No Tom Sawyer on the A Show Of Hands CD

YYZumbi

Neil has explicitly stated he doesn't tire of playing Tom Sawyer, and he stated in one of his books that CTTH is boring and simple. They generally will put a little jam in CTTH to make it fun (or less boring) for them to play.

Another song Neil has stated he loves playing is Mystic Rhythms.

Edited by Slack jaw gaze
  • Like 3

Neil has explicitly stated he doesn't tire of playing Tom Sawyer, and he stated in one of his books that CTTH is boring and simple. They generally will put a little jam in CTTH to make it fun (or less boring) for them to play.

That is exactly what Neil (and I think Geddy and Alex have generally concurred) has said for a few years... they are bored with CTTH.

I completely agree they have mixed up the closing for years just to have a little fun... and honestly some of their greatest moments at the many shows I have attended have come within those jams (although the last few times they have played it have been a bit of a let down - but I am not knocking them... they can do whatever they want at this point).

Have Rush played a show since Moving Pictures came out that hasn't included Tom Sawyer?

Only once, in Quebec City on the Clockwork Angels tour they had to cut the show early due to the threat of a potential thunderstorm, and Tom Sawyer had not been played yet (They made it through The Garden before they had to call it quits)

Now I really wish Tom Sawyer was on A Show of Hands.

You know what? As enthusiastic as you are about every one of Rush's shitty songs, your sure don't seem like a Rush fan when you are gleeful that Tom Sawyer isn't on one live album. And if Tom Sawyer had been on that album, you never would have bitched about it being included.

It's no different from people being enthusiastic about everything Rush pre-Signals and bashing Tai Shan, Half The World and Dog Years (although they suck). So what if he likes songs that you find shitty?

You know what? As enthusiastic as you are about every one of Rush's shitty songs, your sure don't seem like a Rush fan when you are gleeful that Tom Sawyer isn't on one live album. And if Tom Sawyer had been on that album, you never would have bitched about it being included.

It's no different from people being enthusiastic about everything Rush pre-Signals and bashing Tai Shan, Half The World and Dog Years (although they suck). So what if he likes songs that you find shitty?

I enjoy those three songs.

• Like 3

I enjoy those three songs.

:cheers:

I was just thinking about something today, that I haven't thought about before...

I was listening to the A Show Of Hands CD today, and notice, there is no Tom Sawyer on it!

That makes me so damn happy! Unless they are gonna put out the whole concert on CD/Vinyl, then don't waste the space on Tom Sawyer!

A song that have been played so many times, and is on every live album (except for A Show Of Hands!), and every Rush-greatest hits-album.

It's not on All the World's a Stage.

Well ofcourse not, it wasn't made yet...

But you said every live album...

A Show of Hands has Closer to the Heart. That's a far worse offender than Tom Sawyer...at least TS has the most popular song "prestige" tied to it. They unnecessarily threw Closer to the Heart on way too many releases.

Closer To The Heart is MUCH better then Tom Sawyer!

I hugely hugely disagree. I'm sure most others would as well.

Closer to the Heart is way better than Tom Sawyer. Way better.

I noticed that the dvd is 90 minutes long. Ten minutes more than a cd can contain, but the vinyl version is a two lp set. Each side of a lp can contain around 25 minutes which gives 100 minutes, enough to put Tom Sawyer and Territories on there. Now I don't know why they aren't but maybe record labels and musician didn't thought so much about it back then? :huh:

I just looked at the cd and noticed that Territories isn't on it either. That Geddy sure can move!!! :wub:

:(

With the exception of CTTH, no songs were included that had previously released live versions (same thing with ESL vs. ATWAS). That was the idea. CTTH was included due to how sterile the ESL version was. They were apparently quite disappointed so they included it on A Show of Hands. Edited by Justin Case

With the exception of CTTH, no songs were included that had previously released live versions (same thing with ESL vs. ATWAS). That was the idea. CTTH was included due to how sterile the ESL version was. They were apparently quite disappointed so they included it on A Show of Hands.

But I love the version on ESL! The crowd sings, aww! It's one of the few high points of that record for me. And one of my least favourite yet it persisted for years Rush things was the extended coda on later versions of CTTH. Especially as they were mostly during the Wal years, and that sound is especially frustrating on old songs I find.

Edited by gudbuytjane

I was just thinking about something today, that I haven't thought about before...

I was listening to the A Show Of Hands CD today, and notice, there is no Tom Sawyer on it!

That makes me so damn happy! Unless they are gonna put out the whole concert on CD/Vinyl, then don't waste the space on Tom Sawyer!

A song that have been played so many times, and is on every live album (except for A Show Of Hands!), and every Rush-greatest hits-album.

:goodone:

A Show of Hands has Closer to the Heart. That's a far worse offender than Tom Sawyer...at least TS has the most popular song "prestige" tied to it. They unnecessarily threw Closer to the Heart on way too many releases.

Whaaaaaaaa???

Whaaaaaaaa???

Oooooh I get tired of Huckleberry Finn at times but I can't go there.

As much as i am over Tom Sawyer and Spirit being played on various live albums and dvds and for that matter compilations,it is those songs that fans or the casual listener are going to want to hear from them.Imagine if Zep didn't do Stairway at O2.Sabbath Paranoid?Purple,Smoke?However i am glad that a ASOH doesn't have TS or any older songs apart from CTTH because as we all know their live albums came after every four studio lps and to refect upon those releases.The same arguement coud be said why no Anthem or 2112 on ESL.I suppose the reason CTTH was included on ASOH is because of the little jam in which they breakaway from the studio version and let their hair down(without going bald).

That is exactly what Neil (and I think Geddy and Alex have generally concurred) has said for a few years... they are bored with CTTH.

Fine. But you play the song, because it's a fan-favorite and always a fun moment in the show.

First-world multi-millionaire problem.

ETA: I just got home from work, and you know what...I had to do boring things that I didn't want to do because others demanded it. Man...does it rub me the wrong way when artists play the "prisoner of a popular work" card. They can all :kisshug: my :moon: .

Edited by goose