Alex and His Guitar

Lorraine

Can someone put on their headphones and listen to Subdivisions? I can't tell if that is a guitar on the right side at the beginning or part of the keyboards.

The guitar comes in with the drums.

Can someone put on their headphones and listen to Subdivisions? I can't tell if that is a guitar on the right side at the beginning or part of the keyboards.

So that is the guitar that is on the right side that I am hearing? I wish I knew the notes to tell you what I am talking about. I mention this because it is the first time I am noticing it.

So that is the guitar that is on the right side that I am hearing?

I'm sure it is.

Don't think Lorraine will be able to listen to that, Jarg - unless you're no longer on dial-up Lorraine?

Yeah, I know...I'm posting for anyone whose interested.

• Like 1

Yup, playing the same F# power chord, or whatever - matches the keyboard riff, just more distorted/chorussy (or maybe that's a "phaser"). For reference, Hemispheres also starts with an F# chord, but I think that one's called a suspended chord, or something like that.

Edited by toymaker

Yup, playing the same F# power chord, or whatever - matches the keyboard riff, just more distorted/chorussy (or maybe that's a "phaser").

It's either heavily chorused or flanged, maybe.

I used to play guitar and my father played bass

Mama played fiddle..? Lol ;)

Someone, somewhere, a long time ago said the sign that a guitarist had written something legendary was if people could sing your solo. Alex has a catalog of solos that fit into that category.

As a guitar student, I would always want my teacher to work out Rush songs with me, and let's just say that it would take him longer to figure out the exact chords Alex was playing than virtually anything else I'd ask to learn, and that he uses a lot of "inverted" chords.

Welcome to TRF!

Thanks! I am really enjoying it so far. :ebert:

• Like 1

The difficult thing with Alex's solos is that he doesn't play in boxes. Most guitarists play in boxes in whatever key the song is in, example is Jimmy Page, blues scales or pentatonic scales. Another example is Dave Gilmour, I don't know note for note the solo but I can find the key and play the scale and eventually figure out the solo. But Alex, from Permanent Waves onwards is playing incredible, atonal stuff that sounds like Stephan Grapelli. My favourite is that burst of lead in the third part of Natural Science.
  • Like 1

But Alex, from Permanent Waves onwards is playing incredible, atonal stuff ...

Tas, what do you mean by "atonal stuff"?

My favourite is that burst of lead in the third part of Natural Science.

Can you listen to the song and give me the time so that I can know what you are specifically referring to?

The second La Villa solo is pretty cool and messed up - Lifeson reinforces, with his body, how bizarre and manic that thing is when he plays it live.

Alex is a god, check out Andy Powell from Wishbone Ash, a close second, the man is brilliant!!!!!

Those early Ash albums with Andy Powell and Ted Turner were great.Argus is the album to get.Once they got to the middle of the 70s it's bit hit or miss.Andy's still running the Ash but it's very blues based and far away from what Rush are about. But ,yes, Mr Powell is a great guitarist

Please check out Elegant Stealth (2011) fantastic album and Andy,s playing is superb!

The second La Villa solo is pretty cool and messed up - Lifeson reinforces, with his body, how bizarre and manic that thing is when he plays it live.

I love the faces he makes when he plays that. :LOL:

• Like 2

Atonal: marked by avoidance of traditional musical tonality; especially : organized without reference to key or tonal center and using the tones of the chromatic scale impartially. Example; solo in Tom Sawyer, first atonal solo I recognized is in Something by The Beatles.

6:30 in Natural Science Lorraine.

• Like 1

Atonal: marked by avoidance of traditional musical tonality; especially : organized without reference to key or tonal center and using the tones of the chromatic scale impartially. Example; solo in Tom Sawyer, first atonal solo I recognized is in Something by The Beatles.

Somehow I doubt this explanation is going to help her understand what it is. I know what atonal means, and this didn't make sense to me. :LOL: It is a hard thing to explain. Easy to recognize when you hear it but hard to put into words.

I guess if I had to explain it myself is that he doesn't play what you expect to hear. His phrasing and the notes he chooses are not typical for what a guitarist would generally choose. It's one of the first things I noticed when I started listening to them. He really plays outside of the box of what a typical rock guitarist would do.

• Like 2

Somehow I doubt this explanation is going to help her understand what it is. I know what atonal means, and this didn't make sense to me. :LOL: It is a hard thing to explain. Easy to recognize when you hear it but hard to put into words.

I guess if I had to explain it myself is that he doesn't play what you expect to hear. His phrasing and the notes he chooses are not typical for what a guitarist would generally choose. It's one of the first things I noticed when I started listening to them. He really plays outside of the box of what a typical rock guitarist would do.

My guitar teacher has said that he will add a note here and there that is outside of the scale he is playing. Maybe that's what you mean?

• Like 1

My guitar teacher has said that he will add a note here and there that is outside of the scale he is playing. Maybe that's what you mean?

That's closer to what Alex does, for sure. Most of the notes in most of Alex's solos can be mapped to a given scale, but he'll sometimes add out-of-scale notes for tension/expression.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 2

Yes Eaglemoon then you realize how uninspiring and predictable guitarists such as Richie Sambora and Slash are.

Are you being serious or sarcastic?