Alex and His Guitar

Lorraine

Serious

Just wanted to check before I commented. :) I agree they're boring. I don't understand all of the love Slash gets in particular. Especially from guitarists.

I find Slash boring and predictable.My mate is endlessing noodling Sweet Chid Of Mine intro.

Slash is very much a 1970s style guitarist. When GnR exploded on the scene, Slash's style was novel and nostalgic at the same time, but quickly became passé.

I find Slash boring and predictable.My mate is endlessing noodling Sweet Chid Of Mine intro.

That's almost as bad as Smoke on the Water. :boo hiss:

Its become the modern day Smoke on the Water.Mind you i must have driven everyone batshit when i first learned Smoke and ,ahem,Stairway.
  • Like 1

Its become the modern day Smoke on the Water.Mind you i must have driven everyone batshit when i first learned Smoke and ,ahem,Stairway.

Oh yeah I forgot about Stairway. :LOL:

He has a great understanding of chords and knows how to fill space with the right notes so that when there are only two notes being played between he and Geddy, it sounds much bigger. His knowledge of moving partial chords in a melodic fashion is stellar and sometimes complicated and sometimes perfectly simple. Afterimage and Free Will come to mind.
  • Like 1

If you can be objective about yourself, anyone here who is proficient at playing the guitar, do you think you can sound like Alex? Or is he "The Master" that you still aspire to? Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

That's almost as bad as Smoke on the Water. :boo hiss:

Kind of like when people find out you're a drummer... "Oh cool, play Wipeout!" :facepalm:

I have been playing the guitar for most of my life - my Dad played the guitar, and there was always music in the house ( Mom was always always loving Earth, Wind and Fire on the big stereo that was actually considered furniture :)

My Dad loved Les Paul, Chet Atkins, Roy Clark and Steve Howe - of course, I did ( and still do ) too ... these guys were all very diverse in what they could play, Steve Howe and Roy Clark in particular - they could pick up an acoustic guitar, and electric guitar, or basically anything with strings and a neck and make music ...

This is the way I see Alex - he is not confined to one influence, and he is very diverse and creative in creating music ...

The mood he creates with his volume pedal in songs like Xanadu and The Necromancer is brilliant ... His use of classical guitar is wonderful... and the way he uses chords with open strings - moving a certain position up or down the neck, yet leaving certain strings open to ring - is a trademark of his style ...

His brilliance does not come from hours and hours of repetition and practice ala Al DiMeola ( who is great in a different way ) ... Alex has the rare ability to put his personality into his playing and at the same time, make great music from it ...

And for what it's worth - I love Slash too ... he is another guitar that, while not technically brilliant, is able to play effortlessly as if the guitar is simply an extension of HIMSELF ... His solos in November Rain and Night Train are excellent .... He bends strings and gets the most out of his guitar with the best of his kind - very much like Michael Schenker and Roy Buchanon ...

If you can be objective about yourself, anyone here who is proficient at playing the guitar, do you think you can sound like Alex? Or is he "The Master" that you still aspire to?

No way I'll ever be able to sound like him. There are too many variables - having the right "tools" is only a part of it (I'll never be able to afford the kinds of guitars and equipment that Lifeson uses). A lot of a guitarist's style comes from how his or her fingers grip the strings, the body's position, the strength or muscular tensions that go into playing and - as corny as it might sound - how you transfer your passion to the instrument. I think that a person who writes a song "remembers" (not just mentally, but physially and emotionally) how to play it in a way that people who try to copy it will never really quite understand. I know that sounds "out there" but there really is another dimension to music.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 4

If you can be objective about yourself, anyone here who is proficient at playing the guitar, do you think you can sound like Alex? Or is he "The Master" that you still aspire to?

No way I'll ever be able to sound like him. There are too many variables - having the right "tools" is only a part of it (I'll never be able to afford the kinds of guitars and equipment that Lifeson uses). A lot of a guitarists style comes from how his or her fingers grip the strings, the body's position, the strength or muscular tensions that go into playing and - as corny as it might sound - how you transfer your passion to the instrument. I think that a person who writes a song "remembers" (not just mentally, but physially and emotionally) how to play it in a way that people who try to copy it will never really quite understand. I know that sounds "out there" but there really is another dimension to music.

It doesn't sound "out there" to me at all. I understand and think you are probably 100% correct.

That is what makes the difference between a mediocre and a great musician.

