is always live. Batter interference can be called if the batter, um, yeah, interferes. The batter did not. The ump was wrong to wave it off. The run should have scored. Again, the ump was wrong to try to wave it off.

Reminds me of the crazy Cardinals run on fielder interference against Boston in the WS a couple of years ago. The rule was pretty obvious then.

Just because fans don't understand the rules doesn't mean the call wasn't eventually made right.

The Ranger run was legit. Yes, quirky and likely not ever to be seen again. But legit.

But, more importantly, we learned that all these Canadian niceties are a facade. They are, apparently, just like their southern neighbors. The first sign of a perceived sports slight and trash is getting thrown. It's officially time to annex Canada. They are as American as hot dogs, apple pie, and throwing beer cans at babies. :facepalm:

Ha! 51st state! I still don't quite get the Ranger run, though. I agree, Ump should not have done anything, assumed ball was live and waited for a ruling. He didn't wait though, he called time, so isn't the ball dead at that point?

So, um, yeah....

Yep. It seemed really out of character for Geddy to run out on the field and assault the ump.

• Like 3

So, um, yeah....

Ha! 51st state! I still don't quite get the Ranger run, though. I agree, Ump should not have done anything, assumed ball was live and waited for a ruling. He didn't wait though, he called time, so isn't the ball dead at that point?

You hit the nail on the head. Dueling problems created by one bad ump call.

One, the ump should *not* have called time. The play was live and the runner was very, VERY smart to move. Blue Jay fans can talk all day that their players did not move because the ump called time, but really, if you watch the play, the Blue Jay players didn't move... period. The Ranger runner was well into motion long before the ump called time. The runner was going to score regardless of what the ump did. And the runner was right to keep moving because he was right to know that ball was actually live per the rules of the game.

Two, the ump calling time creates a cluster situation because he calls what should have been a live ball dead. He essentially tells the world he didn't realize what was going on. He essentially says, "Hey, I am going to take away a run from a team because I wasn't paying attention.... on a technicality of calling time."

So, he either admits he made the wrong call by calling time, or hides behind calling time. Either way, he is screwed. He either admits he wasn't fully alert or he contradicts his calling time.

In the end, it is a moot issue as Toronto won the game. But also, in the end, the ump had the courage to let his peers help him realize he shouldn't have called time, the runner was well into motion, and the play was basically on par with a wild pitch or a passed ball. It was a defensive error, albeit rare, that led to a base advancement.

This will get reviewed a lot in the off season. Umps won't make that mistake again for a while. They will let the play ride and sort it out if that kind of thing comes up again.

• Like 3

Cain for President? What's his plan, three right fielders in every outfield?

Cain plays some RF, but he's pretty much been KC's everyday CF this season.

It was a 999 joke since I assumed goose was playing off Herman Cain's ill-fated 2012 presidential campaign, the cornerstone of which was his 999 tax plan, with his comment.

Cain for President? What's his plan, three right fielders in every outfield?

Cain plays some RF, but he's pretty much been KC's everyday CF this season.

It was a 999 joke since I assumed goose was playing off Herman Cain's ill-fated 2012 presidential campaign, the cornerstone of which was his 999 tax plan, with his comment.

Oh, gotcha'. I'll look for the context before I butt in next time.

• Like 2

Sorry to Geddy and to Jays fans here, but I cannot root for them to advance any further. They are a ridiculously obnoxious bunch, especially Donaldson who thinks any ball that comes within a foot of him is a purpose pitch and any mumbling by a pitcher to himself is a challenge to fight, and Mr. Bautista with his over-the-top macho glares and bat flips. The fans at the game yesterday didn't exactly behave the classiest either. Guess it'll be Go Mets, Cubs or Royals for me now. Edited by TexMike
  • Like 1

Sorry to Geddy and to Jays fans here, but I cannot root for them to advance any further. They are a ridiculously obnoxious bunch, especially Donaldson who thinks any ball that comes within a foot of him is a purpose pitch and any mumbling by a pitcher to himself is a challenge to fight, and Mr. Bautista with his over-the-top macho glares and bat flips. The fans at the game yesterday didn't exactly behave the classiest either. Guess it'll be Go Mets, Cubs or Royals for me now.

I'll be rooting for Mets or Cubbies, preferably Chicago, for family loyalty reasons. I agree with you about the Toronto crowd yesterday. Even when the Jays were winning, they acted like a massive frat party gone awry. But, to be fair, there was bad sportsmanship on both sides. Today, Dyson is complaining about Bautista's bat flip, which if you're a Rangers' fan was epically obnoxious. But, Dyson's whining is making the team look like sore losers. And, they are NOT. Elvis Andrus didn't shy away from reporters' questions regarding his errors, and he's taken full ownership of them. Bannister had a classy post-game response to the Rangers' post season fall, and stands behind his team that practically every analyzer predicted wouldn't even go .500 this season. The Rangers battled back and took the AL West. There is absolutely no shame in how far they got this season. They have tons of heart, they LOVE the game of baseball and playing the game together. I can't wait for 2016.

• Like 3

Sorry to Geddy and to Jays fans here, but I cannot root for them to advance any further. They are a ridiculously obnoxious bunch, especially Donaldson who thinks any ball that comes within a foot of him is a purpose pitch and any mumbling by a pitcher to himself is a challenge to fight, and Mr. Bautista with his over-the-top macho glares and bat flips. The fans at the game yesterday didn't exactly behave the classiest either. Guess it'll be Go Mets, Cubs or Royals for me now.

I'll be rooting for Mets or Cubbies, preferably Chicago, for family loyalty reasons. I agree with you about the Toronto crowd yesterday. Even when the Jays were winning, they acted like a massive frat party gone awry. But, to be fair, there was bad sportsmanship on both sides. Today, Dyson is complaining about Bautista's bat flip, which if you're a Rangers' fan was epically obnoxious. But, Dyson's whining is making the team look like sore losers. And, they are NOT. Elvis Andrus didn't shy away from reporters' questions regarding his errors, and he's taken full ownership of them. Bannister had a classy post-game response to the Rangers' post season fall, and stands behind his team that practically every analyzer predicted wouldn't even go .500 this season. The Rangers battled back and took the AL West. There is absolutely no shame in how far they got this season. They have tons of heart, they LOVE the game of baseball and playing the game together. I can't wait for 2016.

:goodone:

I'm in Mets mode now, but I don't mind the idea of the Cubs winning it all.

Edited by 1-0-0-1-0-0-1
  • Like 1

I proudly wore my Texas Rangers AL West Champions t-shirt today. I love my team. We've been through worse. We'll be unstoppable in 2016.

For now, it's on to rooting for the Mets! :cheerleader:

Good for you. We lost Cole Hamels to you so I'm bitter. :) They are a good team. Now about the Mets... CMON! lol

• Like 1