TRF members as Rush Album Ambassadors

RushBoingo

It's sonically awesome, having been masterfully mastered by Nick Raskuellnics (I know I probablyy spelt that wrong, forgive me Nick), and, following Vapor Trails and Snakes and Arrows, doesn't disappoint. This is Rush's first full concept album, differing from 2112 and Hemispheres as they only had one epic song on the first side. Words cannot describe the intensity and excellence of this album, and Neil Leart's lyrics have never been better. This is truly an album for the ages!

How's that?

Excellent. I feel like I've found my brutha from anutha mutha.

What really blows mind is how it packs great song after song. We got 5 all-timers on this thing. They even got a song that isn't a song—and that one still kicks ass. Man I hope they keep Nick. He knowz wuz up!

This album makes all the 70's stuff look like childs play.

When I hit 60, I wanna be that amazing.

I LOVE CA!

But I disagree about it being better than the seventies...

Stuff from the 70's is so dated. Great stuff, but Clockwork Angels has more balls than all of that era's music put together.

CA plays it very safe to me

Turn in thy Rush card. Just kidding dude. That statement is funny. Ain't nothing "safe" about CA

As for the songs themselves, nothing here is exactly groundbreaking or even new for the band

This is where you're off.

The album is chock full of new sonic creations.

HF?

CA?

Caravan?

SCOG?

HE?

BU2B?

The Wreckers?

Carnies?

The Anarchist?

The Garden?

WTW?

What, on God's green earth, isn't new or fresh about these freaking songs?

The songs are new, yes, but nothing groundbreaking! And of course it does help that they are the best songs the band has written for years, maybe even decades. But they are all fairly standard rock songs, the best of them harking back to the sound of the seventies, but without really breaking new ground musically, in fact, nowhere do they sound at their peak. Clockwork Angels is a beast of a song, but compare it to Xanadu or even The Camera Eye, it just sort of reaches towards that level but doesn't quite make its goal. Headlong Flight is an ace track, absolutely astonishing, but it borrows again from the old sound and simply sounds like a terrific rock song, but not a particularly modern one. The Garden is beautiful, and a refreshing closer.

But their masterpiece? No. Bands like Muse released groundbreaking and experimental albums in 2012, the only thing keeping them below the high standard of Rush's CA is the fact CA really was that great! But it still doesn't change the fact that other bands are pushing music forward, or even making the best of what is current, in much the same way as Rush did at the peak of their creative powers.

But CA, their best album? Looking at facts on a paper, it really is just an ordinary rock album. Sure it is their first full concept album, but the story fails to be coherent. I honestly have no idea what the story is about, which is funny considering Red Barchetta set up a whole futuristic setting wih a small world tale that successfully set pulses racing and the mind thinking in just a few short minutes...and as a long-form conceptual piece, it is better than The Fountain Of Lamneth or Hemispheres, but only because the music is tighter. 2112 still walks all over this, with an emotional urgency and firey passion that manages to overcome its almost juvenile premise.

Seriously, Rush have created albums of such power and greatness, havingin the past pushed their talents to the max, resulting in the creation of highly memorable tunes. CA is all of these, but not quite to their highest standard, which I think is clear once you take a closer examination.

CA is great enough to be a favourite, but great enough to be placed above historical milestones such as 2112 or Moving Pictures? Sorry, no way! If a young band created this, the world would be their oyster. But a legendary forty year old- and counting- band wrote this, and their real glories shine much brighter than this!

Thought about this for a while. Some observations and questions for Segue:

To say that CA doesn't break new ground for Rush seems incorrect. Every song on the album breaks new ground while in some way "sounding" like themselves. Every song is unique and powerful. In terms of reaching the level of Xanadu or TCE in terms of complexity or length, they already did that. Long form conceptual pieces are not where the band is currently. They're not reaching for the past, though the songs sound inherently like Rush.

What does sounding "modern" mean? When I read the term "pushing music forward" music I think of NIN, Metallica, or someone who invented a genre. I guess they would be groundbreakers.

HF sounds like a typical rock song? What is a typical rock song? There's a ton of nuance and new direction for the band in that piece.

Fair points!

Like I said, I love the album. Maybe I should have left it at that...

In my mind...

Groundbreaking sets everyone else on a new path. Showing the music scene a whole new approach.

Modern and fresh is closer to matching the existing scene and breaking away from what you yourself have done in the past. A departure from yourself towards the modern sound if you will.

Am I close? :huh:

Yes yes yes!!! Very close (to the edge—pun intended)!

• Like 1

I'm taking Hemispheres and I'll fight anyone who tries to take it from me. :smash:

KennyLee? (No offense, but I'll vote for Kenny. I suspect he sleeps with the LP sleeve.)

:yes:

I've never fought a girl... but for Hemispheres?

