What decade does Permanent Waves really belong in?

Lorraine

This

http://cdn2.retrowaste.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/1970s-Collage.jpg

or . . .

Now that you put it that way, who wants the album with Farrah, The Bee Gees, the mohawk man and Mr. Jaws? Oh Lord, I see Richard Nixon too. :facepalm:

This is like chess. I'd have Ziggy Stardust handle the Goblin King. I'd have Jaws bite on Axl's neck. Scooby Doo bite on Madonna's. And Travis Bickle bite everyone else's.

Oh, is this still the Permanent Waves thread?

Is the mohawk guy supposed to be Robert DeNiro?

Taxi Driver. De Niro. Travis Bickle.

Yes, I know. Saw the movie.

This

or . . .

Now that you put it that way, who wants the album with Farrah, The Bee Gees, the mohawk man and Mr. Jaws? Oh Lord, I see Richard Nixon too. :facepalm:

This is like chess. I'd have Ziggy Stardust handle the Goblin King. I'd have Jaws bite on Axl's neck. Scooby Doo bite on Madonna's. And Travis Bickle bite everyone else's.

Yes but this photo has opened yet another can of worms.

What decade does Scooby Doo really belong in?

I say the 60's!!!!

Scooby Do is just a rip-off of Fred Flintstone's dog Dino. Can't you see the resemblance?

This

or . . .

I say the 60's!!!!

:LOL: yeah, tail end of '69

• Like 1

This

or . . .

Didn't you recognize Travis in Mohawk then?

This

or . . .

I say the 60's!!!!

:LOL: yeah, tail end of '69

Right ron ran!

Best cartoon ever.

This

or . . .

Didn't you recognize Travis in Mohawk then?

I did. Not in my first post, but in my later one. That's why we are talking about Robert DeNiro.

If we run out of things to talk about, remind me about green yule log poops. There's a story behind it.

Enough of those and you'd have quite an interesting set of Jenga.

Just think - 36 years ago today, in 1979, Permanent Waves was a done deal - recorded, pressed, packed and ready to be shipped so that all could have it on January 1, 1980.

Yes, so everyone could get the FIRST ALBUM OF THE 1980's. :haz:

• Like 1

Just think - 36 years ago today, in 1979, Permanent Waves was a done deal - recorded, pressed, packed and ready to be shipped so that all could have it on January 1, 1980.

Its a musical time capsule sealed shut in 1979.

Opened in 1980 but the contents are from 1979.

Edited by tangy
  • Like 3

Its a musical time capsule sealed shut in 1979.

Opened in 1980 but the contents are from 1979.

Tangy, I like the way you think! :)

• Like 1

Some radio stations would have it spinning on their record players even sooner.

• Like 1

Some radio stations would have it spinning on their record players even sooner.

Clearly making it an album of the seventies with a vision for the future. :)

• Like 3

Who's going to be the first party pooper to do away with their Santa hat avatar ?

I'm keeping mine till the Epiphany or as my mother calls it Puerto Rican Christmas on January 6th.

Who's going to be the first party pooper to do away with their Santa hat avatar ?

I'm keeping mine till the Epiphany or as my mother calls it Puerto Rican Christmas on January 6th.

Why do you hate Puerto Ricans?

I don't hate Puerto Ricans my maternal side of the family is exclusively Puerto Rican. My mother hates Puerto Ricans.

I don't hate Puerto Ricans my maternal side of the family is exclusively Puerto Rican. My mother hates Puerto Ricans.

Oh, okay. :)

yep, like a lot of us i was there, and for me that album definitely marked the beginning of the 80s, with it's kinda new wave vibe to it... still sounds so Avant Garde it could have been released today. Rush at their very very best. written by the gods. every single note.

yep, like a lot of us i was there, and for me that album definitely marked the beginning of the 80s, with it's kinda new wave vibe to it... still sounds so Avant Garde it could have been released today. Rush at their very very best. written by the gods. every single note.

This.

It doesn't matter when it was recorded, 80's album, it doesn't matter when its released, 80's album obviously. What matters is that its really great music. Rush at their best.

• Like 1

Why does your mother hate herself? I don't get it.

• Like 2

New Wave vibe? I'm not hearing it. I was there too, and at the time I didn't think it sounded any more New Wave (which started in the late '70s) than did '77's News of the World or '79's In Through the Out Door. "It had reggae in it!" So did 1973's D'yer Ma'ker (I've never understood the reggae equals '80s argument). What did sound New Wave was Blondie, The Cars, Talking Heads, B-52s, etc. ('70s New Wave) and I thought PeW sounded nothing like any of that. In fact, at the time I thought the title was a metaphorical middle finger directed at "New" wave; as in, it's a fad, here's "permanent" waves. I do though think that from Signals on Rush did incorporate a lot of elements of '80s New Wave, esp GUP through HYF.

At any rate, I think you're right about PeW being timeless. It could be released today and it would be awesome. Young types used to 60+ minute play lengths might wonder about the short play time, but other than that the album would hold its own, no doubt.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

One more thought. To my thinking, the " '80's " started on August 1, 1981, with the airing of MTV's inaugural video, "Video Killed the Radio Star." So, February's Moving Pictures was actually a '70s album! That's right, glad to have cleared that up.

With music in general, stylistically, 1980 and '81 were really carryovers of what had been started in the late '70s, making Moving Pictures Rush's last '70s album and Signals their first '80s album (though "The Analog Kid" was their last '70s song). After Signals, they were a full-on '80s band, for better or for worse.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3