Foos cover Tom Sawyer

DrumstickGirl

Evening, everyone. Just spotted this link - the Foo Fighters covered Tom Sawyer at their gig in Rio at the weekend. Even Dave struggled - he needs to practise the Geddy yodel!

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/123864/Cover-Alert-Foo-Fighters-Perform-Tom-Sawyer-By-Rush

Sorry - not sure how to embed a link on the iPad :(

I bet the crowd went apeshit. Apart from Dave forgetting some of the words and them f***ing up the time changes during the guitar solo (they are tricky!), it made me ecstatic to see one of my favorite bands covering my absolute favorite band, and overall not doing a bad job!

For the record, this concert is at the very same stadium Rush recorded the Rio concert at.

On this same night the Foos played a MEAN version of Detroit Rock City, too.

They also played Stay With Me by The Faces and Under Pressure by Queen.

• Like 1

Got about 30 seconds in and had to bail. I always get a laugh at how these bands that are such hardcore fans of Rush go so deep in a rich catalog to cover...Tom Sawyer.
  • Like 1

Got about 30 seconds in and had to bail. I always get a laugh at how these bands that are such hardcore fans of Rush go so deep in a rich catalog to cover...Tom Sawyer.

At least they show their love, even when they f**k up the words. :D

• Like 2

Dave Grohl can rattle off every Rush album in order at the R&R Hall of Fame...I'm not saying they only know Tom Sawyer, I'm saying it's cliché and underwhelming to play such an obvious song. Challenge the audience a bit and go a little deeper. I say this with no slant for or against Foo Fighters as a band.

Some band called Imagine Dragons(?) can go the Tom Sawyer route to expose Rush to an audience.

Dave Grohl can rattle off every Rush album in order at the R&R Hall of Fame...I'm not saying they only know Tom Sawyer, I'm saying it's cliché and underwhelming to play such an obvious song. Challenge the audience a bit and go a little deeper. I say this with no slant for or against Foo Fighters as a band.

Some band called Imagine Dragons(?) can go the Tom Sawyer route to expose Rush to an audience.

If the Foos were to play Between The Wheels would anybody recognize it? This is why they play Tom Sawyer

Edited by Cygnus 2112
  • Like 2

I like the foos and understand why they'd go with a hit to an audience like this. But:

1. They have 6 guys up there sounding emptier and less skilled than 3;

2. A rhythm guitarist/vocalist who messes up the lyrics and sounds horrible on vocals;

3. A dedicated bassist I can't hear;

4. A dedicated keyboardist who seems to have an emptier sound and can't get the timing exactly right; and

5. A dedicated lead guitarist who doesn't sound convincing playing the solos.

The drumming was probably the strongest part of the performance, but it seemed not to be completely right to me, either.

I like you guys, thanks for the thought, but please rehearse next time.

• Like 2

Watched Tom Sawyer, which admittedly wasn't amazing but was a lot of fun, and couldn't shut it off till the whole concert ended. Man, after I see Rush this summer I've got to get myself to a Foos concert. The sheer energy is just outrageous!

:smash:

Rush=can play Tom Sawyer

Food Fighters = :16ton:

Rush: plays Tom Sawyer way too slow and makes it drag on forever

Foo Fighters: play Tom Sawyer worse than I do (actually that's not hard—don't mean to brag)