:bang bang: - - - - (Anyone else)

I'm claiming the "red vinyl" Hemispheres - it sounds way better than the crappy regular "black vinyl" LPs.

Keep it. I will be the Ambassador of my original copy with all of the scratches on it from where I dropped the needle 5,000 times ti learn the bass solo in La Villa and the extra deep grooves on side 1 from playing it over and over and over and... you get the idea.

I keep it next to my 5 gallon bucket of worn out needles.

I just spent my last weekend in NJ playing Hemispheres: Prelude, The Sphere, Circumstances, The Trees and La Villa Strangiato (with full jazz breakdown and Lerxst rant) at RatCon.

I know every note of that song and will except all challengers.

:bang bang:

Who did the Lerxst rant and what did he rant about?

Our guitar player, of course. Much like Alex's rants I have no idea. It was just a stream of consciousness. The whole afternoon is actually on the internet. I'll look for it. There was a live stream of the event while we played.

We were introduced by the wonderful Donna Halper herself. What a great weekend.

I saw your video up on Facebook. You guys did great!

How about we share Hemispheres? I don't want to fight you over it. It's too much awesomeness for just one person. Though I have to say I can play the entire album as well. :LOL:

I'm cool with that although NO ONE else with us. If you can't play all of Hemispheres you're not with us. Haha

Thank you by the way for the kind words. RatCon was so much fun and Donna posted a lovely message on my FB page. She was great and treated us very nicely.

How about we share Hemispheres? I don't want to fight you over it. It's too much awesomeness for just one person. Though I have to say I can play the entire album as well. :LOL:

How can I find this video? Do I have to join facebook?

Here is a link. I probably drank more than I should have but I was caught up in the event a bit. Still... lots of fun.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/49968922

Also, the heat and direct sunlight not only had my keyboard and pedal patches screwy, I couldn't see any of my LED's. Haha Live and learn.

Welp, 7 whole pages and I'm still the only contender for AFTK ambassador! :)

I guess I'm officially the unofficial ambassador of A Farewell To Kings! I'd ask for some kind of coronation, but that would be hypocritical seeing as the album I'm representing represents, well...a FAREWELL to KINGS. ;) :LOL:

• Like 2

Here is a link. I probably drank more than I should have but I was caught up in the event a bit. Still... lots of fun.

http://www.ustream.t...corded/49968922

Also, the heat and direct sunlight not only had my keyboard and pedal patches screwy, I couldn't see any of my LED's. Haha Live and learn.

I've been watching and listening to your performance at the Ratcon. Very fine work! You guys played a ton of music, and apart from the power failures (which must have been so frustrating), I thought you did a great job. Plus you have about a billion dollars worth of gear...

I can listen to all of Hemi. But it's going to be a sardine at some point in the future, so I'll refrain.

EDIT: Warzone, not sardine! Spaghetticorrect is at it again... I'll leave the original out so that everyone can see my phone's utter stupidity.

Edited by len(songs)

http://www.ustream.t...corded/49968922

I've been watching and listening to your performance at the Ratcon. Very fine work! You guys played a ton of music, and apart from the power failures (which must have been so frustrating), I thought you did a great job. Plus you have about a billion dollars worth of gear...

Thanks! Yeah, we we're popping circuits often. Haha. There are greater tragedies in life.

Slightly less than a billion. Haha My keyboard set up is actually very dated. Time to upgrade. Can I borrow half a billion dollars? Hahaha

No contest for HYF then...? :D

I'd take it. Especially now that I know Narpski hates it.

This is even funnier. It appears that I am the ambassador for HYF. :joker:

Correction: upon further reading of the thread, it appears I came to my senses am the ambassador for Exit...Stage Left. :madra:

Presto for me!

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hey Segue, what happened? Some Presto ambassador you are! ;) ;)

I just noticed this...

...It may not be my favourite Rush album, but it contains several of my top ten tracks. Has to be this...if only for Chain Lightning.

Can I nominate myself for Clockwork Angels ambassador?

Yes. It looks like Tombstone is the official ambassador, but he's been MIA lately. I'm sure he would love for you to step in when he is unavailable. :)

Yay!

Edited by Disk98

Presto for me!

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

I just noticed this...

...It may not be my favourite Rush album, but it contains several of my top ten tracks. Has to be this...if only for Chain Lightning.

I must have missed your defense of the album on the other thread. I'll go back and look for it. :)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Presto for me!

Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

I just noticed this...

I must have missed your defense of the album on the other thread. I'll go back and look for it. :)

Have I ever not defended it?

Just noting, I'm still the official unofficial ambassador of the majesty that is A Farewell To Kings (see, it says so in my sig ;) ).

Xanadu for R40!

Just a reminder, I am currently the ambassador for both Power Windows, and A Show Of Hands at the moment. A Show of Hands is free to take if you have a good case.