2015 MLB Season Thread

RUSHHEAD666

Greinke to the Dbacks? Seriously?

$206.5 million, so an average of $34 million plus for six years.

Of course he's serious. He was barely getting pocket change from the Dodgers.....

• Like 1

Cubs pick up John Lackey for 2 years, $32 million.

That one stings a bit in St. Louis. I know the Cardinals were hoping to keep him (but saw the writing on the wall with Lester and Epstein on the North Side). Pretty stellar move on Chicago's behalf. An upgrade and hurting your arch rival in the same move.

I'm not counting on it being that great of a deal. Asking a guy in his late 30's to produce that good of a season he had last year with the Cardinals (under 3 ERA) isn't very realistic.

But I guess he's better than blowing an astronomical 9 digit contract on a pitcher who's bound to blow out his arm soon.

Keep whistling. You're almost past the graveyard.

Lackey was a dumb signing the FIRST time Theo stupidly did it.

And WATT was saying that Lackey signing with the Cubs was a slap in the face to the Cardinals...

Dodgers losing Greinke to a division rival has got to hurt.

• Like 1

Cubs pick up John Lackey for 2 years, $32 million.

That one stings a bit in St. Louis. I know the Cardinals were hoping to keep him (but saw the writing on the wall with Lester and Epstein on the North Side). Pretty stellar move on Chicago's behalf. An upgrade and hurting your arch rival in the same move.

I'm not counting on it being that great of a deal. Asking a guy in his late 30's to produce that good of a season he had last year with the Cardinals (under 3 ERA) isn't very realistic.

But I guess he's better than blowing an astronomical 9 digit contract on a pitcher who's bound to blow out his arm soon.

Lackey was excellent last year. We will see how much gas he has left in the tank. Cubs will be fortunate if he as a good year in 2016 and a serviceable year in 2017

I do think it will be a great deal for next year, at least.

My hunch is Lackey discovered his place at this time in his career aligns well with National League baseball. He had a decent defense behind him in St. Louis this year and I would argue the Chicago defense, albeit younger, is probably better. The wild card factor here is the catcher. Molina gets more out of his pitchers than the typical backstop. The question is how much of Lackey's 2015 productivity and success came from the guy asking for pitches and visiting him at the mound (or visiting with him in the dugout during stretches on the IR)? I would agree Molina is some of the reality, but not all of it.

I do bet he has a solid 2016. I agree 2017 may be an issue, but I think this move puts Chicago, assuming a couple of other likely moves or lack of moves in the division, on track to be the odds on favorite for the NL Central next year.

• Like 1

And they just got Shelby Miller from the Braves. Rotation's getting pretty loaded.

They trade Goldschmitt for him?

And they just got Shelby Miller from the Braves. Rotation's getting pretty loaded.

Inciarte and someone else, not Goldy.

Inciarte and someone else, not Goldy.

It was the #1 pick in last year's draft, a SS from Vandy.

Pirates lose Neil Walker to the Mets for left hander Jonathon Niese. Pirates, as always, didn't have the money to keep him on a long term extension. Good article in the Post Gazette about how Pittsburgh likes the Pirates and why this is sad- -

http://www.post-gaze...es/201512100084

• Like 1

Pirates lose Neil Walker to the Mets for left hander Jonathon Niese. Pirates, as always, didn't have the money to keep him on a long term extension. Good article in the Post Gazette about how Pittsburgh likes the Pirates and why this is sad- -

Yep...thats just the nature of being a pirates fan. Only way the pirates can keep talent is to buy out last couple of years of Arb (McCutchen, Marte), be able to keep them under team control for an extra couple years, then say farewell when they turn 30-32. For a small market team, its a good strategy. Oh, and of course, take on law paid veteran pitcher reclamation projects (Happ, Volquez, Liriano, Burnett......)

If Niese has a bounce back year, which since hes going to the Pirates its almost expected, we could potentiall pick up his option in 2017 at a bargain of around 10 million....its amazing how many crappy pitchers make 10+ million these day

• Like 1

Leake to Cardinals.....I would expect a bounce back year out of him. St. Louis, San Francisco and Pittsburgh are weird places in that pitchers regularly bounce back when aquired by those franchises
  • Like 1

Yep...thats just the nature of being a pirates fan. Only way the pirates can keep talent is to buy out last couple of years of Arb (McCutchen, Marte), be able to keep them under team control for an extra couple years, then say farewell when they turn 30-32. For a small market team, its a good strategy. Oh, and of course, take on law paid veteran pitcher reclamation projects (Happ, Volquez, Liriano, Burnett......)

If Niese has a bounce back year, which since hes going to the Pirates its almost expected, we could potentiall pick up his option in 2017 at a bargain of around 10 million....its amazing how many crappy pitchers make 10+ million these day

Yeah, looking at what so many pitchers are getting this year, you wonder if Burnett is having second thoughts about his decision. . . he wasn't getting any younger though.

• Like 1

Yankmes get Aroldis Chapman...

Do the Yankees have a starter that can pitch into the 7th inning?

One thats breathing?

Sabathia, if you want to watch someone throw 200 pitches.