Alex and His Guitar

Lorraine

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If someone jokingly accused me of wanting to piss on Alex's guitar, I wouldn't be fazed at all.

You're a man.

True, but I don't think that alone explains it.

I disagree. I think that's enough of an explanation.

• Like 1

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. If someone jokingly accused me of wanting to piss on Alex's guitar, I wouldn't be fazed at all.

You're a man.

If there are women, and I have no doubt that there are, who are comfortable with this, swell.

I'm not one of them, and I didn't think it was funny.

• Like 2

the only info i retained about Al's guitar is that some crazy b*tch p*ssed on it once.... pretty sure you would do that too given the opportunity lorraine :)

What a stupid post. Why the hell would you say that to her?

The smilie at the end makes me think he meant it as a joke.

I thought of that, but I'm thinking he doesn't know Lorraine well enough to make that joke. Lorraine's reaction would seem to back that up.

Heck I think I know Lorraine a fair bit and posting something like that wouldn't even be in the depths of the back of my mind. Wow is all I got...
  • Like 2

You're a man.

If there are women, and I have no doubt that there are, who are comfortable with this, swell.

I'm glad you got my point.

the only info i retained about Al's guitar is that some crazy b*tch p*ssed on it once.... pretty sure you would do that too given the opportunity lorraine :)

What a stupid post. Why the hell would you say that to her?

Agreed. That was twisted and weird and insulting.

• Like 1

You're a man.

So you're a woman that doesn't have a problem with it? ;)

Edited by EagleMoon

You're a man.

That's between me and my beautician. :)

• Like 1

You're a man.

That's between me and my beautician. :)

I apparently need one of those if you have seen any pics of me lately.... ;)
  • Like 1

It sounds kind of low is the reason I am asking. I wasn't sure if it was Geddy plucking or Alex.

Geddy don't pluck.. He pecks! Like a crazed chicken in overdrive!!

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

It sounds kind of low is the reason I am asking. I wasn't sure if it was Geddy plucking or Alex.

Geddy don't pluck.. He pecks! Like a crazed chicken in overdrive!!

You're right. The guitarist from The Police plucks. I got them confused. :LOL: ;)

• Like 1

I personally think it is the complexity of Alex's style not necessarily the complexity of the music structure and we all know Rush has a complex musical structure. To me it is how he has learned to make sounds on a guitar that a guitar was intended to and never meant to do in the same song ( & time sometimes) and make it work. How many of us have been suprised when we learned that one of our favorite sounds of a song was actually Alex's guitar ? :hi: I remember when R&RHOF induction ceremonies were coming to a close and all the inductees jamming Crossroads. Nancy Wilson of Heart was standing by lerxt both with guitars and workin it, and she kept looking at him with an questoning facial expression like I hear what you're doin over there but I see what your doin and it's not adding up. That's what I'm talkin about... :Alex: + :Neil: + :geddy: = :rush: Edited by Crimsonmistymemory

If you can be objective about yourself, anyone here who is proficient at playing the guitar, do you think you can sound like Alex? Or is he "The Master" that you still aspire to?

I can play in the same style that he does, particularly his earlier stuff, but he has his hands and I have mine, so the nuances that make his parts unique to him are something I'll never be able to duplicate. I don't really aspire to be anyone other than me, but there are players with more technical skill than Alex has that I wish I had under my belt. I'd love to be able to combine, say, Steve Vai's facility on guitar with my sense of musicality.

So you have a better sense of music that Steve Vai? WOW!

If you can be objective about yourself, anyone here who is proficient at playing the guitar, do you think you can sound like Alex? Or is he "The Master" that you still aspire to?

I can play in the same style that he does, particularly his earlier stuff, but he has his hands and I have mine, so the nuances that make his parts unique to him are something I'll never be able to duplicate. I don't really aspire to be anyone other than me, but there are players with more technical skill than Alex has that I wish I had under my belt. I'd love to be able to combine, say, Steve Vai's facility on guitar with my sense of musicality.

I don't recall where I said either was better. Mine is mine, however.

I don't recall where I said either was better. Mine is mine, however.

sees to me like you were implying that either yours was superior or that his was inferior...he's pretty much a quintessential guitarist wouldn't ya say? a true virtuoso? were you saying you'd like to have his chops?

I'm not sure i'd agree that Vai is the quintessential guitarist, he does what he does very well and is certainly a virtuoso on the instrument but there are certainly others that do fit this category although not too many that's for sure, Guthrie Govan is one!
  • Like 1

So as not to derail Led's thread about Neil, I am asking this question here.

Eagle wrote:

In this band all three of them are the rhythm players at different times. Sometimes Alex will be playing a rhythm part while Geddy plays a busy part on top, then Neil will doing a off beat drum part to fill in the spaces the other two leave open in the music. All three switch back-and-forth between all three roles in different songs or even different parts of ther same song. All three are timekeepers at different times in the songs or another words, they keep the basic rhythm going in the song but it switches off between them.

Can someone please give me some Rush song examples where the three of them switch back and forth as timekeepers, and point out where the switch takes place, so that I can know and learn what you are talking about?

Thank you. :)

Edited by Lorraine

I've learned Tom Sawyer, Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres, The Anarchist, and am currently learning Natural Science, La VIlla Strangiato and Xanadu. From these examples, I can say that I find his guitar parts quite brilliant, the use of open chords and arpeggios in these songs are amazing. I've always loved his arpeggios.
  • Like 1

Eagle wrote:

In this band all three of them are the rhythm players at different times. Sometimes Alex will be playing a rhythm part while Geddy plays a busy part on top, then Neil will doing a off beat drum part to fill in the spaces the other two leave open in the music. All three switch back-and-forth between all three roles in different songs or even different parts of ther same song. All three are timekeepers at different times in the songs or another words, they keep the basic rhythm going in the song but it switches off between them.

Can someone please give me some Rush song examples where the three of them switch back and forth as timekeepers, and point out where the switch takes place, so that I can know and learn what you are talking about?

All in the same song, might be tricky, but Driven starts out with Alex setting the tempo and then a little later time-keeping falls to Geddy (during the bass interlude).

• Like 1

Eagle wrote:

All in the same song, might be tricky, but Driven starts out with Alex setting the tempo and then a little later time-keeping falls to Geddy (during the bass interlude).

Is there a song when Geddy is strictly the "timekeeper"? Or Alex?

Eagle wrote:

Is there a song when Geddy is strictly the "timekeeper"? Or Alex?

Alex is strictly the time-keeper in Hope. ;)

• Like 1