Clockwork Angels - Might actually be better than Moving Pictures

clem

I tried listening to CA in the car last night ...kept dicking around with the EQ (my car has really good factory 10 speaker Sony sound) and its just as fatiguing on the ears if not worse then VT. I can't make it through one song much less all of them in one listen.

Exactly. Very ear fatiguing. It's like trying to listen to a constant jackhammer.

yep the production ruined the album for me. It was a mistake to let Nick mix it.

• Like 4

Clockwork Angels...

...the most forgotten overhyped on release album I have seen in years.

Seriously, away from this forum I never see it mentioned anywhere.

• Like 2

Clockwork Angels...

i joined when it was released. and the worship here nearly drove me off. thank god it fairly quickly died off, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Clockwork Angels...

Away from this forum, I rarely see Rush mentioned anywhere...but that's just me
  • Like 3

Clockwork Angels...

I follow on Facebook classic rock and metal news pages and they come up from time to time and it's always about the classics.

Clockwork Angels...

I follow on Facebook classic rock and metal news pages and they come up from time to time and it's always about the classics.

Well, that makes sense :LOL:

Clockwork Angels...

Well, that makes sense :LOL:

Yes but Classic Rock magazine also focuses modern bands like Alter Bridge, Black Stone Cherry, Opeth and other bands, and hypes up new releases and modern classics.

I tried listening to CA in the car last night ...kept dicking around with the EQ (my car has really good factory 10 speaker Sony sound) and its just as fatiguing on the ears if not worse then VT. I can't make it through one song much less all of them in one listen.

Exactly. Very ear fatiguing. It's like trying to listen to a constant jackhammer.

yep the production ruined the album for me. It was a mistake to let Nick mix it.

I'm still perplexed how a band like Rush who....more or less...have always been pretty particular about how their albums sound were OK with the shit mix job Fanboy Nick R did with Clockwork. I seriously don't understand how any of them or anyone from the label or whoever listened to the final mix and signed off on it. My high school music projects when I was 17 were better sounding than that.

For example...the 'Geddy talking through a speaker phone' part of the title song...I can't make out a single word of it. Not one. Why? What was the point?

Nick sucks and shouldn't be allowed in the same studio with them ever again. Snakes was pretty crappy too but the use of acoustic guitars on many of the songd didn't make it quite as obvious as the heavier Clockwork songs

• Like 2

Don't get me started on the production. i don't know who's responsible for the sonic screw job that record is should be beaten severely.

I assume Rush just left after laying down their tracks........because i would hope they have better ears then that.......either that or they didn't care. which is worse. like CA was just a job.

either way. disgraceful results.

Mick

• Like 1

Don't get me started on the production. i don't know who's responsible for the sonic screw job that record is should be beaten severely.

I assume Rush just left after laying down their tracks........because i would hope they have better ears then that.......either that or they didn't care. which is worse. like CA was just a job.

Mick

I do like your ranty side!!

• Like 1

Mick

i have not went off in a while........because CA isn't talked about much anymore, lol

takes me back

Mick

Mick

i have not went off in a while........because CA isn't talked about much anymore, lol

takes me back

Mick

Hint: I resurrected this thread

Go check hahaha

• Like 1

I listened to it this afternoon/evening, and I disagree with you lot!

Yes, it's heavy- it was produced to sound heavy. It is, for the most part, a bone-crusher of an album.

Kicks every kind of butt I can think of. I love it!

• Like 1

It is the greatest album of THIS century by Rush.

Which ranks it below any studio record from the last century by Rush.

Yes, it's heavy- it was produced to sound heavy.

The songs were heavy enough on their own. All that extra noise added nothing positive whatsoever. In fact, I'd say Rush paid Nick R good money to literally strangle the life out of their songs.

Listen to the mix on the Caravan/BU2B single that came out prior to the album. SO much better! It's the way the whole thing should've sounded.

• Like 2

The songs were heavy enough on their own. All that extra noise added nothing positive whatsoever. In fact, I'd say Rush paid Nick R good money to literally strangle the life out of their songs.

Listen to the mix on the Caravan/BU2B single that came out prior to the album. SO much better! It's the way the whole thing should've sounded.

Exactly. Thoes single versions are a million times better.

yea Nick sucked the life out of those and everyhing else.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

He did produce a really great Evanescence album the year before which sounds great...and Trivium- The Crusade...which sounds great...

• Like 1

Mick

He did produce a really great Evanescence album the year before which sounds great...and Trivium- The Crusade...which sounds great...

i should mention. he CAN be a good producer. Snakes ana Arrows sounded good, he's done a bunch of other stuff that sounded great.

So i know he can be good. don't know what happened here, lol

Mick

Yes, it's heavy- it was produced to sound heavy. It is, for the most part, a bone-crusher of an album.

Kicks every kind of butt I can think of. I love it!

:goodone: :haz: :rush:

• Like 1

I thought Vapor Trails was quite weak for Rush, although it has grown on me and the remix was a big improvement. Snakes and Arrows was a very good album that nevertheless still felt like a Rush that wasn't quite hitting on all cylinders overall.

But Clockwork Angels was different. This is my favorite album since the eighties. I was actually wondering if I was clouded by my adolescence, since music rarely hits the same way for older adults like it does for the young. Clockwork Angels is stellar, and it works perfectly like a Rush album for me.

It's not new fan blindness, I've been a big fan for more than twenty years.

I'm not a last gasp apologist, either. Because I didn't know it was their probable last album and I didn't have the same feeling about Snakes.

For whatever reason I am a big fan of CA. Sometimes older artists put out great albums.

Ray Davies with Working Man's Cafe. Bowie's last few albums. This one was very good.

• Like 3

Mick

i should mention. he CAN be a good producer. Snakes ana Arrows sounded good, he's done a bunch of other stuff that sounded great.

Mick

I think Nick R. also wanted Geddy to push his voice like he was channeling the 70's...bad idea Nick, you fanboy...

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

I think Nick R. also wanted Geddy to push his voice like he was channeling the 70's...bad idea Nick, you fanboy...

Yea ged had already blown his voice........so the result is just cringy most times.

WIIIISH THEEEEM WELLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!

ouch.

Mick

• Like 1