No way I'll ever be able to sound like him. There are too many variables - having the right "tools" is only a part of it (I'll never be able to afford the kinds of guitars and equipment that Lifeson uses). A lot of a guitarists style comes from how his or her fingers grip the strings, the body's position, the strength or muscular tensions that go into playing and - as corny as it might sound - how you transfer your passion to the instrument. I think that a person who writes a song "remembers" (not just mentally, but physially and emotionally) how to play it in a way that people who try to copy it will never really quite understand. I know that sounds "out there" but there really is another dimension to music.

It doesn't sound "out there" to me at all. I understand and think you are probably 100% correct.

That is what makes the difference between a mediocre and a great musician.

I always think of that episode of M*A*S*H in which Charles is talking to a patient about music: he says, "I could play the notes, but I couldnt make the music."

• Like 2

I can play his parts and to a point mimic his sounds. That being said, I can not create like him or create anything that sounds like him. I wish I could pull off half of the emotion he puts out in LVS.

• Like 1

I can play in the same style that he does, particularly his earlier stuff, but he has his hands and I have mine, so the nuances that make his parts unique to him are something I'll never be able to duplicate. I don't really aspire to be anyone other than me, but there are players with more technical skill than Alex has that I wish I had under my belt. I'd love to be able to combine, say, Steve Vai's facility on guitar with my sense of musicality.

I can play in the same style that he does, particularly his earlier stuff, but he has his hands and I have mine, so the nuances that make his parts unique to him are something I'll never be able to duplicate. I don't really aspire to be anyone other than me, but there are players with more technical skill than Alex has that I wish I had under my belt. I'd love to be able to combine, say, Steve Vai's facility on guitar with my sense of musicality.

The first time I heard you, I said you reminded me of Alex, so that should be enough compliment for anyone! :LOL: I know you only want to be yourself, but it's still a compliment to be told that. Also, if i remember, I didn't know it was you when I said that.

Edited by Lorraine

The first time I heard you, I said you reminded me of Alex, so that should be enough compliment for anyone! :LOL: I know you only want to be yourself, but it's still a compliment to be told that. Also, if i remember, I didn't know it was you when I said that.

I took it as a compliment. There's no mistaking the influence Alex has had on my playing...and that's not a bad thing in my book!

• Like 1

I took it as a compliment. There's no mistaking the influence Alex has had on my playing...and that's not a bad thing in my book!

JARG, where can we hear your music? I know you've posted a couple of things in the past.

JARG, where can we hear your music? I know you've posted a couple of things in the past.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MDGE9Q0/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PAH2XBM/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Videos for the albums (the vids include the 2 Rush covers we excluded from the for-sale stuff):

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/88809-on-the-horizon/#entry3262089

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/90330-magus-orbis-terrae-hereditas-officially-released/#entry3339239

Audio from my first Rush tribute band:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/90862-a-medley/#entry3380319

Edited by JARG

http://www.amazon.co...=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Videos for the albums (the vids include the 2 Rush covers we excluded from the for-sale stuff):

http://www.therushfo...n/#entry3262089

http://www.therushfo...d/#entry3339239

http://www.therushfo...y/#entry3380319

Nice! Thanks.

http://www.therushfo...n/#entry3262089

http://www.therushfo...d/#entry3339239

http://www.therushfo...y/#entry3380319

Nice! Thanks.

I'd love to hear any feedback you care to provide.

There's a double DVD out there called the RUSH STORY.

It features producers and musicians explaining and demonstrating the genius of Rush's music,

especially Alex's guitar techniques

Mainly Brits involved, so you get a lot more than Gene Simmon's "Rush are Rush"

all I know is Alex is the under-rated third of Rush. Ged and Neil are always called the best in their game but Alex rules the "under-rated" category!

I know pretty much nothing about playing guitar but I'm still going to say his stuff is very difficult to write/play. I get a good impression of this just by watching his fingers!

also; with Geddy and Neils's parts being so upfront and in your face, Alex had to assume the role of filling in the empty space and rhythm playing etc.. instead of being a shredder like his hero's. I wonder if this was hard for him to do or if he even enjoyed it. its a good thing it happened though because Alex is hugely responsible for everyone saying "wow, it sounds like way more than three people!"

I've posted this before, but it makes sense to re-post here. The link takes you to a bass & drum-only version of Digital Man. I think it perfectly demonstrates your point of how Alex fills the space perfectly around Geddy and Neil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIN6Yt6iV3U

• Like 1

BTW JARG on a personal note, I always like when you wander out here amongst the bourgeoisie and break away from the SOCN for a moment.

Slumming?

:D

• Like 2