Anyone here that doesn't like Hemispheres?

Lorraine

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Hemispheres?

:blah: 35 "yes" votes. 0 "no" votes.

Disk, this is looking very, very bad for you. Perhaps you should give Hemispheres a spin on the turntable one more time and see if you missed something?

He has a 165 IQ so he knows better than everyone else.

I wish we could speak freely on albums here without being labelled wrong.

I do not think Hemispheres is the bands best work.

It is one of their best works.

Screw any who say i am wrong.

Segue, you really have to stop this. Do you think this is serious? This is all tongue in cheek. Just a way to have a few "lolsies". I don't care what you, or Disk, or anyone else likes. Although I do admit that it boggles my mind how anyone couldn't like Hemispheres. And Xanadu. Or The Weapon.

We all have different taste in music. If we didn't, Rush would have had to have closed up shop thirty years ago.

• Like 2

Segue, you really have to stop this. Do you think this is serious? This is all tongue in cheek. Just a way to have a few "lolsies". I don't care what you, or Disk, or anyone else likes. Although I do admit that it boggles my mind how anyone couldn't like Hemispheres. And Xanadu. Or The Weapon.

We all have different taste in music. If we didn't, Rush would have had to have closed up shop thirty years ago.

Taken note of this!

There's no real point in looking for some objective yardstick against which to measure what's best or worst. It's more about emotional intelligence than objective standards or "IQ" or whatever. Probably everyone here has some reason for loving certain songs or albums that's tied to a time in their life when they were in a good (or bad) place, or just young, or at a time when they were ready to discover something new and cool. To say someone is "wrong" or "less right" for saying something is the best is pretty much like saying what they feel is wrong, which is bogus. We feel what we feel. I try not to let my ego get bruised if someone thinks I'm cracked for digging Red Lenses, and I hope that when I say things like "Toto's song Georgy Porgy gives me a painful rash" folks understand that one dude's response is pretty meaningless in the big cosmic picture.

Everything people write here has an invisible "in my opinion" stuck on the front of it.

:finbar:

• Like 4

Hemispheres is Rush do opera like Wagner, listen to Geddy run out of oxygen when he sings, "I will soothe your primal fears."

That is one of my favorite parts of the song. I love the way Geddy sings that line. I am going to listen to Hemispheres right now to see if I can hear that he is in fact running out of oxygen when he sings it.

• Like 1

Georgy Porgy is cheese rock perfection. Fact (IMO lol!)

No argument from me. I just don't enjoy that kind of cheese rock, no matter how expensive the cracker may be. It makes me break out in hives. I need a soothing balm. Something like Hemispheres, perhaps.

Hemispheres is Rush do opera like Wagner, listen to Geddy run out of oxygen when he sings, "I will soothe your primal fears."

He donates his oxygen to me. Hemispheres is like oxygen. It's cleansing and nourishing. Like Lorraine, I'm going to give it a listen, too. I like hearing Lee pour everything he has into a musical performance, to put himself into that kind of danger.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 2

I'm listening to it right now. I'm almost tempted to say that once they recorded Hemispheres, they were never the same. Alex outdid himself on that album.

Magic, chemistry, power, marathon endurance, and sweat.

Not to mention grace under pressure.

Edited by toymaker

I don't hear him running out of oxygen at all. What am I missing?

I'm not quite hearing it either - maybe the very end of "fears" is not totally articulated; the preceding line is pretty long, but there is a small space to take a quick gulp of air.

It's a powerful performance, though - I'd imagine Lee would've been pretty lightheaded at the end of it, especially live.

• Like 1

:blah: 35 "yes" votes. 0 "no" votes.

Disk, this is looking very, very bad for you. Perhaps you should give Hemispheres a spin on the turntable one more time and see if you missed something?

He has a 165 IQ so he knows better than everyone else.

You mean the second grader Disk98 :)

• Like 1

:blah: Forty (4 0) Hemispheres yes votes.

And KennyLee hasn't even shown up yet. He is worth at least two votes himself... :madra:
  • Like 2