Rush fan = Yes fan?

GeddyLee

This is probably a good thread for this question...

My son (18 yrs old) is a Rush fan, and also likes Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Zep, and the Beatles, in that order.

He knows a couple of Yes songs and enjoys them...they are Tempus Fugit and Roundabout.

What would be the best place, album wise or song wise, to start him out?

I start with the Yes Album Fragile or Close to the Edge

Mick

Any of those three.

Quick story about Close To The Edge. I was doing some work around my parents house last week and had some Yes going. Close To The Edge came on and my wife says "what is that noise?" (the first couple minutes) and I said one of the greatest songs of all time.... :LOL: She must think I'm nuts....

Annoy her even more.....put on Tales From Topographic oceans Narps, lol

Mick

:rfl: Nope. I am not even a fan of that one....

Do not say that to Segue, lol. he's coo coo segue-y for it, lol

I have to be in the mood.

Mick

I know he loves it but there is always next week so maybe he will change his mind. I would have to be laying back under an Oak tree in the middle of nowhere (with the headphones on) on a lazy summer afternoon smoking something to enjoy that one I am afraid.... :codger:

I'm not that into Yes. I went through a phase where I listened to them a lot a few years ago but their style of music is not for me. I do greatly enjoy a few of their tracks:

Changes (x1000, Trevor Rabin is a musical genius)

Tempus Fugit

Awaken

Starship Trooper

Then some of the "hits":

And You And I

Owner

Roundabout

Siberian Khatru

Close To The Edge

Other than that I'm not that big a fan of them. I'm not into that whole "mystical Rivendell" kind of music that their stuff comes off as to me. Rush wins by a landslide because of the balls they provide to their music.

My son (18 yrs old) is a Rush fan, and also likes Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Zep, and the Beatles, in that order.

He knows a couple of Yes songs and enjoys them...they are Tempus Fugit and Roundabout.

Mick

Any of those three.

Quick story about Close To The Edge. I was doing some work around my parents house last week and had some Yes going. Close To The Edge came on and my wife says "what is that noise?" (the first couple minutes) and I said one of the greatest songs of all time.... :LOL: She must think I'm nuts....

Mick

Mick

I know he loves it but there is always next week so maybe he will change his mind. I would have to be laying back under an Oak tree in the middle of nowhere (with the headphones on) on a lazy summer afternoon smoking something to enjoy that one I am afraid.... :codger:

Excuse the language. but it's ultra masturbatory on the bands part.......Rick wakeman left over it, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Any of those three.

Mick

Mick

Excuse the language. but it's ultra masturbatory on the bands part.......Rick wakeman left over it, lol

Mick

Very and I can understand why he left.....
  • Like 1

Don't know why so many Rush fans are Yes fans. Could be coincidence. I like the lyrical style that Jon Anderson offers. In some way, I prefer it because you can create your own meanings.

As far as Tales from Topopgraphic Oceans, I love that one, but I initially didn't like it. It takes awhile, but often people end up liking it.

• Like 1

Don't know why so many Rush fans are Yes fans. Could be coincidence. I like the lyrical style that Jon Anderson offers. In some way, I prefer it because you can create your own meanings.

As far as Tales from Topopgraphic Oceans, I love that one, but I initially didn't like it. It takes awhile, but often people end up liking it.

I may have to give it another shot some day. Maybe half one day and the other half the next day or something. Maybe I could listen to VT in between to make it sound even more appealing... :huh:
  • Like 1

I have a 3.5 hour documentary on Yes which involves mostly interviews by the band members and those associated with them. From 1968 thru 2004. Great documentary and one was just made of Genesis in the same style which I hope to get eventually.

By a bizarre twist of fate I ended up starting with Highlights... it convinced me that this was a band to keep around. But yeah, he should start with one of their "real" albums, esp. TYE-CTTE. All three of those are excellent.

Thanks...and thanks to all for the comments....

• Like 1

Guys I started with Tales.

Is that normal? I loved it from the first two minutes of Revealing. And the whole damn thing is perfection in my book!

And for the record, I think Rush are the better band. But Tales has been on my radar for a year now, and it is definitely in my top ten, next to Toto, Lacuna Coil and possibly Rush...

all in one shot for Tales does not workfor me.......one disc......IF i'm in the mood.

they're both seperatly around 40 mins so it works.

Mick

This week alone i have played that album from start to finish in one sitting around a dozen times.

I may grow to love other Yes albums more, but for me and my oddball tastes, it was the PERFECT introduction. I still cant get into CTTEas much as some other guys here, but GFTO and Fragile have really made an impression. Relayer is the equal to Tales in my book, maybe even having the edge as i adore Soon.

• Like 2

I have noticed that A LOT of people on this forum really likes Yes!

Am I like the only Rush fan that don't like Yes? Is it something special that you have to like Yes if you like Rush?

I can't stand Yes. Jon Anderson has an annoying high voice. Sort of like that bass player from Canada.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 2

For me, I have enjoyed Yes, but not enough yet to be motivated to delve into their discography.

I do own the Drama album, and love it, as well think its a great starting place for Rush fans (Sorry Narp, but I am at odds with you, all the content on Drama blows me away). I should note that my opinion is a bit biased, because I am a big fan of The Buggles, so having Trevor Horn sing and Geoffrey Downs do the Keyboards instead of Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman (or whom ever else has done keys for yes), wins some major points from me. Trevor Horn in particular is a genius writer and producer. The Bias goes further considering that White Car, Into the Lens, and Run Through the Light were Buggles songs adapted for Yes.

• Like 1

I have a 3.5 hour documentary on Yes which involves mostly interviews by the band members and those associated with them. From 1968 thru 2004. Great documentary and one was just made of Genesis in the same style which I hope to get eventually.

Funny, I'm watching genesis: sum of the parts right now. One of the best docs I've ever seen.

I was (and still am) a big ELP addict. Somehow, I thought of Yes as the 'competition', and I never took the effort to explore their music. My son was a Rush fan before me and turned me on to Rush. He is also a Yes fan, and I trust his taste in music, so Yes must be alright... I just need to take the time to check them out.
  • Like 1

Funny, I'm watching genesis: sum of the parts right now. One of the best docs I've ever seen.

Is that the one they just recorded for the BBC?

My rankings for albums as it stands (If you want to know)

1. The Yes album

2. Relayer

3. Fragile

4. Close to the Edge

5. Going for the One

6. Tales

7. The Ladder )This one was a nice surprise)

8. Tormato.

9.. 90125(

10. Magnification (This, like the Ladder was a nice surprise)

11. Drama (Good tunes, but Anderson-less)

12. Big Generator

13. Time and a Word.

14. Talk

15. Open your Eyes

16. Yes

17. Union

I don't have the most recent ones.......but the question is. Are they Worth it? I know no Anderson AGAIN.......so should i bother? and i know i didn't include the Keys albums but there just certain studio tracks so.......

Mick

My rankings for albums as it stands (If you want to know)

1. The Yes album

2. Relayer

3. Fragile

4. Close to the Edge

5. Going for the One

6. Tales

7. The Ladder )This one was a nice surprise)

8. Tormato.

9.. 90125(

10. Magnification (This, like the Ladder was a nice surprise)

11. Drama (Good tunes, but Anderson-less)

12. Big Generator

13. Time and a Word.

14. Talk

15. Open your Eyes

16. Yes

17. Union

I don't have the most recent ones.......but the question is. Are they Worth it? I know no Anderson AGAIN.......so should i bother? and i know i didn't include the Keys albums but there just certain studio tracks so.......

Mick

Don't get the last two. FFH is ok but completely non-essential. HAA... sucks.

• Like 1