Anyone here that doesn't like Hemispheres?

Lorraine

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Hemispheres?

Disk, are there any songs on the album that you like?

Of course! La Villa Strangiato is the greatest instrumental ever! And The Trees is awesome, too. Circumstances…is okay. Side one is the problem!

Based on this you obviously like aspects of the album.

You anger me.

I am now adding butterflies to the noose!

You made me do it...

Of course! La Villa Strangiato is the greatest instrumental ever! And The Trees is awesome, too. Circumstances…is okay. Side one is the problem!

What is it specifically about the song that you don't like?

Listen to Alex at 1:18. Those chords don't wrap themselves around you?

• Like 1

Hurry up and cast your "no" vote. Let us get this whole tawdry matter over.

Sharpening the knives as we type (not as easy as I thought, I'd have you know!)

What Moody Blues' tune will you be yodeling?

I vote for "I'm Just a Singer in a Rock and Roll Band".

• Like 1

Getting back to the original question, do I like Hemispheres? Obviously yes.

The title track is ok, good, decent. Not as good as side one of 2112. Not close. Not as good as side 1 of either AFTK or FBN. But its is fine. No problems with it. Just not great.

Side 2 of the album is wonderful. It makes the album. Very, very, very strong.

So yes, of course I like the album. Just not as much as many here.

• Like 1

What is it specifically about the song that you don't like?

Listen to Alex at 1:18. Those chords don't wrap themselves around you?

The lyrics aren't particularly interesting to me, and the whole song sounds very disjointed :imo:. I've said before that everything is fine up until the "DING!"

• Like 1

Have you guys been talking about me behind my back?

Why yes

Private message to YYZumbi:

Sent 12 December 2014 - 01:07 AM

Do you think Disk98 belongs with the 90% Jerks?

YYZumbi's Response:

Sent 12 December 2014 - 06:15 AM

Of course!

What the...?

Have you guys been talking about me behind my back?

Why yes

Private message to YYZumbi:

Sent 12 December 2014 - 01:07 AM

Do you think Disk98 belongs with the 90% Jerks?

YYZumbi's Response:

Sent 12 December 2014 - 06:15 AM

Of course!

What the...?

SG, if this isn't a joke, I'm pretty sure posting PM's for everyone to see is a big no-no.

• Like 1

Hemispheres is the epitome of Rush albums. It's their tip of the mountaintop, the Oscar winning performance, or the peak of their musical journey. None of their other albums have come close to the divine bliss that is this musical adventure. :D
  • Like 6

my reply is coming.......just checking to see if i still like the song..........it's been about 2 months since i've listened to any Rush And i don't want any Hemispheres fans carrying my flag if sonethings changed.

Please hold, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 4

Hemispheres is the epitome of Rush albums. It's their tip of the mountaintop, the Oscar winning performance, or the peak of their musical journey. None of their other albums have come close to the divine bliss that is this musical adventure. :D

I agree with everything except for the "None of their other albums have come close" part.

• Like 1

my reply is coming.......just checking to see if i still like the song..........it's been about 2 months since i've listened to any Rush And i don't want any Hemispheres fans carrying my flag if sonethings changed.

Please hold, lol

Mick

Do did such a big Segue I will slap you if you turn again!

• Like 2

Please hold, lol

Mick

Will you please hurry up! :rage:

• Like 1

I am kind of amazed it has three votes. Even when I battled with the title track, side two by itself would have made an excellent EP!

It is impossible to be a Rush fan, and not like at least part of this album!

I think those three confuse like for love.

Ok........The Major vote is back, lol

so........"rubs hands together"........sorry for the extremely long wait. Had a busy couple of days and i just listened to the song twice in a row.. To be absolutely certain of my feelings. Cause as you all know things can change.....SEGUE, lol

I am here to say......THE WINNER AND STILL REINING RUSH SONG......HEMISPHERES!!!!!!!!!!

lol

With that said story time. Gather round Narps, Lorraine, Segue........Segue put the damn cupcakes down!!!!!

I hated this song.........with a passion. I thought this was the absolute worst epic they'd ever recorded and the fact that fans ranked it so high was a source of just bewilderment and frustration. It was long and boring. Didn't go anywhere. and i just hated it.

Then a couple months ago. I marathon-ed Rush's entire Discography in 3 days on headphones. When i queued up Hemispheres on my Itunes and hesitantly hit play. What washed over me was almost a religious experience.......and those of you that don't know i am not a religious person. This is what my boy Segue most feel like on a constant basis, lol

I played it again to make sure i didn't just have Hemispheres empathy or something........nope the magic was there. the door had opened and i had finally come into a song that had Eluded me.

That's the other thing. When you finally get Hemispheres. You don't listen to it.....you Step INTO it. It goes to your veins and you feel what they were trying to make and 20 mins isn't nearly long enough.

And that acoustic ending bucks all notions of the bombastic epic conclusion and bookends the epic's period amazingly. A lullaby to the epics as it were.

So.........it is with confidence and pride that i click the yes option and know that to me no Rush song can ever reach the pinnacle of Hemispheres.........My fav Rush song.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 7

*squeels with delight*

That experience is exactly what I feel with Topographic Oceans and CoS.

Must play Hems again (it grew on me immensely recently, but prior to that I always really liked it so...Bluefoxy Mickyroo did the Major Segue.)

• Like 1

Yodel-ey-e-o

Yodel-eh-eh-o-ooooo

(The song is YYZ)

It is? :ph34r:

My bad...it was that one long song from Snakes and Arrows.

O wait, that album has thirteen tracks? My bad!

Not a bad album, but Geddy is at his worst vocally. While some may not like his screeching on the early albums, I much prefer that over how he sings on Hemispheres.