Let Us All Gather To Gush Over Presto!

Segue Myles

A brilliant drumming album. Lots of subtle intricacies everywhere; creative, thoughtful drumming marred only be an anemic snare production.

I thought it was more the actual snare drum that Neil was using (I've seen it called the 'piccolo snare'), rather than the way it was produced.

I believe he used it on Presto and Roll the Bones, and that was it.

A brilliant drumming album. Lots of subtle intricacies everywhere; creative, thoughtful drumming marred only be an anemic snare production.

I thought it was more the actual snare drum that Neil was using (I've seen it called the 'piccolo snare'), rather than the way it was produced.

I believe he used it on Presto and Roll the Bones, and that was it.

Good - because it had diminutive balls. Apparently, he was using a Slingerland, though I don't know if it was the same Slingerland he'd been using for ages.

http://andrewolson.com/Neil_Peart/drums/drumkits/presto.htm

The drumming on Presto is so good, I love the epic fill Neil does in Anagram right after Ged goes high and sings "the saint turns to sin"
  • Like 1

I don't think the record sounds bad either........no no they would perfect weakness on RTB, lol

Mick

I think i would love RTB if it sounded more like Presto.

• Like 1

Good - because it had diminutive balls.

:o

I like that it is unique to those songs, and to that period of time. I'm a drummer also, and I can see how some might not care for that sound. But in the case of Presto, I actually think it's just right.

The overall production of Presto is rather thin compared to anything that Terry Brown did with them, sure. But I still say that Presto is a gorgeous album in its own right.

• Like 1

Good - because it had diminutive balls.

:o

I like that it is unique to those songs, and to that period of time. I'm a drummer also, and I can see how some might not care for that sound. But in the case of Presto, I actually think it's just right.

The overall production of Presto is rather thin compared to anything that Terry Brown did with them, sure. But I still say that Presto is a gorgeous album in its own right.

Me too. the first thing that drew me to this album was the sound.........i said wow this is unique. the best thing on here....i say again.......is Neil's drum sound. So freakin' cool.

Mick

• Like 2

Nice boot from the Presto tour (Alpine Valley)

I enjoyed hearing those Presto songs live.

Cool - was at this show, stayed at the Alpine Valley Resort and partied like a Rush fan :)

Hard to believe I was barely 20 at the time!!

Even harder to believe they are still going strong...

As for Presto – it restored my faith in the band and remains one of my all-time favorites.

• Like 2

Cool - was at this show, stayed at the Alpine Valley Resort and partied like a Rush fan :)

As for Presto – it restored my faith in the band and remains one of my all-time favorites.

The Presto tour was the first time I ever saw Rush live- it was about a month before my 17th birthday, in Cincinnati. I have a recording of most of the show (I think the last half hour or so is missing)- the sound quality is not all that good, but I love having a recording of my first Rush show. Love the album, loved that tour.

• Like 1

Hard to believe I could ever read print that small without glasses. :unsure:

bring back show dont tell

Good call! Love the bass on this (what I can hear of it anyway:/)

Edited by MMCXII

Video from Presto tour. Not the greatest quality but not the worst, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoFmCocTs0

I may be in the minority, but I wish Alex would go back to using the PRS guitars. I liked his tone better.

• Like 1

Video from Presto tour. Not the greatest quality but not the worst, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VoFmCocTs0

I may be in the minority, but I wish Alex would go back to using the PRS guitars. I liked his tone better.

I would love if he recorded their next album with them. They're beautiful instruments and they sound amazing Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

OMG The Pass! (Gush gush gush), all the drums in Scars! (Gush gush gush), That groovy bass break in Show don't tell that you can hardly hear (gush gush gush),

I thought HYF was a great album when it was released but i soon felt it was overproduced and a bit stodgy.I was pleasantly surprised when Presto was more stripped back but as mentioned everywhere the production was on the thin side.I remember i had to really crank the volume on the first side of vinyl(it said so on the fine print on the cover!).Presto had a spacial ambience and so many nuances to it,something which is missing today particularly with CA.I may be in the minority here but i love all their 90s stuff.How the hell did Toto get thrown into this debate?