Steven Wilson's 4th Solo Album

Union 5-3992

This album is a true masterpiece imo. It takes the best elements from Porcupine Tree and his previous solo work, plus some new musical territories and the results are just spectacular! I not only rate it far above the other Steven Wilson solo work, I think it's better than all of Porcupine Tree's albums bar The Sky Moves Sideways. I urge anyone who hasn't heard the album yet to check it out, I REALLY doubt you'll be disappointed. And as a bonus, the riff in 3 Years Older sounds like the lovechild of Xanadu and The Wreckers - that can't be a bad thing right!? Edited by Drummerrobin

The transition on 3 Years Older, around 2:54 reminds me a lot of The Holy Drinker. Such amazing musicianship. I cannot say at this point, to any degree at all, that HCE is better than The Raven. IMO, Raven is one of the most perfect things Steven Wilson has done to date. But... like I always do, I'll listen to it obsessively for a while. So maybe I'll change my mind.

The transition on 3 Years Older, around 2:54 reminds me a lot of The Holy Drinker. Such amazing musicianship. I cannot say at this point, to any degree at all, that HCE is better than The Raven. IMO, Raven is one of the most perfect things Steven Wilson has done to date. But... like I always do, I'll listen to it obsessively for a while. So maybe I'll change my mind.

Hey Sully!! Hi!

This album will be amazing. The Holy Drinker? I prefer "Holy Diver!" LOL!

Cheers!

Listened full through about five times and finding it really exceptional. Love the melodies and song structure, as well as the various musical styles and production. As good as the Raven is, I'm enjoying this more overall. Cant wait to hear these tunes live in DC. Edited by greg2112
  • Like 1

Finished my 5th listen today, I still think the 2nd half from Home Invasion through the end is still the strongest of the two halves of the album IMO although the 1st half (sans Routine which is on the same level for me as the 2nd half of H.C.E.) is growing on me a bit me. I'm quite convinced that to my ears, the album feels shorter than 66 minutes which is a REALLY good thing.
  • Like 1

Everything about Perfect Life sucks. I'm fine with everything else now.

Everything except Perfect Life is fine with you including the title track? Says the guy who thought the title track sounds like a Disneyworld commercial! :LOL:

Just my opinion but that and Perfect Life are so okay it's average at best (translation: they're the weakest link on the album) individually outside the concept of the album. Don't get me wrong, the title track is catchy with its hooks and all which is a good change but can annoy me just as easily. I guess it's too catchy that it could drive me into a state of musical meshuggah when I want to listen to other stuff since it's hard for the chorus to get out of my head.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Everything about Perfect Life sucks. I'm fine with everything else now.

Everything except Perfect Life is fine with you including the title track? Says the guy who thought the title track sounds like a Disneyworld commercial! :LOL:

Just my opinion but that and Perfect Life are so okay it's average at best (translation: they're the weakest link on the album) individually outside the concept of the album. Don't get me wrong, the title track is catchy with its hooks and all which is a good change but can annoy me just as easily. I guess it's too catchy that it could drive me into a state of musical meshuggah when I want to listen to other stuff since it's hard for the chorus to get out of my head.

Yeah, it still definitely has that disney / expensive resort commercial sound to it, but it only gets better as it goes on. 3/5

on another note, Transcience is a beautiful 5/5 piece.

• Like 1

Well well well if isn't the RUSH Wilson slaves bragging about the new album KNOWING full well that I haven't got mine yet!! :boohoo:

You can always be a cheap asshole and legally download it somewhere. That's what I do.

• Like 1

Well well well if isn't the RUSH Wilson slaves bragging about the new album KNOWING full well that I haven't got mine yet!! :boohoo:

You can always be a cheap asshole and legally download it somewhere. That's what I do.

Never! :madra:

• Like 2

Still?! Did you order it off of Burning Shed or something?

One of these days I'lll have it in my hands and I think I'll appreciate it more than you RUSH Wilson worshipers!

Two days until the gig in Manchester...plus we get Guthrie and Marco here in the UK. :P

Lucky. Its killing me that Im not going to see Marco here in DC in May. Sure the show will still be great, but man.

Edited by greg2112

One of these days I'lll have it in my hands and I think I'll appreciate it more than you RUSH Wilson worshipers!

Believe me, it will be worth the wait. Where on earth did you order it from though? I got mine from Burning Shed on 28th February.

• Like 1

Believe me, it will be worth the wait. Where on earth did you order it from though? I got mine from Burning Shed on 28th February.

I can never tell! I'm sworn to secrecy! :AlienSmiley:

• Like 1

Two days until the gig in Manchester...plus we get Guthrie and Marco here in the UK. :P

So who did he get for the US leg?

Craig Blundell on Drums (Studio ringer and Roland clinician) and Dave Kilmister on guitar (plays David Gilmour's parts in Roger Waters' band)

Craig Blundell on Drums (Studio ringer and Roland clinician) and Dave Kilmister on guitar (plays David Gilmour's parts in Roger Waters' band)

Oh yeah he's a good guitar player, not sure about the drummer but he must be good too.

Oh yeah he's a good guitar player, not sure about the drummer but he must be good too.

He's on youtube - he recently recorded very progressive odd-time drums for John Mitchell's Lonely Robot. Pretty slamming drummer - his electronic percussion work is world class, and his acoustic not too shabby either! I will miss Marco, but am interested to see how Craig fits in (he was at rehearsals yesterday with Marco and the opening night show which just ended!)

• Like 1