DAVID LEE ROTH VS. VAN HALEN! The 1986-1988 Years: "Eat 'Em" "Skyscraper" VS. "5150" "OU812"

RUSHHEAD666

VAN HAGAR VS DAVID LEE ROTH: THE 1986-1988 Years!  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which Two Albums Do You Love The Most?

• DAVID LEE ROTH: "Eat 'Em And Smile" and "Skyscraper"
    • VAN HAGAR: "5150" And "OU812"
    • NONE! ALL FOUR OF THESE ALBUMS ARE SHIT!

So kids which two albums to love more? It's quite a simple poll.

Back in 1986 Van Hagar released their first album in 1986 entitled "5150." In that same year David Lee Roth released "Eat 'Em And Smile." Of course this record featured the guitar slinging duties by Steve Vai. You could also go as far to put up the two heavyweights together: STEVE VAI VS EDDiE VAN HALEN.

So then in 1988 both bands released their next albums. Van Hagar with "OU812" and Diamond Dave with "Skyscraper."

Which two records are better? Which are your favorite? There is no mixing or matching. It's two albums vs two album in the Eighties.

For those who know me my answer is quite simple and easy:

DAVID LEE ROTH!!!!!!!!! It's not even close. VAN HAGAR/ SAM HALEN absolutely SUCKS!

I know I know, I am sure some of you Van Hagar Fanbois would love to tell me to "F.U.C.K." OFF! LOL!!!

Or perhaps I should just "POUNDCAKE!" Hahahaha!

Eat ´em and Smile > 5150

OU812 > Skyscraper.

Had Dave repeated the formula of Eat ´em and Smile on Skyscraper, Vai and Sheehan would have never left, and maybe he could have saved his solo career. He started firing on all cylinders, but each record was worse than its predecessor.

• Like 2

As I kid, I loved the DLR stuff, definitely more than the first two Hagar albums (which I also liked). But in hindsight, the DLR material is way too goofy and dated. The sammy albums, especially 5150, still hold up and are a great listen. Voted for those.

Van Hagar. Eat 'Em Smile is excellent, but Skyscraper is not very good. If this was just about the first albums, I might give DLR the nod. But we have to judge 2 v 2, so this turns into a blowout.

I like Van Halen with Hagar, although I prefer the Roth years by a stretch. i really don't get the need to have to like one OR the other. I feel fortunate enough to find quality in both....

As for the question, it's close. Neither a fan of OU812 a whole lot nor Skyscraper. That's a wash. I slightly prefer 5150 to Eat Em & Smile, so I voted for VH.

Edited by Presto-digitation
  • Like 1

I like Van Halen with Hagar, although I prefer the Roth years by a stretch. i really don't get the need to have to like one OR the other. I feel fortunate enough to find quality in both....

As for the question, it's close. Neither a fan of OU812 a whole lot nor Skyscraper. That's a wash. I slightly prefer 5150 to Eat Em & Smile, so I voted for VH.

My thoughts exactly.
  • Like 1

Van Hagar. Eat 'Em Smile is excellent, but Skyscraper is not very good. If this was just about the first albums, I might give DLR the nod. But we have to judge 2 v 2, so this turns into a blowout.

Come on Led! Have a "Hot Dog And A Shake!" Kai's guitar solo steals the show on this underrated hard rock classic!

I think Vai might be able to take Eddie in a Guitar Duel! At least Vai doesn't waste his time with crappy keyboard compositions!

Van Hagar is SHITE! I used to love "5150" when I was a senior in high school. Now I can't even stomach that poppy poop!! Alex Van Halen playing on Simmons electronic pads. Fukking useless like tits on a bull.

I saw the "5150 Tour. BTO opened. BTO BLEW VAN SHITGAR AWAY! Alex's drum solo was so stupid. He just played as fast as he could on electronic pads. He had a million clear octobans. Didn't hit them once.

"Humans Being" in shite.

Sammy Hagar < David Lee Roth

Eddie Van Halen < Steve Vai

Michael Anthony < Billy Sheehan

Alex Van Halen < Gregg Bissonette

Steve Vai is better than EVH? Egads Earl. Vai is so bloodless. He actually played himself in the movie Crossroads. Lots of flash, but no emotion behind it.

Not to derail your thread, but EVH is the single most influential rock guitarist ever IMO.

• Like 1

Regarding the OP, I like both the Roth and Hagar eras, although I prefer the first Roth era. 5150 is a great album, but Eat Em and Smile is more like a VH album. Skyscraper just isn't a great album, and I do like OU812. So maybe on this topic I'd have to say it's a tie.

You guys are nuts! Even "A Little Ain't Enough" is an excellent album!

OU812 has a few solid songs but "Finish What Ya Started?" Are you kidding me? One of the worst songs ever made!!!!!

Now that you mention it, A Little Ain´t Enough is a kickass album. It´s a shame Dave couldn´t tour with Jason Becker. They would be awesome on stage. But by the time this one was released, grunge was already settling in, and Dave went on tour with a band torn to pieces: no Sheehan, no Jason Becker, and some guy named Joe Holmes on guitar. A friend of mine had tickets to a concert in Orlando which got cancelled - only 36 tickets sold. Then he started a residency in Vegas, came up with "Your Filthy Little Mouth" which aimed on all directions - country, reggae, blues, folk, old standards etc., never actually hitting the target.

Steve Vai is better than EVH? Egads Earl. Vai is so bloodless. He actually played himself in the movie Crossroads. Lots of flash, but no emotion behind it.

Not to derail your thread, but EVH is the single most influential rock guitarist ever IMO.

vai is definitely a better guitarist. now, who's been involved with more good music? EVH of course. but vai's got some really good stuff with frank zappa (he joined zappa's band when he was 18 or 19), and I think passion and warfare is pretty decent as far as wank records go.

and as for the all flash, no emotion thing, I've said similar stuff before but recently I've come to realize that no one can accurately measure a guitarist's "soul" so I try to stay away from such criticisms. I do think vai gets way too robotic at times, but just watch him play, it's clear he's enjoying himself.

@bathory:

I disagree that "soul" or emotion can't be judged in music. Here's a really simple example. Compare:

https://www.youtube....h?v=tZamjrXCDvo

With:

https://www.youtube....h?v=yyfNHlqymP8

Malmsteen is technically much better than Perry. But which one "feels" right?

Yes, I know this is subjective BTW

1. 5150

2. Eat Em And Smile

3. OU812

4. Skyraper

DLR-era Van Halen is arguably the greatest rock band ever, and Eat 'Em is great, but 5150 is slightly better. No one can compete with that rhythm section and Eddie was still peaking with his musical compositions. Despite Hagar's sappy lyrics, there is some raw emotion on that album. It got too commercial with the following Sam Halen albums IMO.

I hear ya Rick! Just wanted to try and get a nice debate going! I've been listening to the first six VH albums all week. They are addicting and they never get old.

Eddie is a Pioneer.

I guess I should have written a thread: "Who is the better guitarist? Steve Vai or Joe Satriani.

I do believe Vai took lessons from Joe.

Eddie definitely has more BALLS than Vai.

I love the movie "Crossroads!" Vai is the Devil! Classic!